Students of Sociology!

yin-bodhi

congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D that is great news!

i think it's funny that we try to tell ourselves we'll be happy taking a year off, just so we won't be so utterly depressed if we don't get in. but if we get in we know that's what we really wanted... and it's time to celebrate.

good job!

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OMG... I'm so there! I have everything it takes to get in AND get the one assistantship they have. They want research experience and SPSS experience; I have both! They probably have already given it away, but I can try. Plus, no letters of recommendation or GRE scores required! They're kidding, right? I know DePaul is a great school, but to let those two things slide... it blows my mind. I read titles of past thesis papers and they seem flexible. Thank you so much Anonymous!

Mnemosyne, I am so happy for you!!!!!!!!!!!! I am smiling at your good news! Congrats! 8)

Shelly, you can handle it for two short years. Also, keep looking! Wayne State has a specialization in Urban Sociology if you want to look into them. They're not that expensive, either.

Emory put me on a waiting list after me and twelve other people visited. We were the top candidates, and it was really a group interview disguised as an all expenses paid visitation extravaganza. I think they admit about five people. I did pretty well with the "interviews" but others also did good. I was also one of the youngest and most inexperienced students. I think me and two other students were the only ones who were still doing BAs. I think this invariably factored into things.

After the visit they became my top choice. One of my original top-choices, KU, accepted me and had me visit them after Emory. I was unimpressed, and grew even more despondent over Emory. I began to trick myself into liking KU again, though. That was until today however when I found out that the fellowships they nominated me for fell through. Oddly enough, they put me on a fellowship waiting list. So that makes two lists I'm on. I can only wonder what my funding options will be if that doesn't work out.

So, in a moment of desparation, I e-mailed the grad-director at Emory and asked him if I had a realistic chance with this waiting list. I explained to him how they were my top choice and mentioned how they were better than KU. The grad-director hasn't gotten back to me yet.

I'm really anxious over all this, and was hoping some of you guys would be able to offer me insight into this waiting list business. I also got into NC State with an assistantship, but was rejected from Duke, UNC-Chapel Hill, and Northwestern. I'm waiting on Maryland, College Park. My hopes diminish with each day I don't hear something from them though.

I've heard some pretty bad things about NC State, too. Apparently there's some serious fighting going on within the department. They've been firing each other. The head of my current department called a faculty member on my behalf, in fact. The faculty member was completely confident that I should NOT go to NC State.

I think I'm developing an ulcer. Sure, I have some choices and I should be real thankful since some people are getting wall-to-wall rejections, but I'm not exactly peachy with this situation. If only Emory would admit me...

I post this here since it's kind of hard to find fellow sociology applicants to talk to.

i completely understand guest. i am also on a waiting list with my future depending on the outcome. i guess my chances aren't so good. i can only hope that those accepted to that school will make up their minds as soon as they can so i will know whether i can go there or not. good luck w/ emory or w/ department politics at NC State!

basille said:
Yin -

I posted the Depaul link. I have a pal that just completed the MA program and is currently teaching a course there. If you'd like some more info, please feel free to drop me a message.

- basille -

Awesome! I sent you a message! ?

I got one recommender to sign on to my "round two" plan. I hope I at least get one more! If I get all three, I can apply to Seton Hall.

Ugh! I can't concentrate with all this stress. I have two papers due tomorrow and I just finished the first one (four pages, but it was an article review, so that's easy). The second one is only three to five pages, but we didn't go over the material for the paper, so it will be hard to know what he wants on this one. Oh well, I got an 'A' on the last two papers without any problems. I guess it's my fault for procrastinating... well, it kind of was, BUT I spent last weekend going through other MA programs and was so sick over it, I couldn't think about anything else. Okay, I better grab some tea, a bite to eat, and get going on this thing. It shouldn't be too bad; I'll just fill it with quotes! Quotes are great! ?

I got one recommender to sign on to my "round two" plan. I hope I at least get one more! If I get all three, I can apply to Seton Hall.

What other schools are on your second round list? (forgive me for not knowing but did you hear from all of the first round schools already?)

I am currently wishing I'd done a second round when I considered it (for the Feb 1 deadline). I had bad feelings about apps then and they turned out to be true...

GOOD LUCK!!

brittdreams said:

What other schools are on your second round list? (forgive me for not knowing but did you hear from all of the first round schools already?)

Well, I have quite a list, but I'm trying to narrow it down the best I can. Still no word from my other two recommenders.

Here are the ones that seem like they may be winners:

Eastern Michigan University (Sociology)- I will apply here for sure!

University of Maryland, Baltimore County (Applied Sociology)

Seton Hall University (International Relations/Professional Communication)

William Paterson University Of New Jersey (Sociology or International Policy)

I'll probably apply to these two no matter what:

DePaul University (no letters required) (Sociology)

University of Baltimore (no letters required) (Negotiations and Conflict Management)

I think that's a good list. I might try to knock one of those schools off the list, and I can't apply to Seton Hall or U Maryland, Baltimore County if I don't get all three recommenders to agree to my plan. I'll be okay if that happens and I'll just add another school or go with the four I have. I think I have a good plan. I've worked on it long enough, sheeze!

Based on this, I expect New School to reject me and George Mason to MAYBE take me for their Masters program. UMSL is anyone's guess and Long Island University is having a hard time making a decision (never a good sign).

Ugh! Last day of classes and I couldn't go because I am sick. I have a headache, slight fever, I'm dizzy, I'm tired, and my stomach is icky. I think it's my sinuses. Luckily, I could just e-mail my papers to my profs. Oh well... I tried to get up and go, but it just wasn't happening. I hope I feel better tomorrow. I have one more "last class" and I need to go.

Guest Mnemosyne9

To whom it may concern, according to the applyingtograd livejournal comm, U of Toronto has mailed their first round of acceptances in the last few days, and all will be out by next week.

::checks mailbox obsessively::

OMG, Mnemosyne, I soooo hope you get in! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you! U of toronto has such an awesome program! Best of luck! 8)

I was told by a prof that if I didn't hear anything from the other schools by Saturday, to consider myself rejected and do a second round no matter what. I've only heard from one of my recommenders (she's on board) and I'm going CRAZY. I need another one! Ugh! Someone just get back to me, for crying out loud! This is my future we're talking about here, and all you people need to do is change names of schools on letters you already wrote! At least tell me yes or no to give me peace of mind!!!!

I'm feeling a bit better today, but my boyfriend is trying to get me to take it easy. He thinks I got sick because I'm so worried about this stuff. I have three finals on Monday and I haven't started studying. I need to get moving. I just don't have any motivation today, I'm tired, and I still feel somewhat icky. Maybe I shold just wait until tomorrow... one final per day. That dosen't sound too bad considering I will have the whole day to take a crack at things.

i hope you're feeling better soon. and good luck on finals.

i'm getting my application together for southern illinois at e-ville. i'm also applying for a GA with the institute for urban research so that makes me feel better about the whole rural area thing...i just don't know how good my chances are at getting it and the deadline for application isn't until june 1st, so i won't know until after i've already moved. ack. i think i'm qualified but i'm sure lots of others are too. and that's exactly why i haven't gotten in anywhere yet!

still no luck working on papers either. too busy with applications, thegradcafe, etc. ?

I've only heard from one of my recommenders (she's on board) and I'm going CRAZY. I need another one! Ugh! Someone just get back to me, for crying out loud! This is my future we're talking about here, and all you people need to do is change names of schools on letters you already wrote! At least tell me yes or no to give me peace of mind!!!!

Would it be possible to go to office hours (or call during them) or stalk them? Just a thought!

Would it be possible to go to office hours (or call during them) or stalk them? Just a thought!

I'm at OSU and one (the Ph.D.) is at another university. She was quick to fix my George Mason problem (it was the first time she e-mailed me since I came to OSU despite my efforts to e-mail her before) and all I got was a "problem solved, good luck" or something to that effect. I was hoping for something more since she was my main mentor. I don't get it... why would she stop talking to me? I opened one of her letters and it was awesome. The other recommender is here at OSU (Ph.D. canidate) and her dad died right after Christmas. I feel bad for asking her again. She usually gets back to me when I e-mail her, so she might be busy (like I said, it's finals week here). I could go to her office and see what's up, but I feel weird just barging in on her like that since she isn't teaching anything this quarter. She's really cool, though. Maybe I will ask one of her friends (a prof for me this time) if she's heard from her.

I'm not into stalking. ;)

I just wanted to say that this discussion forum really has had an impact on me. I was not offered admission from my first choice school, but admitted to one sociology program ranked top 3 in the country and two other programs ranked top 10. First, I was quite disappointed. My first choice school is lower ranked and I really hoped that they would offer admission. After reading the posts on this forum, I have really started to understand how curious the admission process is. I am really happy that I have three great programs to choose among. I wish that all of you would be in my position.

I just wanted to say that this discussion forum really has had an impact on me. I was not offered admission from my first choice school, but admitted to one sociology program ranked top 3 in the country and two other programs ranked top 10. First, I was quite disappointed. My first choice school is lower ranked and I really hoped that they would offer admission. After reading the posts on this forum, I have really started to understand how curious the admission process is. I am really happy that I have three great programs to choose among. I wish that all of you would be in my position.

I'm proud of you! Congrats on your admission offers! I'm also glad that we've been able to help you in some way, shape, or form. I always am willing to talk about the best and worst of life because someone else may learn something from what I've expereinced.

Speaking about the worst of life... things have made a turn for the worst. I don't want to go into details, because I don't yet have all the details, but it throws a huge wrench into my "round two" plans. It involves my possibly being limited on locations where I can apply. Once I know more, I will let everyone know what's going on. :evil: :( :cry:

im also applying to notre dame but i have not heard from them yet. should i give them a call?

so far ive been rejected from cornell, boston college (admitted to MA instead), and WashU (political science).

today i received a letter saying that i am waitlisted at university of oregon.

in addition to notre dame, im waiting to hear from USC, boston university, and the new school.

i called usc today and they told me that decisions will go out on april? wtf?

also, im not sure why i applied to the new school because they dont have a post-ba phd program and im sure funding sucks.

good luck to everyone.

also, im not sure why i applied to the new school because they dont have a post-ba phd program and im sure funding sucks.

I was told New School starts sending out letters around March 15th. I was also told it's hard to get funding out of them. I made it clear on the application they would have to give me major bucks because I'm poor... so I'm sure I will be rejected.

Good luck!!

im also applying to notre dame but i have not heard from them yet. should i give them a call?

you could give them a call. i did and i emailed dr. hallinan. i bet you are on the "wait list" like me. if so, we'll probably have to wait until late april to find out if we're in or not. dr hallinan said most people have been accepting the offer, so wait-listed peoples chances probably aren't so good.

good luck, but (no offense intended) I hope my name is before yours on the list! :) I've been rejected by every other school. i have one more shot because i just applied to an MA program at s. illinois edwardsville but that program doesn't even compare to notre dame (to me anyway). :( well, hopefully we'll both get in! :) and hopefully we'll find out soon.....

i'm glad to know there is someone else waiting to hear from ND on this forum. do you mind sharing your stats? and your interests?

mine: GRE=V560, Q740, AW4.5, GPA=3.8, Soc GPA=3.8, research experience (but in psychology, not soc), my major is psyc, but i have a soc minor, sort of relevant work experience, i'm interested in sociology of education, inequality, etc

you could give them a call. i did and i emailed dr. hallinan. i bet you are on the "wait list" like me. if so, we'll probably have to wait until late april to find out if we're in or not. dr hallinan said most people have been accepting the offer, so wait-listed peoples chances probably aren't so good.

good luck, but (no offense intended) I hope my name is before yours on the list! :) I've been rejected by every other school. i have one more shot because i just applied to an MA program at s. illinois edwardsville but that program doesn't even compare to notre dame (to me anyway). :( well, hopefully we'll both get in! :) and hopefully we'll find out soon.....

i'm glad to know there is someone else waiting to hear from ND on this forum. do you mind sharing your stats? and your interests?

mine: GRE=V560, Q740, AW4.5, GPA=3.8, Soc GPA=3.8, research experience (but in psychology, not soc), my major is psyc, but i have a soc minor, sort of relevant work experience, i'm interested in sociology of education, inequality, etc

my stats are definitely lower than yours. gpa 3.01/soc gpa=3.7 gre=v530,q=700 aw=5.0. research experience in sociology (but also at a liberal arts college), interned with an immigrant advocates group, senior thesis in koreatown gentrification case study. hoping to go into urban/immigration/race.

im sure if i didnt fuck around in college i could have done a lot better. but i hope i get in somewhere decent, otherwise i may just forego the whole sociology thing... or just take the GREs again.

notre dame is excellent for education. i would have rather gone to nyu personally but i missed all the early deadline schools.

how soon did they say they would notify the waitlisters?

they never told me i was wait-listed until i called them so maybe if you called them you could find out for sure. let me know what they say if you do call!

now they say i'll have to wait "awhile" before i hear anything. possibly april. just because they are waiting for others to decide if they want to go there or not, and they don't have to decide until april 15th. so scary! i wonder how many are on this damn list! hopefully just the 2 of us!

i wrote my senior thesis on the effects of school funding/neighborhood on academic achievement. and i know dr. hallinan, the head of the admissions committee, is into soc of education so i really wish i could work with her!!!!! i like urban stuff too and i applied for an assistantship with the institute for urban research at the other school i just applied too. that's really the only attraction to that school right now, so if i do'nt get that i'll be very disappointed.

don't give up!! how about the MA at boston? that sounds good. plus you might get good news from those 3 other schools, or notre dame. I'm hoping that (if I get rejected by notre dame, which i'm counting on) the MA from southern illinois will help me when i re-apply to PhD programs in a couple of years. so if you think you could have done a lot better, your performance in the MA program will show 'em all! i'm going to make what i can of the MA program, work really hard, and get as much out of it as i can. then hopefully i will get into a good phd program!

good luck with usc, boston u, and new school!

You said you were notified by e-mail? According to the website, they only notify by snail mail. Did you e-mail first? I haven't heard anything from them. Though, I know they're suposed to be sending out notifications soon.

Personally, I kind of hope I don't get in or get wait-listed or don't get funding or something. That way I can just commit to NC State and be done with all this decision crap.

That and the UMD people seemed snobby and postmodern when I talked to them at ASA.

Guest Mnemosyne9

My inside contact at Toronto says the accepted MA students are starting to visit so acceptances should probably already have been received. Not having one, looks like I'm going to Portland!

We booked tickets to Portland for April 21-24, I'll be meeting some potential advisors, the chair, the grad director, and some of the current grad students. Plus the usual tour and also some apartment-hunting. I'm so excited! I keep hearing from you guys who didn't get in anywhere or didn't get in somewhere you wanted to go and I feel sad though... I hope your luck improves, I really do. After all, I am probably looking 5 rejections and one acceptance in the face, and it's sheer luck that my acceptance has funding.

Ironically, one of my undergrad advisors totally spat on the idea of even applying to PSU, wanted me to apply to Brandeis instead. But I knew I needed a safety school, and one in a city I wanted to actually live in, and I'm so glad I didn't take her advice! Just goes to show, advisors are not infallible. Now I have a good place to go, with funding, in a great city, and my partner is completely psyched about it too.

Guest SHELLY

I agree that advisor don't always know which schools are best to apply to. i had 2 tell me with confidence that i would have no trouble getting in at at least 2 or 3 of the schools i applied to and here i am with 5 rejection and on 1 wait-list. even they don't realized how difficult the process is! sorry about toronto, but congrats on portland. i'm glad at least one regular on this forum has a good acceptance so far!!! it keeps it from being quite so depressing. :)

I agree that advisor don't always know which schools are best to apply to. i had 2 tell me with confidence that i would have no trouble getting in at at least 2 or 3 of the schools i applied to and here i am with 5 rejection and on 1 wait-list. even they don't realized how difficult the process is!

Why is it that advisors are so out of touch? I mean, I didn't have anyone to ask (there's no dept at my school), so I just sort of winged it based on internet searches and trying to find professors in my field of interest. Any idea why your advisors ideas were so off?/