2023 Canada Admissions SLP thread

26 minutes ago, Natalie SLP said:

Sorry I'm no help but I'm applying to McGill and I have the same question...

The information on their website are very vague about where to upload these supporting documents. Did you happen to figure this out or does anyone else have insight on this? 

I figured it out. So after applying they send you an email with a link to view your application. There it shows you a checklist and gives you the option to upload supporting documents. It may take some hours after submitting to be able to access this because I didn't see this part until today. 

Is anyone applying the the PHD combined program at western? How exactly did you go about reaching out to potential supervisors? I’m considering submitting an application for the audiology PHD combined program as well, but unsure about what to say or how to approach these individuals!

2 hours ago, nslp2be said:

For DalhousieU, how do you see the status of your application? Idk where to look to see if my references have been received. ?

Last year they never updated anything on the website at all to say if they were received or not! I just followed up with my references and they assured me they submitted everything. 

22 minutes ago, Audioker2794 said:

Last year they never updated anything on the website at all to say if they were received or not! I just followed up with my references and they assured me they submitted everything. 

wow okay that is horrible LOL thank you though

16 minutes ago, speechenthusiast said:

This is very specific but, if Im writing "discovered the speech-language pathology profession" in my SOI, does  "speech-language pathology" get capitalized? 

No, professions are not capitalized in formal writing. 

Here some other tips that might help with formal writing!

- No contractions: don't -> do not 

- No acronyms: SLP ->  speech language pathologist

- Places, names, and languages need to be capitalized. ex. Ontario, Western University, English 

3 minutes ago, NikolaSLP said:

No, professions are not capitalized in formal writing. 

Here some other tips that might help with formal writing!

- No contractions: don't -> do not 

- No acronyms: SLP ->  speech language pathologist

- Places, names, and languages need to be capitalized. ex. Ontario, Western University, English 

Oh we can't use SLP even if we put it in brackets after spelling it out the first time? 

Hello everyone!

For those applying to UofA and/or McGill, do we also need to take the Snapshot part of the test in addition to the Casper test? I took Casper back in early Dec but see that there's also an option for me to do Snapshot too? It looks like both schools only require Casper but wanted to double check!

3 hours ago, SLP71 said:

Hello everyone!

For those applying to UofA and/or McGill, do we also need to take the Snapshot part of the test in addition to the Casper test? I took Casper back in early Dec but see that there's also an option for me to do Snapshot too? It looks like both schools only require Casper but wanted to double check!

I can't speak for McGill, but I asked Vicki last year if we need the snapshot for UofA, and she told me no! Hope that helps. 

20 hours ago, SLP71 said:

Hello everyone!

I asked Vickie after I took mine and she said nope! Just the Casper part. Mines already been sent to u of A. Can you see your quartile in your Altus suite yet?

Kinda unrelated but something I’ve been thinking about. How old are most of you? This is a second career kind of thing for me and I’m worried about my age being a deterrent. Might just be my mind getting restless during the waiting time. I’m 32, and I’m worried I’ll be much older than most of my potential cohort. Especially if I don’t get accepted this year. 

so… how old are y’all? You can say age ranges. Like 20-22, 23-25, 25-30 or older than 30 if you’re nervous about putting your age up. 

Edited by MajorTom10

41 minutes ago, MajorTom10 said:

Kinda unrelated but something I’ve been thinking about. How old are most of you? This is a second career kind of thing for me and I’m worried about my age being a deterrent. Might just be my mind getting restless during the waiting time. I’m 32, and I’m worried I’ll be much older than most of my potential cohort. Especially if I don’t get accepted this year. 

so… how old are y’all? You can say age ranges. Like 20-22, 23-25, 25-30 or older than 30 if you’re nervous about putting your age up. 

I'm 22! I wouldn't worry about age being a deterrent 

1 hour ago, MajorTom10 said:

I'm 26 and have been out of my undergrad for nearly five years now. I didn't know what I wanted to do once I finished my undergrad, so I moved to Japan and lived there for three years, been back for almost two years now and have continued working. I can relate to feeling out of the loop now that I've been out of undergrad longer than I was in it ahaha, but I wouldn't worry about it too much. I've heard of plenty of people in their thirties getting in!

23 hours ago, MajorTom10 said:

I asked Vickie after I took mine and she said nope! Just the Casper part. Mines already been sent to u of A. Can you see your quartile in your Altus suite yet?

Thanks! And not yet, it just says Completed-Results Delivered. I took mine on Dec 8 for reference.

22 hours ago, MajorTom10 said:

I'm 24! But I agree with the others, age shouldn't be a deterrent at all. If anything you have a lot more work/life experience which can only be a good thing in my mind!

2 hours ago, SLP71 said:

Thanks! And not yet, it just says Completed-Results Delivered. I took mine on Dec 8 for reference.

I took it the same day! I think I read somewhere it takes four weeks for it to be released to the person who took it, but I don’t remember where I heard that lol. As long as U of A has it, I can wait lol. 

good luck with your application ,btw! 

On 12/31/2022 at 2:38 PM, MajorTom10 said:

My experience is similar to @NikolaSLP ! 

I just turned 27 the other day. I wasn't sure what I wanted to do after I graduated, then lived in Korea for another couple years, then this is my second year applying... and here we are! Kind of scary. I also had the same anxieties about getting older/being older than the rest... but I think going after the right career for you has no age limit! Also, for grad programs everyone (profs and alumni) has told me that age is certainly not an issue :)

Hey everyone! First time posting, I have a question for those applying to U of A. Do our references have until Feb 1st to submit their letters? They don't need to submit their letters by Jan 15th right? Just our application is due Jan 15th?

Thank you!

6 hours ago, 55slp said:

Hey everyone! First time posting, I have a question for those applying to U of A. Do our references have until Feb 1st to submit their letters? They don't need to submit their letters by Jan 15th right? Just our application is due Jan 15th?

Thank you!

Yes, for the UofA referees have until February 1st to submit their letters. If you want to double check it says so here! https://www.ualberta.ca/communications-sciences-and-disorders/programs/msc-in-speech-language-pathology/admissions/application-process.html#:~:text=Applicant referees will be contacted,%24135 cheque to the Department.