2023 Canada Admissions SLP thread

On 2/22/2023 at 2:28 PM, MarySLP said:

Has anyone received an email from Dal saying their application was complete? I haven’t! just wanted to check. In the previous threads, people mentioned that they did in February...

nothing yet! I'm starting to get worried...but I'm sure everything is just backlogged. I have a feeling they got a lot of applications 

Hey guys I emailed UofT asking why they had yet to send out the SGS portal activation emails but they replied saying that confirmations will be sent out on April 3rd so I'm assuming that they just aren't using it for this year's applicants. 

Hi all! Does anyone who has a McMaster MMI interview want to get together and do a practice session with me remotely? I know that we only have just under two weeks until the interview but I thought it might be helpful to get on Zoom call or a Facebook Messenger call and do some practice questions. Not sure about you guys but I am feeling like I could use some practice :) 

Edited by kits123

On 2/23/2023 at 3:51 PM, _futureSLP23 said:

This was my first year applying to the SLP program. I was invited to a MMI for MAC and my sub-GPA was a 3.92. I hope this helps and good luck with the rest of your applications:)

This was also my first year applying and I had a 3.94 sub-GPA

1 hour ago, HopefullyASoonToBeSLP said:

Hey guys, It feels like there are fewer people talking on this thread at this time of year compared to previous years. do we think it's because fewer people have applied? Or perhaps this website is less well-known this year?

I applied to UofA and UBC. How about you all?

It really does feel that way, especially after the McMaster MMI invites went out. I am also a first-time applicant and was hesitant to even apply to McMaster as I knew my subGPA was not going to be as competitive as I'd originally hoped. For reference, I have a 3.85.

That being said another factor could be that the graduating class of 2023, most of which theoretically started fall of 2019 had COVID affect their undergrad. This might have decreased competitiveness- subGPA (why some of us are surprised we got MMI invites) or even the number of applicants? Economic hardship post-COVID could also be affecting the number of applicants. People who are on the fence or those who feel like they don't really have a shot this cycle might prefer to wait until the next application cycle to apply. Instead of shelling out $500+ as a "practice" round/cycle. 

It could also be the case, like you said that the forum just isn't as popular this year for whatever reason, therefore not representative of the applicant pool.  

Applied to:  UofT | McMaster | Western

Rejected | Accepted | Waitlisted 

Edited by Lucky11

3 hours ago, HopefullyASoonToBeSLP said:

Hey guys, It feels like there are fewer people talking on this thread at this time of year compared to previous years. do we think it's because fewer people have applied? Or perhaps this website is less well-known this year?

I'm hoping for our sake there is a smaller group of people applying! These programs are so competitive, so maybe some people are skipping the application process this year to get volunteer hours/boost their GPA/work to strengthen their application when they do apply in the future. I applied to the University of Toronto, Western, McGill, McMaster (rejected), and the University of Alberta. I cast a wide net because I really want to get in on this application cycle. I would be happy to go anywhere! They all seem like great programs.

Edited by Emmaa_

Congrats to everyone who got an MMI! This is my second time applying for Mac and I didn't think I would get an interview with my sub-GPA (it's 3.87) because it was a similar number last year and I didn't get one. So, super excited to have an MMI. It seems like it will be similar to Casper. I applied to UofT, Mac, Western, Dal, and UAlberta - casting a big net in the hopes that somewhere will want me LOL. Good luck to everyone!! Can't wait to hear where everyone got in because we WILL get in somewhere!! Positive vibes~

Edited by SLPhopeful26

2 hours ago, HopefullyASoonToBeSLP said:

Hey everyone!

I think I'm overthinking this but does UofA look at GPa for your entire degree OR just upper year/most recent 20 courses? 

Just the 20 most recent courses (60 credits)

18 minutes ago, HopefullyASoonToBeSLP said:

Awesome, thank you so much! my 1st and 2nd-year courses definitely bring down my overall GPA. 

I think for UofA though they're just looking at GPA to make sure it's above the minimum 3.3 but then after that it's not a deciding factor in admissions

4 minutes ago, HopefullyASoonToBeSLP said:

Oh interesting, did they say that? I was proud of my GPA so hopefully, it matters a bit!

I just double checked on their website and it says this:

"First, GPA will be primarily restricted to an entrance requirement.  Students will need to meet the minimum GPA of 3.3 on most 4-point grading systems ( or B+ on most letter grading systems)."

I guess it just says primarily restricted to an entrance requirement so maybe they'll still look at our grades but not weigh it too heavily or something

Hello all! Congrats to everyone who has gotten an MMI for McMaster! For those of you who did, once you have checked in for your live interview and written assessment, does the bar at the bottom of the check in page say "80% complete" and "50% complete" for each check in page respectively for you guys? I'm assuming it will say 100% complete once the written assessment and interview are complete but I just want to make sure!

Also, I only received a confirmation email to say that I had signed up my written assessment and not my live interview. Was this the same for you all? 

Thanks and good luck to everyone applying this year! :) 

On 3/3/2023 at 7:47 PM, HopefullyASoonToBeSLP said:

Hey! :) 

There is definitely fewer posts this year than in previous years. I am hoping it is because less people applied this round. Fingers crossed. I am thinking that during the pandemic there was an influx of applications because people just had time on their hands/were getting laid off/etc. 

This is my 3rd round applying. My first year I only applied to UofT (closest to home) because I was sick of pandemic schooling lol, last year I applied to only Ontario schools and got waitlisted at UofT. This year I applied to UofT, Western, McMaster (did not get an MMI invite), McGill, UofA, and Dal (my top choice). 

I am really hoping to get in this year cause I am SO ready to get rolling in this career. I have a gut feeling I will get in this year, so here's hoping I am right! :) 

2 hours ago, danislp2023 said:

Hello all! Congrats to everyone who has gotten an MMI for McMaster! For those of you who did, once you have checked in for your live interview and written assessment, does the bar at the bottom of the check in page say "80% complete" and "50% complete" for each check in page respectively for you guys? I'm assuming it will say 100% complete once the written assessment and interview are complete but I just want to make sure!

Also, I only received a confirmation email to say that I had signed up my written assessment and not my live interview. Was this the same for you all? 

Thanks and good luck to everyone applying this year! :) 

Yes that's what it says for me! I was concerned because I only got the email confirmation for the written assignment, but good to know i'm not the only one. I remember seeing in an email that it will say 80% when you've completed all the necessary steps, so you should be all good!

25 minutes ago, speechenthusiast said:

Yes that's what it says for me! I was concerned because I only got the email confirmation for the written assignment, but good to know i'm not the only one. I remember seeing in an email that it will say 80% when you've completed all the necessary steps, so you should be all good!

perfect, thank you so much for confirming! gl with the interview! 

3 hours ago, 15itspossibleslp said:

Just wondering if anyone knows anyone who applied for U of A before, on when U of A usually send out results?

Thank you!

It varies from year to year. A few years ago it was as early as March 9th, but the past two years they sent out acceptances and waitlists in the last week of March anywhere between the 23rd to the 27th. Rejections were typically sent out a week later.

10 minutes ago, nslp2be said:

someone already got accepted to uofa im soooo anxious i hope i hear something!

Do you know when they found out? Also, if they applied for scholarships? I know occasionally those who apply for scholarships find out earlier than those who did not.... 

11 minutes ago, hopefulslpp said:

Do you know when they found out? Also, if they applied for scholarships? I know occasionally those who apply for scholarships find out earlier than those who did not.... 

they posted 16 hours ago in a new thread under this forum! maybe thats true, im not sure.