2023 Fall Sociology Applications - Support, Advice, Results, Etc

SportySpice

1 hour ago, haptomato said:

Anyone heard from Penn State? I saw few acceptances but other than those, it has been radio silent ?

Hi! I was accepted by Penn State back in late January. Director of graduate studies contacted me by email to deliver the news, saying that the portal won't be updated in a while because the admissions have to go through the school first. The portal still isn't updated, but I think unfortunately admissions for Penn State is already over. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news :(

On 2/19/2023 at 1:15 PM, magnets said:

Does anyone know about UMass Amherst's REAL fellowship? I have been recommended to apply. Does anyone know how many apply or how many are admitted? Just trying to get a grasp of my chances here.

Me too. I just received a letter of introduction to REAL fellowship. All I know is how much money they support and their decision is not related to the department of sociology. I believe that the fellowship is for someone from socially marginalized background, in my case, first generation.

3 hours ago, magnets said:

Hi! I was accepted by Penn State back in late January. Director of graduate studies contacted me by email to deliver the news, saying that the portal won't be updated in a while because the admissions have to go through the school first. The portal still isn't updated, but I think unfortunately admissions for Penn State is already over. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news :(

Wow congrats! Did you heard any additional information such as cohort size of this year or waitlist offers? And if you do not mind, could you tell me whether you already accepted an offer or will decline it for the better options?  

Northwestern decisions are out. Another rejection for me. Now at 3 rejections, 3 waitlists, zero offers, 4 more to hear back from, though I know 2 of those are going to be rejections based off of what folks have posted here from those schools.

Y'all, my hope is officially lost. Wishing others much better outcomes than I've gotten.

Seems like admissions journeys are starting to come to a close and I'm feeling conflicted! Still haven't gotten official results from UCSB and Columbia (but saw acceptances so not holding out hope). I've got an acceptance from one place and know I should be grateful about it, but a month of rejection has me feeling uncertain and like I could have somehow done better? Is it stupid to consider reapplying when I have an admission to a pretty good school that I like?! Would love to chat someone having similar second thoughts or someone who reapplied after a similar situation! Hope yall are taking care of yourselves ❤️ 

5 minutes ago, Theadora said:

Seems like admissions journeys are starting to come to a close and I'm feeling conflicted! Still haven't gotten official results from UCSB and Columbia (but saw acceptances so not holding out hope). I've got an acceptance from one place and know I should be grateful about it, but a month of rejection has me feeling uncertain and like I could have somehow done better? Is it stupid to consider reapplying when I have an admission to a pretty good school that I like?! Would love to chat someone having similar second thoughts or someone who reapplied after a similar situation! Hope yall are taking care of yourselves ❤️ 

Feel free to DM me! I'm a current PhD student re-applying this cycle, so I'm going through it right now!

Edited by saffasrass

2 minutes ago, Theadora said:

Following.

I am right now not sure if I should reapply or not since I am only being waitlisted with no offers. If you have previous mentors, or trusted recommenders, they might be good resources to have some feedback and thoughts. ?❤️

Don't give up if your name is on the waitlist! Openings will become available when candidates begin making their decisions next month. Keep in mind that candidates who receive numerous offers can only ultimately select one school. It's possible that you won't get a status update until the end of March or perhaps April. A waitlist option is better than a rejection!

On 2/21/2023 at 2:44 PM, michigan girl said:

I agree with the above poster. I plan to make my decision sometime in mid-to-late March after I have compared all offers. It's very important to have all the information to make an informed decision. Sometimes, many fellowship awards don't become available until late March. 

@sugarplz @ohnoherewegoagain @michigan girl I really appreciate your insight and encouragement to chill. The funding that I received is a 5-year no-service fellowship from the university, in addition to my department assistantship. I guess I feel a little guilty not accepting right away, in case they have students on a waitlist for the fellowship. But I am going to pause on decision-making and continue meeting with a few people from the university. 

Thank you again for helping me and others navigate a murky process. I'm not sure that I have much to reciprocate, but I wish you luck!

21 minutes ago, esMarie17 said:

@sugarplz @ohnoherewegoagain @michigan girl I really appreciate your insight and encouragement to chill. The funding that I received is a 5-year no-service fellowship from the university, in addition to my department assistantship. I guess I feel a little guilty not accepting right away, in case they have students on a waitlist for the fellowship. But I am going to pause on decision-making and continue meeting with a few people from the university. 

Thank you again for helping me and others navigate a murky process. I'm not sure that I have much to reciprocate, but I wish you luck!

I can confirm I received one directly from the DGS with funding information included.

Edited by saffasrass

Hi, I know it's kinda hopeless but can someone confirm the Princeton acceptance? If it is correct, how does it go for you? Do you know which schools do rolling admission this cycle. Very new to the forum and I wish I know about this sooner. Good luck everybody on their application! Thank you for answering my questions.

Just a question for those with more insight: if I don't hear from Princeton today (seeing as people have posted acceptances) does this mean a no from Princeton then? Have they released decisions over a few days or just all at once?

Hi all, I'm a first time applicant and I'm beyond confused and stressed. I see a bunch of people have been accepted/rejected from schools I've applied to and I've heard NADA. 

Do I just wait it out to hear a rejection? Or do some schools just not tell you anything until you email them and ask? The waiting is killing me and I just wanna know I've been rejected at this point.

Edited by phdwannabe_22

1 hour ago, phdwannabe_22 said:

Hi all, I'm a first time applicant and I'm beyond confused and stressed. I see a bunch of people have been accepted/rejected from schools I've applied to and I've heard NADA. 

Do I just wait it out to hear a rejection? Or do some schools just not tell you anything until you email them and ask? The waiting is killing me and I just wanna know I've been rejected at this point.

some schools (such as maryland) wait a ridiculously long time to notify rejected applicants. like, i don't think i heard from maryland until early april last year about being rejected. some schools (such as cu-boulder and oregon) notify applicants the day they send out acceptances (or 1-2 days after). i've never emailed to ask, but that's because i spend my own money and time on applying, so the least a department could do is send me a templated rejection letter on their own time.

18 hours ago, haptomato said:

Wow congrats! Did you heard any additional information such as cohort size of this year or waitlist offers? And if you do not mind, could you tell me whether you already accepted an offer or will decline it for the better options?  

They said they were assembling a cohort of roughly 10 people. I'm not sure about the waitlist offers but I have seen a few on the decisions board. I'm still considering the offers but will probably accept Penn State.

3 hours ago, magnets said:

They said they were assembling a cohort of roughly 10 people. I'm not sure about the waitlist offers but I have seen a few on the decisions board. I'm still considering the offers but will probably accept Penn State.

Thanks! Wish you a good luck on your new Ph.D. Journey!

16 minutes ago, fdurruti said:

Hi everyone. Does anyone know if Cornell delivers rejections late? I have seen a lot of acceptances and waitlist, but no rejections so far. 🤨

I don't know if there's a consistent trend in the way they release results, but in some previous cycles they've sent rejections a week or so after acceptances. 

That said, they've already reached out to the students who have been offered admission to sign up for the virtual visit day, so I don't know that it's likely there will be any further acceptances or waitlists.

Just got official rejections from Cornell and Princeton, so I'm assuming they're rolling those out today/tomorrow.

Also has anyone heard anything from Northeastern or University of Washington? I've read this entire 18 pg thread and not seen anything.

Edited by phdwannabe_22

47 minutes ago, phdwannabe_22 said:

Just got official rejections from Cornell and Princeton, so I'm assuming they're rolling those out today/tomorrow.

Also has anyone heard anything from Northeastern or University of Washington? I've read this entire 18 pg thread and not seen anything.

Did you receive the Cornell and Princeton rejections via email?