2023 Fall Sociology Applications - Support, Advice, Results, Etc

SportySpice

Hello all ? I am back after a tough 2021 cycle (no PhD admits, two MA offers). I am finishing up my MA this semester and reapplied for PhD programs for fall 2023. I'm limited geographically so only applied to Brown (rejected), BU, BC (accepted), and UMass Amherst. I am thrilled to have the BC acceptance and am still hoping for good news from BU and UMass, hopefully this week! In the meantime I have donated all my GRE prep books ? Never again!!!

Hope everyone is finding ways to stay grounded and at peace right now, it's not easy.

Can anyone confirm the Berkeley acceptance on the results page? This is getting real. The only thing I find confusing is if they have had prior contact with the faculty member who emailed about the acceptance, or if anyone admitted would get such a similar email?

Edited by ayitao

31 minutes ago, Planted said:

Got my Brown rejection this morning! Received an email telling me to check the portal for a decision. From past years it looks like they send all acceptances on the same day and then all rejections the next (business) day, and I don't think they do a waitlist, based on past years results. Maybe check your spam folder? I hope there is good news waiting for you!

Sorry to hear that. Hope you already have a good offer so the rejection doesn’t sting too much! Nothing yet from Brown, even in spam. I just want to get the official rejection already so I can move on. 

5 minutes ago, haptomato said:

Does anybody know when the Rutgers decisions will be out? It's been two weeks and more and it is driving me insane!

I'm in the same boat on Rutgers, so I feel you. I don't have a definitive answer, but the interviewer said I would hear back in two to three weeks, so I'm expecting (hoping) we'll get decisions by this Friday.

16 minutes ago, Poor.hungry.Depressed said:

I hope so. This is my top choice - my heart is pounding like crazy right now. Hoping for the best for us!

I was admitted, and received an informal email with an offer letter! The email was personalized to my research interests — not a form one that would be sent out all at once :)

3 minutes ago, gatorade2 said:

I was admitted, and received an informal email with an offer letter! The email was personalized to my research interests — not a form one that would be sent out all at once :)

That's awesome, congratulations! If you don't mind, what are your research interests?

3 hours ago, Planted said:

Hello all ? I am back after a tough 2021 cycle (no PhD admits, two MA offers). I am finishing up my MA this semester and reapplied for PhD programs for fall 2023. I'm limited geographically so only applied to Brown (rejected), BU, BC (accepted), and UMass Amherst. I am thrilled to have the BC acceptance and am still hoping for good news from BU and UMass, hopefully this week! In the meantime I have donated all my GRE prep books ? Never again!!!

Hope everyone is finding ways to stay grounded and at peace right now, it's not easy.

We are living parallel lives! I am also committed to staying in this area, returning to applications (after 2020), have one acceptance (UConn), and am waiting for news from BU and UMass. ?

Congratulations on the BC acceptance! And I'll keep my fingers crossed for you! This all felt like a long shot with finding an excellent department fit within a geographic limitation, so we are both doing great.

Cheers!

3 hours ago, whyamIhere said:

Sorry to hear that. Hope you already have a good offer so the rejection doesn’t sting too much! Nothing yet from Brown, even in spam. I just want to get the official rejection already so I can move on. 

Hi!! I am again in the same situation as you are in. I saw rejections showing up this morning and think I am getting mine soon in the afternoon but so far nothing I have received yet! I hope some final decisions from Brown can come asap...

4 hours ago, Planted said:

Got my Brown rejection this morning! Received an email telling me to check the portal for a decision. From past years it looks like they send all acceptances on the same day and then all rejections the next (business) day, and I don't think they do a waitlist, based on past years results. Maybe check your spam folder? I hope there is good news waiting for you!

Oh god, I really hope they do a waitlist and it just looks like they don't based off of GradCafe updates - I try to remember not everyone out there uses the forum and that there are other possibilities floating out there! I wonder why they (or any program, for that matter) wouldn't waitlist students too? Do they just throw out the acceptances they're willing to and then hoard "excess" funding gained from students who turn down their offers? Seems unfair when there's so much competition for the already few spots available in cohorts each year!

I've been waiting to hear from Brown and am so so anxious, but attempting to brace myself for a rejection, if this is true. Really thought I was an excellent fit for the program, given my research interests/prior publications/research jobs, and matching of interests with several faculty.

8 minutes ago, zh_awk said:

Oh god, I really hope they do a waitlist and it just looks like they don't based off of GradCafe updates - I try to remember not everyone out there uses the forum and that there are other possibilities floating out there! I wonder why they (or any program, for that matter) wouldn't waitlist students too? Do they just throw out the acceptances they're willing to and then hoard "excess" funding gained from students who turn down their offers? Seems unfair when there's so much competition for the already few spots available in cohorts each year!

I've been waiting to hear from Brown and am so so anxious, but attempting to brace myself for a rejection, if this is true. Really thought I was an excellent fit for the program, given my research interests/prior publications/research jobs, and matching of interests with several faculty.

I hope they have a waitlist as well; it is strange that an highly ranked program wouldn't consider waitlisting some applicants. I just got a rejection from one of the programs I applied and while it wasn't my top choice, it still hurts. This and the (potential) rejection from Brown will definitely hurt my mental health this week. 

3 minutes ago, whyamIhere said:

I hope they have a waitlist as well; it is strange that an highly ranked program wouldn't consider waitlisting some applicants. I just got a rejection from one of the programs I applied and while it wasn't my top choice, it still hurts. This and the (potential) rejection from Brown will definitely hurt my mental health this week. 

Ugh me too, this is my second cycle and I know my anxiety won't let up until I get one acceptance - til then, I'm going to be perpetually tense, emotionally and physically. Brown's my second choice and I know I'll feel gutted if/when a rejection comes through, and that's gonna just carry with me until a positive outcome (hopefully) comes from elsewhere.

Good luck to you, keeping everything crossed we both get some positive news soon!

Got my first relection today (I'm in the Brown rejected pack)! The Yale waiting is killing me, I wanna cry. (Just venting!) Also, if anyone has heard anythng about Brandeis sociology, updates are welcome. They seem to be going slow-ish this cycle. 

2 minutes ago, saffasrass said:

I would really like for programs to just start putting me out of my misery ASAP.

Agreed lol I'm trying not to give up hope for IU since we've only seen one acceptance so far, but nearing the end of the work day with no more notifications is killing me. This process really hurts.

1 hour ago, esMarie17 said:

We are living parallel lives! I am also committed to staying in this area, returning to applications (after 2020), have one acceptance (UConn), and am waiting for news from BU and UMass. ?

Congratulations on the BC acceptance! And I'll keep my fingers crossed for you! This all felt like a long shot with finding an excellent department fit within a geographic limitation, so we are both doing great.

Cheers!

Oh wow, that's wild! Maybe our paths will cross at some point!

Congrats on UConn. Did you apply anywhere other than those three? What are your research interests? I agree that it was tough to figure out fit with that limitation. In some ways it was good to have the limiting factor though, I couldn't go too crazy with applications and I have a general sense of where I will be living for the next few years. Sending you some positive vibes and good luck, too!

9 hours ago, whyamIhere said:

Thanks, yeah I have one admit which was a huge relief and definitely took the sting out the (highly anticipated) rejection. It must be so frustrating to not have a definitive answer from Brown yet. I'm holding out hope for you all who haven't heard one way or that other. ?

3 minutes ago, lordofsushi said:

I got my first acceptance recently to Colorado State University via email! They haven't sent out funding information yet, does anyone know when they normally do that? This is my first PhD application cycle so I'm unsure of how this normally works lol.

It's a mixed bag with offers, honestly. Sometimes the information on funding comes with the acceptance, sometimes you get an informal offer from the department and then the "official" offer later from the grad school. Since you didn't get the funding info in your initial offer, you'll likely get a follow up within a week or two with more information. Congratulations!!