2023 Fall Sociology Applications - Support, Advice, Results, Etc

SportySpice

5 hours ago, TKAGOBOY said:

What is holding admission results from University of pittsburgh, University of Florida, Florida State University, University of South Carolina, Georgia state university, University of Wisconsin Milwaukee etc.I 

I have an offer from Florida State already. I was notified about 2 weeks ago or so. I don’t plan to make a decision until the campus visit next month 

Edited by letsgetit21
Typo

9 hours ago, meowsigh said:

I think so-- I saw some acceptances and waitlist entries. Plus, I was waitlisted myself. I don't know if they sent out rejections yet though. 

when i applied last year, they sent out my rejection preeetty late. like, a couple of weeks to a month after they sent out acceptances. i think that's how it will be again this year.

Just got waitlisted at Brandeis. Third waitlist for me, after two rejections, with zero offers at this point. Five more to hear back from but at this rate my faith in myself is severely plummeting.

Good luck to anyone else waiting to hear back from Brandeis, it sounds like it's going to be a small cohort this year!

At this point, can I assume if I haven't heard back from UMass Amherst or BU, that I've been rejected? Part of me would simply like to accept the offer that I have so that the university can move forward and I can start planning. I don't want the folx that are waitlisted for the fellowship that I was offered to wait in limbo for longer than they have to. 

Cautions against my eagerness? 

27 minutes ago, zh_awk said:

Just got waitlisted at Brandeis. Third waitlist for me, after two rejections, with zero offers at this point. Five more to hear back from but at this rate my faith in myself is severely plummeting.

Good luck to anyone else waiting to hear back from Brandeis, it sounds like it's going to be a small cohort this year!

Same here, hugs! Zero offer yet, two waitlisted including Brandeis. Prayer to both of us?

25 minutes ago, esMarie17 said:

At this point, can I assume if I haven't heard back from UMass Amherst or BU, that I've been rejected? Part of me would simply like to accept the offer that I have so that the university can move forward and I can start planning. I don't want the folx that are waitlisted for the fellowship that I was offered to wait in limbo for longer than they have to. 

You should definitely reach out to them and ask about their admission decisions before you make your own, at least from my perspective, especially if one of them is your first or better choice than the one you already received. 

1 hour ago, esMarie17 said:

from what i understand—after now going through the process twice—is that rescinding an offer isn't as uncommon as it is "taboo." some universities don't get back to applicants until right before or (sometimes even right after) the april 15th deadline to let them known they have been taken off their waitlist. most universities try to not let that happen, but it happens virtually every cycle. i wouldn't even necessarily say it's taboo, rather just inconvenient. you don't get your deposit back at the university at which you are accepting the offer + it will more than likely have some departments notifying potential fillers late, but that is what the process is. read through your contract to see if there is anything in there that hinders you from potentially rescinding the offer should you choose to and go from there. in my opinion, i think it would be wise to wait until mid-march to formally accept an offer, but some people like to plan well ahead (i'm already looking for apartments near my current top choice) and that's fine.

11 minutes ago, tsatf said:

i am one of them! received an email from a faculty member that an official offer letter would be incoming soon

Congratulations! May I ask if it was an email from a professor of interest or was it from the director of graduate studies? Also, if you don’t mind sharing your general research area