2023 Canada Admissions SLP thread

Hey everyone,

I’m a current first year at UofA and I’m so excited to see all your acceptances (especially to UofA!) If anyone has any questions I’d be more than happy to answer any or if you’re in the Edmonton area and want to go for coffee I would absolutely love to!

I also know as a former lurker that there are probably a few of you out there that may have been waitlisted today and it can feel like the end of the world. I wanted to let you know that I was also a waitlister and that at UofA we often go down the waitlist (I know one student from a year ago that was rejected but then found out they were actually on the waitlist). There are quite a few people in our class that were on the waitlist and I guess what I wanted to say was to not lose hope. The waiting game can honestly be more torturous than the whole application process but there is a solid chance if you’re on the waitlist of getting off! Don’t be too hard on yourself, I believe there’s a space in speech for everyone and your time will come!

13 hours ago, Emmaa_ said:

Congratulations to everyone who got accepted to UofA! Where are you all from/do you already live in Alberta?

I am from Manitoba, and I only applied to U of A, which was quite a risk but I am glad it was worth it :)

33 minutes ago, vanisle.speech said:

For those who got the acceptance email from U of A, has your portal updated at all yet? 

Side note, I will be moving from B.C. and would love to connect with anyone else moving to Edmonton! Would love to find shared housing with folks in the program :) 

The portal won't update until the acceptance has been sent from the department to FGSR. It can take a bit for that, if you're missing documents/conditions you have to meet before. So it should happen with enough time to let them know of your acceptance by the 17th. 

I just spoke to Vicki about some other stuff and that's what she told me. 

13 minutes ago, MajorTom10 said:

I have to include a marksheet to Vicki, but I can't seem to find one for Athabasca. Does anyone know happen to have a copy of it, or know where I can find one/who I should reach out to for it?

In order to get a mark-sheet with your transcripts you have to get an official transcript from the registrar. If you go to the request transcripts tab there will be a form you can fill out to get your official transcript. Fill it out and then send it to acrec@athabasca.ca. They will process it and then send you your transcript with the mark-sheet in about a weeks time. 

30 minutes ago, kits123 said:

For those of you that heard from Alberta, did the email come from Vicky directly? Congrats to all :) 

It came in an email from mscslp@ualberta.ca, which I think Vicki manages but it is signed by the coordinator of graduate admission. 

Edited by NikolaSLP
spelt Alberta wrong lol

5 minutes ago, NikolaSLP said:

In order to get a mark-sheet with your transcripts you have to get an official transcript from the registrar. If you go to the request transcripts tab there will be a form you can fill out to get your official transcript. Fill it out and then send it to acrec@athabasca.ca. They will process it and then send you your transcript with the mark-sheet in about a weeks time. 

Perfect, that is super helpful! Thank you!!

1 hour ago, kits123 said:

For those of you that heard from Alberta, did the email come from Vicky directly? Congrats to all :) 

email for me as well, but a different person that signed the email not Vicki. :) Congratulations as well to everyone! 

29 minutes ago, hopefulslpp said:

Waitlisted at UofA. Does anyone know if they release if youre in the top or bottom half of the waitlist? 

Also just waitlisted at UofA and wondering this as well!

29 minutes ago, hopefulslpp said:

Waitlisted at UofA. Does anyone know if they release if youre in the top or bottom half of the waitlist? 

It said in my email from U of A that they wouldn't disclose position on the waiting list, so I'm guessing not, but I don't know for sure.