2023 Fall Sociology Applications - Support, Advice, Results, Etc

SportySpice

2 minutes ago, sociodriw22 said:

Anyone know when UMich sociology usually release decisions? Cant find any info from previous years 

Based on previous years results, I'm expecting for them to begin releasing decisions in mid-February. 

Keep in mind, however, that a lot of programs seem to be running a bit behind their "normal" schedule compared to past cycles.

1 hour ago, ayitao said:

I feel the next batch of releases is going to be from Berkeley going by previous years, but has anyone heard from Berkeley already?

I feel like everyone and their mother applies to Berkeley so based on the absence on the results page, I'm assuming no one has yet. 

39 minutes ago, whyamIhere said:

Does anyone know when Brown usually release their decisions? Or if anyone has heard from Brown? Based on past cycles reported on GradCafe, it seems like we may get something this week, but programs have been late this cycle. 

Thanks!

I also have not yet heard from Brown, if that's helpful!

4 hours ago, whyamIhere said:

Does anyone know when Brown usually release their decisions? Or if anyone has heard from Brown? Based on past cycles reported on GradCafe, it seems like we may get something this week, but programs have been late this cycle. 

Thanks!

I also applied to Brown and they seem to be completely silent ever since... 

7 hours ago, saffasrass said:

I feel like all bets are off for when to expect results this cycle, which is really really messing with my slightly-OCD mind. Hope everyone here is staying sane and (mostly) distracted!

Tell me about it. Some programs are early and some are late. All bets are definitely off for this cycle and that is driving me slightly insane too.

Hello! Has anyone heard a peep out of IU Bloomington? I know there's nothing on the results board and saw some discussion here about them hoping to have decisions by 1/31 - but I'm just curious and wanted to ask since they seem to have a (although somewhat inconsistent) history of doing interviews! 

I've lurked a little, but decided to make an account and join the forum - I'm a medical sociology PhD applicant! (1a/1r/0w/0i/4p)

Hello;

One of my LOR writers recently suggested me to look at some MA programs that is still open for application as some backup plans. I figure this is also a great distractor or a positive relieve strategy for people like me who have not heard of anything from PhD programs yet. I also want to hear your suggestions: what are some good Master programs still out there?

1 hour ago, RGA126 said:

Hello;

One of my LOR writers recently suggested me to look at some MA programs that is still open for application as some backup plans. I figure this is also a great distractor or a positive relieve strategy for people like me who have not heard of anything from PhD programs yet. I also want to hear your suggestions: what are some good Master programs still out there?

That's definitely a good plan, but many programs haven't released decisions yet. The timeline this year is very strange and expected. I am still waiting on 8 out of 9 programs so I still have a long way to go. For masters programs, the only one I am familiar with is UChicago MAPSS because I am an alumnus. It is a wonderful program and if you didn't apply to UChicago Ph.D., you can still apply because I believe their application is still open. I know the website says that direct applicants and referrals are treated equally and while there is some truths to that, I would say that referrals are usually given better scholarships (I was referred and got most of my tuition waived). 

54 minutes ago, ayitao said:

Does Wisconsin Madison release results in batches? Or if I didn't get an offer yesterday, does this mean I am basically looking at a rejection?

When I applied during the 2021 Cycle they released rejections and acceptances all at once on back-to-back days.

3 hours ago, RGA126 said:

Hello;

2 hours ago, whyamIhere said:

That's definitely a good plan, but many programs haven't released decisions yet. The timeline this year is very strange and expected. I am still waiting on 8 out of 9 programs so I still have a long way to go. For masters programs, the only one I am familiar with is UChicago MAPSS because I am an alumnus. It is a wonderful program and if you didn't apply to UChicago Ph.D., you can still apply because I believe their application is still open. I know the website says that direct applicants and referrals are treated equally and while there is some truths to that, I would say that referrals are usually given better scholarships (I was referred and got most of my tuition waived). 

UCLA also has a similar master in social science program. The cohort is much smaller than the one of UChicago. (I myself is a graduate of UChicago MAPSS). Both programs are great and both provide scholarships. It’s better to choose the one where the faculty members’ research fields best match with your own, since the whole program’s goal is to prepare you for PhD application.

2 hours ago, whyamIhere said:

good for you getting your tuition waived as it is very expensive!

from their webisite

The estimated tuition cost for full-time enrollment for one year (three quarters) is currently $65,145. Additionally, master’s students are required to pay the Graduate Student Services Fee ($1,347 in 2022 – 2023), and may be required to enroll in the University’s student health insurance plan if they do not have comparable coverage ($4,800 in 2022 – 2023).

Indirect costs such as rent, food, transportation, supplies and miscellaneous expenses will vary by living arrangements and spending habits. An itemized list of estimated living expenses can be found here.

A one-time, lifetime transcript fee of $75 is also assessed in full once (to new students) in the autumn quarter billing.

2 hours ago, ayitao said:

Does Wisconsin Madison release results in batches? Or if I didn't get an offer yesterday, does this mean I am basically looking at a rejection?

I just got my rejection letter from Wisconsin..and it seems that they have finalized their decisions.

12 minutes ago, julesevar said:

good for you getting your tuition waived as it is very expensive!

from their webisite

The estimated tuition cost for full-time enrollment for one year (three quarters) is currently $65,145. Additionally, master’s students are required to pay the Graduate Student Services Fee ($1,347 in 2022 – 2023), and may be required to enroll in the University’s student health insurance plan if they do not have comparable coverage ($4,800 in 2022 – 2023).

Indirect costs such as rent, food, transportation, supplies and miscellaneous expenses will vary by living arrangements and spending habits. An itemized list of estimated living expenses can be found here.

A one-time, lifetime transcript fee of $75 is also assessed in full once (to new students) in the autumn quarter billing.

Most people admitted to MAPSS could get scholarships(if not 100%…) It seems that most people get 1/3 or 1/2 tuition waived and fully waived is kind of rare (but if you are exceptional you’ll get it!). I remember there’s also a 2/3 tuition waiver but I’ve never seen one (at least among the people I knew in my cohort). 
UCLA’s tuition is lower. I remember it’s around $30k, and they also offer scholarship to most admitted students. 

22 minutes ago, twolucky said:

I just got my rejection letter from Wisconsin..and it seems that they have finalized their decisions.

Same. Kind of knew it was coming when I didn't get an offer yesterday. But anyway good luck to the both of us with the rest of applications!

4 minutes ago, ayitao said:

Same. Kind of knew it was coming when I didn't get an offer yesterday. But anyway good luck to the both of us with the rest of applications!

Same here. My second rejection after UChicago. Neither is a good fit for me so it's kind of expected. I still got 11 programs that have no news at all. Hope we all have some good news in Feb! It's an exceptionally competitve year. It seems that most programs got more applicants and many of them are also accepting fewer students this year.