2022-2023 Application Thread

Theory007

13 minutes ago, Anonymous8_8 said:

I am applying for things now and asking for RA openings from everyone I know. as someone who has no ad so far, I think it is better to start preparing now than later- what's to lose if you do get an offer? I think it helps anxiety a lot, and in general it is good to prepare for the worst. If you don't have any offer, these efforts might be saving you.

I have 7 left other than rejection and presumed rejection (no wl)- but they are all extremely competitive ones (harvard, yale, stanford, cornell, upenn, ucsd, ucla). Also thinking about applying to programs in Australia and France, some of them are still open and have funding. 

I agree, that's a good plan - I was planning to apply to masters programs in Europe if this cycle didn't work out. There are some really affordable programs there (it sounded like the public universities in Germany are free for foreigners), and the deadlines are later. But if you wait until April it might be too late. Hope it won't be necessary, but at the very least it'll give you peace of mind until the rest of your results come out

1 hour ago, GD202 said:

Hello everyone! Northwestern has had a final list of admitted students at least since the beginning of February. Due to financial constraints, this year's cohort will be considerably smaller than usual. Depending on final budget allocations, the Department might admit one or a few more students, but that might not happen. I hope this information helps!

It is really credible information? I am starting to get panic. When will they announce about rejection/wait-list/acceptance?

1 hour ago, SH95 said:

It is really credible information? I am starting to get panic. When will they announce about rejection/wait-list/acceptance?

I can assure you this is completely credible information. I can see on the results page that some people have received admission decisions. I don't know if every accepted person was already notified, but I can tell you that the Department has already made the acceptance decisions and has a final list of admits. That list seems unlikely to change because of the financial constraints I mentioned. I hope this helps! 

41 minutes ago, GD202 said:

I can assure you this is completely credible information. I can see on the results page that some people have received admission decisions. I don't know if every accepted person was already notified, but I can tell you that the Department has already made the acceptance decisions and has a final list of admits. That list seems unlikely to change because of the financial constraints I mentioned. I hope this helps! 

Sad news ? Only some applicants could receive admission decisions from Northwestern and last year, they sent the results in batches. 

Are you studying at Northwestern University?

1 hour ago, GD202 said:

This image was already posted around early January at Gradcafe (its link was shared; I got this screenshot). Based on this statistics; the estimated number of admits for the program was 20.

I could see 5 or 6 applicants who shared about their admission results at Gradcafe. Hope that more acceptance decisions would come.

Screenshot_20230210-111735_Gallery.jpg

1 hour ago, PolGrad said:

This image was already posted around early January at Gradcafe (its link was shared; I got this screenshot). Based on this statistics; the estimated number of admits for the program was 20.

I could see 5 or 6 applicants who shared about their admission results at Gradcafe. Hope that more acceptance decisions would come.

Screenshot_20230210-111735_Gallery.jpg

As I said, admission decisions were already made. This year the number of students admitted to the program was significantly smaller, so the graph doesn't provide helpful information. Good luck!

7 minutes ago, GD202 said:

As I said, admission decisions were already made. This year the number of students admitted to the program was significantly smaller, so the graph doesn't provide helpful information. Good luck!

Thanks. It is really difficult to assess the admission process. Last year, Many universities stated that we received too many applications; this year number of applicants decreased but now they say the program would offer admission smaller number of applicants. ?

Hi everyone. For those who applied for Northwestern University PhD program, O contacted with my friend who has been currently doing his PhD there. He informed me that the main list of the applicants who were offered admission is consisting of 10-12 applicants; a drop compared to 20 admitted applicants. So, the number of applicants who received email on January 31st and who are in the main list are only 10-12. 

On February 24th, the Department would hold a meeting and the applicants who received admission on January 31st were invited. After this meeting, the Department would probably decide to send acceptance emails; depending on the number of applicants who would accept the offer or choose another PhD program. 

So, until February 24th, they may not send more acceptance emails but there might be still chance that you are being waitlisted. But offering admission to only 10-12 applicants show that they would not send many acceptance after February 24th :(

I even didn't know that Northwestern Political Science Department has been organizing this kind of meeting during the admission process but it seems that they will try to get the sense of how many of the applicants from the main admission list will accept the offer. Compared to last year, the date of this meeting with the admitted students is almost one month earlier, by the way.

Hope that they would send more acceptance emails in the upcoming days

Edited by PolGrad