2023 Canada Admissions SLP thread

2 hours ago, MarySLP said:

Hi I am just wandering which certificate in Brock has all the pre-reqs?

Brock has a Speech, Language, and Hearing Sciences certificate which covers a lot of the prerequisite courses! Personally, even though I needed a few of the pre-reqs to apply to the SLP programs, I chose not to do the certificate because it is 10 courses (plus if you did not take first year linguistics you have to complete that as well, making it a total of 11 courses), and I didn't want to take the chance of letting my sub-GPA drop with the pressure of completing 11 courses while applying to school. However, I do know someone who did the certificate and said that it helped to prepare them for the classes they are now completing at grad school. So I would just say weigh the pros and cons! 

Is anyone else confused by ORPAS' subGPA calculation? I wasn't expecting it to be so low and I'm trying to calculate it but I can't get the same number they have. Also the final course at the bottom of my list just says "**Average**" and they've counted it as a length of 3.00, does anyone know what that means??

14 minutes ago, nslp2be said:

Is anyone else confused by ORPAS' subGPA calculation? I wasn't expecting it to be so low and I'm trying to calculate it but I can't get the same number they have. Also the final course at the bottom of my list just says "**Average**" and they've counted it as a length of 3.00, does anyone know what that means??

When you don’t have exactly the 20 required lengths, then they use an average of what is needed to make up to 20. For me, they used the next 7 lengths (3 full courses and one half course)  to make up to 20. The average of the 7 is used as the last number in your list. It’s very confusing and convoluted! 

If they used “3” as an average at the end of your list, you must have had 17 lengths that worked, then needed 3 lengths more to make up the total of 20 required lengths. I hope I’m not confusing you more. 

12 minutes ago, nslp2be said:

So the reason the last one says average is because if they can only take one or a few courses from a semester to complete your last 10 full credits they will average the entire semester instead of picking out just one course. So for example if you had taken 3 courses in a semester and one was a 3.3., the other was a 3.7 and another was a 3.9 instead of picking out one they add them all together and divide by 3, which gives you a 3.6 GPA with a weight of 3.00 credits for the last needed course(s). 

17 minutes ago, SLPplease1 said:

When you don’t have exactly the 20 required lengths, then they use an average of what is needed to make up to 20. For me, they used the next 7 lengths (3 full courses and one half course)  to make up to 20. The average of the 7 is used as the last number in your list. It’s very confusing and convoluted! 

If they used “3” as an average at the end of your list, you must have had 17 lengths that worked, then needed 3 lengths more to make up the total of 20 required lengths. I hope I’m not confusing you more. 

Ohh, I see... no that makes sense! thank you!

15 minutes ago, NikolaSLP said:

So the reason the last one says average is because if they can only take one or a few courses from a semester to complete your last 10 full credits they will average the entire semester instead of picking out just one course. So for example if you had taken 3 courses in a semester and one was a 3.3., the other was a 3.7 and another was a 3.9 instead of picking out one they add them all together and divide by 3, which gives you a 3.6 GPA with a weight of 3.00 credits for the last needed course(s). 

gotcha, thanks for the help!

24 minutes ago, girl said:

If I just got my grade for one of the pre-req courses does anyone know if the schools will accept an updated transcript?

Hey! I dont think so, I know the portals for UAlberta and McGill have closed, and since ORPAS already did our GPA calculations I do not think theyll accept it. Id email them to see thought!

On 2/13/2023 at 11:10 AM, girl said:

If I just got my grade for one of the pre-req courses does anyone know if the schools will accept an updated transcript?

I was able to update mine with U of A by emailing Vickie with the new version of my pre req document and my transcript and she updated it on the back end! 

Check your inbox everybody (spam inbox too)!!

McMaster has selected people for the interview portion. I was invited to participate in an interview and I am actually quite shocked. I originally had no hopes for getting into McMaster at all so I debated for a long time to even apply to McMaster. But I am glad I did! BTW, my calculated GPA cannot really be considered competitive in McMaster standards. Like a lot of us have been predicting in this forum before, I think the applicant amount is down this year. 

Nonetheless, this has really affected my mental health in a positive way. Especially since the New Year has been really tough on me. I hope to hear further good news from my other choices! And I hope all helpful people here also receive good news! 

Edited by quruxSLP
Just fixed some spelling mistakes :)

10 hours ago, quruxSLP said:

McMaster has selected people for the interview portion. I was invited to participate in an interview and I am actually quite shocked. I originally had no hopes for getting into McMaster at all so I debated for a long time to even apply to McMaster. But I am glad I did! BTW, my calculated GPA cannot really be considered competitive in McMaster standards. Like a lot of us have been predicting in this forum before, I think the applicant amount is down this year. 

Nonetheless, this has really affected my mental health in a positive way. Especially since the New Year has been really tough on me. I hope to hear further good news from my other choices! And I hope all helpful people here also receive good news! 

Congratulations! If you don't mind sharing, what was your gpa? 

19 hours ago, quruxSLP said:

I felt the exact same way, I decided last minute to apply to McMaster as I thought my sub-GPA was no where near what it would need to be to even get an interview. I am so happy that I chose to apply anyways! Congratulations :)

Hey everyone, I’m a current UofA student and I’m sure many of you already know this, but UofA has recently added 15 more seat specifically for Sask residents! If you were hesitant about applying to UofA before, we have a little added incentive now! We also extended the deadline to April 1st to encourage Sask students to apply! If you know someone from Sask applying or wanting to apply please let them know about this!