2022-2023 Application Thread

Theory007

40 minutes ago, LarryLassifer said:

We have a very similar list (i'm also Theory subfield), haven't heard anything from Minnesota yet so i'm assuming that's a rejection ?

Why would you assume it is a rejection? A bunch of people already posted rejections, so maybe it is a waitlist if you didn't get anything.

Damn i hope it's not actually a seriously bad thing to reach out to PhD programs for updates. I have an issue with one of my apps which I completed but is still even now marked as incomplete (admissions said it should be reviewed regardless) even though it isn't really. I haven't heard anything from the program and it's still marked incomplete so I've been calling and sending emails repeatedly to the school (because they never respond) just to make sure that after all this time the app is being reviewed. Hope that doesn't come off as desperate :(

18 minutes ago, iskander said:

Damn i hope it's not actually a seriously bad thing to reach out to PhD programs for updates. I have an issue with one of my apps which I completed but is still even now marked as incomplete (admissions said it should be reviewed regardless) even though it isn't really. I haven't heard anything from the program and it's still marked incomplete so I've been calling and sending emails repeatedly to the school (because they never respond) just to make sure that after all this time the app is being reviewed. Hope that doesn't come off as desperate :(

My UCLA official score was the same thing- I sent out a batch of official scores and only they didn’t match- I wrote and they said that I should’t mind

Suspecting my profile is not being reviewed at all :(((

6 hours ago, Anonymous8_8 said:

My UCLA official score was the same thing- I sent out a batch of official scores and only they didn’t match- I wrote and they said that I should’t mind

Suspecting my profile is not being reviewed at all :(((

Did you self-report the scores? I got admitted elsewhere with self-reported TOEFL scores, then I just sent them my official ones after the acceptance. It is not a big deal as far as I know and it saves us a lot of money 

10 hours ago, iskander said:

i hope i didnt scare you omg this is completely different! emailing to ask the status of an application that is currently under review is completely different than checking to see if the application actually went through due to technology errors. i did the same thing with stony brook, and my application portal was fixed shortly after. it is not bad to reach out depending on the topic!

Now I left only 5 schools out of 17 schools : Northwestern, Georgetown, Cornell, UPenn, Connecticut. I just got rejection from Minnesota and Duke. I want to be think positive but I can't by getting rejections continuously. Should I be positive or start to think for other options?

Hello everyone! Northwestern has had a final list of admitted students at least since the beginning of February. Due to financial constraints, this year's cohort will be considerably smaller than usual. Depending on final budget allocations, the Department might admit one or a few more students, but that might not happen. I hope this information helps!

1 minute ago, GD202 said:

Hello everyone! Northwestern has had a final list of admitted students at least since the beginning of February. Due to financial constraints, this year's cohort will be considerably smaller than usual. Depending on final budget allocations, the Department might admit one or a few more students, but that might not happen. I hope this information helps!

Thanks for sharing! Any idea when we might hear back on acceptances?

2 hours ago, SH95 said:

Now I left only 5 schools out of 17 schools : Northwestern, Georgetown, Cornell, UPenn, Connecticut. I just got rejection from Minnesota and Duke. I want to be think positive but I can't by getting rejections continuously. Should I be positive or start to think for other options?

I am applying for things now and asking for RA openings from everyone I know. as someone who has no ad so far, I think it is better to start preparing now than later- what's to lose if you do get an offer? I think it helps anxiety a lot, and in general it is good to prepare for the worst. If you don't have any offer, these efforts might be saving you.

I have 7 left other than rejection and presumed rejection (no wl)- but they are all extremely competitive ones (harvard, yale, stanford, cornell, upenn, ucsd, ucla). Also thinking about applying to programs in Australia and France, some of them are still open and have funding.