yin-bodhi

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest evelyn
yin-bodhi said:
I JUST GOT ACCEPTED TO THE NEW SCHOOL FOR SOCIAL RESEARCH!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D

awesome!!!!!!!!!!!! congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!! i saw the post on the results and hoped it was yours. :)

misfit, I have offers from New school and rutgers. the later with full funding, .. but like the others, yet to get funding info from new school. What would you suggest?

any body else with some words???

misfit, I have offers from New school and rutgers. the later with full funding, .. but like the others, yet to get funding info from new school. What would you suggest?

I think that partly depends on your area of interests...which school do you think is a better fit?

I'll elaborate a bit on my other reply...if both programs are an equally suitable fir to your research and academic interests, I'd honestly go with the school that gives a better financial aid package! Unless you really have your heart set on living in NYC, but Rutgers is only a 45 minute train ride away so you can always visit regularly.

Sometimes you have to make the decision between a program that gives you more money but doesn't have as strong of an emphasis on your interests, versus less money but a program better tailored to you.

Thanks, everyone! No word on funding yet! They said that an information packet is in the mail and funding information would be in the packet. It wasn't in the mail today... I hope they give me something. I really want to go! I'd be willing to take out loans, but I need something to live off of.

I hope UMSL calls me tomorrow or friday. I also hope George Mason calls me soon! I really want to hear from these two schools. Long Island University is taking their good old time. What's the hold up? Oh well...

I still might apply to one or two more schools, just to see what happens. I want a couple of options and, who knows, I might get some funding.

I'm still pretty happy today! :)

Hey all, I've got a question for you. This may seem like unnecessary stressing, but that's what we're here for:)

I am going to my chosen school April 21 to tour campus, visit professors, see the department chair, etc etc etc. (It's going to be a long day.)

I arrive by plane 10 am, the tour starts at 11, then there's an info session til 12:30, and then I have professor visits from 2-4 probably.

What should I wear? I go casual for flying, so if I am to dress up, I need to change probably after arrival at our hotel (which is only about three blocks from the campus offices I'm going to).

However, I am already accepted, got my funding offer in writing, and the only thing I am trying to achieve other than learning about the place is finding an advisor. I will be meeting two professors who might become my advisor.

So, dress up after arrival, making things a bit rushed (and having to wear dressy clothes all day) or go casual, wearing whatever I wore on the plane? Will potential advisors care at all?

Thanks!

Guest shelly

really wish i knew the answer to that one!

i'm trying to figure out what to wear for meetings with profs myself. and since i haven't been admitted/received funding yet, i'm trying to decide between uncomfy suit (also a very long day (9-4, plus 3 hour drive both ways)) or black slacks and button up shirt (a little less uncomfy)...well, good luck!

Mnemosyne9,

I just did the visit thing twice in the last week. I was really worried about what to wear but then recalled that I'd been admitted and offered funding already and they couldn't really take that away. I wore nice jeans and a sweater. Most of the profs I met with, including the grad chairs, were dressed in jeans and sweaters or polo shirts.

Make sure that you're comfortable since you'll be meeting with a lot of people. Remember that they're trying to get you to come there, not evaluate you to see if they want you (except maybe potential advisors). I hope that helps!

Shelly,

If I were you, I'd go with the black pants and button-up shirt. You don't frequently see academics in suits (business formal) but dressing nicely is generally appreciated.

P.S. Don't forget the thank-you emails afterwards!!

Thanks everyone!

New School gave me $6,102 in a tuition scholarship. I checked FAFSA and it told me I won't get any grants because I am working on a graduate degree. This is odd to me. Shouldn't I get SOMETHING from them besides a loan? My EFC is $0. I don't know if I can take out enough loans to pay off the rest of the tuition AND live in NYC. I'm not feeling too optimistic right now... :?

Thanks everyone!

New School gave me $6,102 in a tuition scholarship. I checked FAFSA and it told me I won't get any grants because I am working on a graduate degree. This is odd to me. Shouldn't I get SOMETHING from them besides a loan? My EFC is $0. I don't know if I can take out enough loans to pay off the rest of the tuition AND live in NYC. I'm not feeling too optimistic right now... :?

That's the same situation that I was in; I had to take out the maximum amount of loans just to cover the tuition and work full time :-(

Hello,

I was accepted to boston college (masters only), uni of virginia, and new school. although i have an idea of what these schools are like, does anyone have any real life experience with these schools? i couldn't attend uva's open house, and uva is the school i will most likely pick (i won't be able to afford new school or bc, although i'd LOVE to attend new school). any rumours about the department? i applied there because they claim to have a strong emphasis on theory. i'm looking for a department that is not afraid to cross boundaries and disciplines. i'm hoping uva is not too rigid.

thanks,

matt

Guest mememe
Hello,

I was accepted to boston college (masters only), uni of virginia, and new school. although i have an idea of what these schools are like, does anyone have any real life experience with these schools? i couldn't attend uva's open house, and uva is the school i will most likely pick (i won't be able to afford new school or bc, although i'd LOVE to attend new school). any rumours about the department? i applied there because they claim to have a strong emphasis on theory. i'm looking for a department that is not afraid to cross boundaries and disciplines. i'm hoping uva is not too rigid.

thanks,

matt

Hi Matt,

I did my MA at UVa in another field, but I visited the sociology department b/c I was thinking of changing fields. I'll tell you my impressions, but remember that these are my impressions from 2004.

Overall, UVa is very "old school", close-minded and rigid, though the environment of Charlottesville is the complete opposite of this.

I spoke with the head of graduate admissions for sociology that year, and he told me that they are very quantitatively-focused, similar to Duke or UNC. From what he told me, theory was not looked upon well, but this may have changed, as the department has a lot of young, new people, including a very kind professor who also does media studies. What I wanted to study was also a bit odd, so the prof may have just been trying to deter me.

I don't know if it is a competitive environment among students.

Is there any way you can visit the school? I think that the visit is very, very important. The feeling you get from the visit is usually accurate (at least, in my experience, it has been).

I don't know if this helped at all, and I hope that it doesn't deter you from going. I do hope, however, that you will do everything you can to try to visit.

Oh, the department should also be moving to a new location soon, as the building it's in will be torn down, so keep in mind that you may have new, nice facilities!

Guest mememe

Matt, I also forgot to tell you that UVa has a lot of money and will probably support your visit even though it's not the Open House

Thanks for your reply. This is kind of what I figured, but wasn't sure. On their homepage, however, they claim to be strongly focused on theory. Quantitative analysis did not appear to be a focus, although I need to be sure (I am not quantitative at all). If you spoke with Dr. Nock, he is very warm and helpful from my correspondance with him. As for money--uva will not fund me a dime to attend. Hopefully this will change the next year, assuming I decide to go. But they are definately not going to fund my visit there. Any strategies to procure funding? Perhaps if I whine enough...

matt

Matt, I also forgot to tell you that UVa has a lot of money and will probably support your visit even though it's not the Open House

Guest mememe
Thanks for your reply. This is kind of what I figured, but wasn't sure. On their homepage, however, they claim to be strongly focused on theory. Quantitative analysis did not appear to be a focus, although I need to be sure (I am not quantitative at all). If you spoke with Dr. Nock, he is very warm and helpful from my correspondance with him. As for money--uva will not fund me a dime to attend. Hopefully this will change the next year, assuming I decide to go. But they are definately not going to fund my visit there. Any strategies to procure funding? Perhaps if I whine enough...

matt

I would tell them that you are trying to decide among programs and would like to visit, but you are unsure if your budget will allow it. Simply start by asking about places to stay, etc. Chances are, they will fund part of your visit and/or make arrangements for you to stay in a local hotel or with a grad student. Also, your lunches and/or dinners will probably be provided by the department, if meals are with professors and/or current students. If you decide to go, let me know, and I can also tell you the cheaper places to grab a bite to eat.

Guest Carollei

Hi,

I've been thinking this for several days.... still can't get decision.

I got offer from U of Illinois at Chicago, MA in Sociology, with tuition waiver and TA about $1389x9 month. Don't know what kind of system it is(semester or quarter), should be able to finish in 2 years.

The other offer is U of Chicago, Master od Arts Program in Social Science(MAPSS), no funding, quarter system, one-year program.

Can somebody offer me some advicement about these two schools? I really can't decide..... :roll:

Thanks a lot...

Hi,

I've been thinking this for several days.... still can't get decision.

I got offer from U of Illinois at Chicago, MA in Sociology, with tuition waiver and TA about $1389x9 month. Don't know what kind of system it is(semester or quarter), should be able to finish in 2 years.

The other offer is U of Chicago, Master od Arts Program in Social Science(MAPSS), no funding, quarter system, one-year program.

Can somebody offer me some advicement about these two schools? I really can't decide..... :roll:

Thanks a lot...

Oh this is easy. Don't go into debt, especially if you want to go on to the PhD. Also, if you're going to apply for the PhD, you won't be able to apply for fall 07 even if you do MAPSS because you won't know professors well enough to get good recommendations. So, I'd go to the one giving me money since it'd be two years before you could begin the PhD either way.

If you aren't going to do the PhD, then just think about your finances. Someone in another thread (don't know where but there's a thread about Chicago's MAPH [the humanities equivalent] on this forum too) did a breakdown of how much debt could affect you. This is important since Chicago is such an expensive school and the city isn't exactly cheap to live in. So, if you think having that much debt and paying it down over 20 years (aside from any undergrad debt you may have) is worth it, then go to U of Chicago. But really, getting out of debt is ridiculous hard, why put yourself in a situation where you have to?

Carollei Hi,

well, I've applied to illinois -sociology too but in my case they have been showing "Decision deferred" on their status page for a long time now. I've written quite a number of mails to the department but they are certanly not very prompt in replying. Can you tell me how you got your offer? Was it through the website or by e-mail? Is it that you applied quite early... . The graduate school has also extended its deadline. The priority deadline (for international candidates) has been shifted from the 1st of Jan to the 15th of Feb (don't remember exactly...). That could have something to do with the delay.

Wonder how the schools send their acceptances. Is it by ordinary post or by some courier etc. In the former case, it may really take a lifetime for posts to reach here. You mentioned admissions at Chicago and UIC. I think Brittdreams is right on the money part. Aren't there any other schools that you are waiting for...

best

Guest carollei

Thanks, brittdreams....

I really want to feep purchase the PHD degree, and that's part of the reason I can't decide.

Cause I think that if I graduate from U of Chicago, it would be much easier for mr to apply for next school.

About the money part, the fact is that my parents in law are willing to lend me moneyfor grad school (I'll return the money after I start to make money...)

so the debt problem is not so big for me, thouch it is still a concern... would they just want me to study a tuition-free school?

abcd, I sent out my applicationof UIC at around 1/11, and got their e-mail notifing me the admission decision from the department of sociology at 3/2, got the same content letter by usps at 3/14, but I'm still waiting for the official notice from the graduate college and the office of admissions and records.

Hope the info would help.

Good luck

carollei,

the thing is that you really wouldn't be able to start PhD until fall 07 either way. In which case, what are you going to do in the year in between if you go to U of Chicago?

If you're interested in being a professor, getting TA experience as a masters student will be very beneficial. Schools want people that can come in and lead a section of an intro course.

UIC would also give you a deeper exposure to sociology. They are on semesters so you'd do 4 semesters vs. 3 quarters. You'd get sociology professors to guide your independent research project, which you could use as a writing sample for PhD. And you might even get the opportunity to publish. Just some things to think about.

Here's a link to the thread I was talking about before: http://thegradcafe.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=156

Guest guest
Thanks, brittdreams....

I really want to feep purchase the PHD degree, and that's part of the reason I can't decide.

Cause I think that if I graduate from U of Chicago, it would be much easier for mr to apply for next school.

About the money part, the fact is that my parents in law are willing to lend me moneyfor grad school (I'll return the money after I start to make money...)

so the debt problem is not so big for me, thouch it is still a concern... would they just want me to study a tuition-free school?.

Good luck

If you aren't satisfied with the idea of going to Illinois, and you won't go into debt doing the Chicago program, and you're satisfied that getting the MA from Chicago will launch you into the program you'd prefer to attend, then I think you have nothing to lose and everything to gain at Chicago. I was accepted with fair-to-good funding to solid programs in my field (not sociology), and I elected to go instead with a non-funded and top-ranked Master's program. I'm glad I did. I learned a lot about my field and grad school overall, and was actually awarded some $$ for my second year after all. I didn't decide to go on immediately for a PhD because I was offered a job I couldn't refuse, but I know that my MA and the job it got me will dramatically improve my applications next time round.