Students of Sociology!

yin-bodhi

Guest SHELLY

Well, one of my advisors was really young. He went through this process less than 10 years ago. So you'd think he'd know what it's like, right? Wrong. He only applied to 2 schools: He didn't get into School 1 and now he realized that was a long shot. He did get into School 2 (I think luckily considering my position). I think because of that he doesn't realize how difficult it is. The other person I spoke of was actually not an advisor but someone i asked for advice in the career services office so his phd is in another field.

I hope there are future applicants reading this on here who will know better when they apply! I will know better when I re-apply for PhD programs!

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Mnemosyne9

Britt, in my case, the advisor who was so very wrong about me is in her sixties and while she is publishing semiregularly, she's not on admissions committees and got her degree a veeeery long time ago. At least 40 years ago. So, that might be something to do with it.

She also snorted at me when I said my partner was going too and thus I was considering his needs and wants as well. I think that was because her husband just dumped her though, and she's going through a manhating phase. She'll be ok.

I realize this all sounds bad, but she's a very nice person and good at teaching small groups if not large ones.

i just realized that what i said sounded bad...i don't blame that "advisor". i just think he doesn't realize how hard it can be to get in with so many bright minds applying to the same programs. and i think getting into 1 out of 2 schools is very good but against the odds in this game. i didn't mean to say that he was lucky to get into grad school...just lucky considering he only applied to 2!

Okay, I've been sick and I had finals, but I'm feeling better and have three finals done! Yay! One paper and one more test to go!

Here's an update. I only have one of my original recommenders on board for "round two." However, I had an offer from my Sociology prof to write a letter and an offer from my IR prof to write letter for any of the IR programs. The IR prof has his degree from Brown and I have faith he would write me an awesome letter. He does not want me to give up and actually recommended I apply to Ohio University. He also recommended I apply to crazy programs that I would never get into, but that's okay... I'm flattered he has so much faith in me. So, I can apply to a couple of IR programs and then any Sociology program that only requires two letters. I think I will go for a couple IR programs and one or two Sociology programs. Eastern Michigan University still seems like my best bet for a Sociology program. The lady is so nice and it seems like it would fit me well.

I also sent in my application to an organization that has teaching jobs at private schools. That's my super-duper back-up plan! I hate kids, but I think I could handle some high schoolers if I got to teach a social science.

Okay, so as far "the wrench" that was thrown into my plans... I'm still working with it and trying not to panic. All I have to say is if you ever get a government job or if you are with someone who gets a government job, they have piss-poor planning on their projects and nothing is ever set in stone. Then, contract companies have to deal with their mess and try to reorganize their employees. UGH! However, like I said, plans are in the works and I'm working with what I have. UGH!

I hope people get good news this week!!! I haven't gotten any news since Boston University. All I've gotten in the mail since then is junk mail and my $58 stickers that the state of Ohio forces me to put on my car once a year. You think George Mason would have gotten back to me by now, but I guess they're mailing people.

I have been applying to so many assistantships! The dept. I applied to for my backup plan only offers 25% assistantships and i'm not even guaranteed one of those. so i've been applying to 25% and 50% assistantships elsewhere in the university.

I have 2 papers due and 2 tests next week but i can't get anything done. i never get any work done at work either. i thought the application process was over in january! no such luck.

well, at least if i get into this backup program, maybe my undergraduate GPA won't matter so much when i apply for PhD programs in a couple years...so it's ok if my papers/tests suck...right? and maybe i won't get fired since i only have 7 weeks left until i move anyway.

:)

Guest Guest1

Judith - did you end up hearing from Brandeis? I got my letter this week saying i was rejected (i was the guest that said i went on the interviews and mentioned the # of applicants and open spots). sad, but thats ok.

Guest shelly

What does everyone think about this? If I go to a masters program, would it be acceptable to apply for phd programs and transfer after one year, before completing the MA? I would have to ask my profs for letters of recommendation and I wonder if they would hold a grudge on that? Would it be against the system and looked down upon to commit to a masters program if I wasn't really intending to complete it there? I'm not sure if that's even what I want to do, I just wonder if it would be an option. Thanks for your advice! :D

oh, that is sad. Knowing the faculty, meeting with them, really helps and puts a face to an application. As soon as you know that your chances to get in are less than 5%, it does not depend any longer on purely your qualifications. It depends on what the particular faculty is looking for to fit their students, their program and their researches (soc-students versus non-soc; american versus int; only openings for a specific research - has to be lucky it is your field of interest and many other factors). I hope you have other options in the run for graduate school.

Still no envelope from Brandeis ... the mail to Hawaii has at least a 2 day delay with the mainland. I am afraid it is bad news as well ... but then at least I know and can cross out this one on my list. Maybe today?

Guest guest
oh, that is sad. Knowing the faculty, meeting with them, really helps and puts a face to an application. As soon as you know that your chances to get in are less than 5%, it does not depend any longer on purely your qualifications. It depends on what the particular faculty is looking for to fit their students, their program and their researches (soc-students versus non-soc; american versus int; only openings for a specific research - has to be lucky it is your field of interest and many other factors). I hope you have other options in the run for graduate school.

Still no envelope from Brandeis ... the mail to Hawaii has at least a 2 day delay with the mainland. I am afraid it is bad news as well ... but then at least I know and can cross out this one on my list. Maybe today?

I don't agree. I applied to six sociology programs (Ph D) and got admitted to three. At these three schools, I have no contacts to faculty – whatsoever. I haven’t even been to the cities were the schools are located. At my “reject

i meant: "Knowing the faculty can help ..." (I am also accepted to a program where I did not meet anyone, and that will count for many of us) - however, it can help for faculty to know the applicant in order to make their decision.

Hi Mnemosyne9,

did you send them soemthing by post or was it just an e-mail confirmation. I want to to know how official e-mail decisions are? Can one accept a program on e-mail or is it the snail mail that you have to wait for... I'm asking this becasue I've received four decisions (three acceptances and one wait list) on e-mail but nothing with those papers signed in ink yet. I guess, it is gonna take time as I'm an international applicant... but still, how crucial are those thick envelopes???

abcd

Hello All:

Currently, I am a junior at the University of Dayton. I have a major in English and a minor in soc.

Does anybody out there have recommended programs to apply to?

Any advice on the application process overall? I like to do things early, so I hope to have all of my apps finished by late fall.

Here are my stats:

3.85 GPA, 4.0 Soc GPA, 3.91 English GPA. Will take the GRE this summer. I have relevant research experience. I am currently working on an honors thesis in sex and gender in the media. (Transgender and transsexuality in contemporary television and movies). My advisor is well known in the field, and has served as the president of society of Symbolic Interactionist. His mentor was Carl Couch.

I am quite concerned about graduate school. I have a boyfriend and he plans to come too. Okay, that was a lot. Any advice?

Guest Mnemosyne9

abcd- I got an email acceptance followed by postal mail a few days later. (In the US.) I replied to the email without fully accepting, to ask about the aid package and all that.

In the postal mail bit was a form to sign and fax back if I was accepting, so that's what I did.

I don't think the envelope is key- if it makes you feel better, print out the emails:)

Hello All:

Currently, I am a junior at the University of Dayton. I have a major in English and a minor in soc.

Does anybody out there have recommended programs to apply to?

Any advice on the application process overall? I like to do things early, so I hope to have all of my apps finished by late fall.

Here are my stats:

3.85 GPA, 4.0 Soc GPA, 3.91 English GPA. Will take the GRE this summer. I have relevant research experience. I am currently working on an honors thesis in sex and gender in the media. (Transgender and transsexuality in contemporary television and movies). My advisor is well known in the field, and has served as the president of society of Symbolic Interactionist. His mentor was Carl Couch.

I am quite concerned about graduate school. I have a boyfriend and he plans to come too. Okay, that was a lot. Any advice?

pinkflyer - you should see if your department has the "guide to graduate departments of sociolgy" published by the american sociological association. it lists schools and their research areas and the faculty. you can see how big the cohort is and the amount of funding that each student receives.

it really depends on your research interests.

good luck!

Mnemosyne9 - thanks. well, there are some of us, we need reasons to be anxious. If there are none, we make our own anxiety brew... putting a lot of patience and hard labour into it (..often as thick as a work of art).

Guest Mnemosyne9

By the way, just got waitlisted at Toronto via email.

I'm more than a little pissed about this, because I wrote them two separate emails a week apart, the last one having been just over two weeks ago. I gave up after that (didn't call because of cost) and took the advice of my friend in the department and accepted Portland State.

Now Toronto writes back and says I'm on the waitlist and they might tell me something in two or three MORE weeks, maybe. WTF? I mean, I understand wait lists. That's fine. But TELL me where I stand, for fuck's sake, and at a reasonable time! I am not a puppy sitting at your doorstep waiting for the slightest sign of affection! I have a life and plans to make!

Portland State's offer deadline was April 1, so even if I got off Toronto's wait list it would still be past the PSU deadline. Screw Toronto, I've got funding and a good offer in the US. Toronto sociology doesn't let MA students do any teaching anyway.

::fume::

Mnemosyne, I'm sorry it didn't work out with you and Toronto! I think you will be happy at Portland State. Screw Toronto, anyhow. They obviously don't care too much if they can't even return an e-mail to you.

I'm soooo pissed. I got my grades back today:

Social Factors of Personality- A

World History Until 1500- A

Nation and Identity- A

Mass Communication and Society- B

Grrrrrr..... I'm taking that Communication prof to the chair because she was just awful. I could have gotten an 'A' but I still would have complained. I just hate having a 'B' in that class because I understand the material inside and out. She is from Germany and cannot speak or write English well. Her tests were awful because she flat out does not know what she's doing. Oh yeah, this was a 600-level class and she gave out two multiple choice tests. I begged her to let me write a research paper, but she said "no."

Oh, and it's story time.... My friend decided it would be funny to call my phone and leave a message saying it was from a college and they made a huge mistake. He made the message sound all professional and did a good job disguising his voice. He gave a call back number and a time for me to call. At this point, I was almost crying I was so excited. Then, he reveled himself at the end of the message and hung up. I was so upset. This was NOT funny. He used the chair's real name and everything. I just wanted to scream. He knows how hard this has been for me. Oh, and to make things better, I was on a road trip with my boyfriend and two other people (his friends) and this whole scene made me look like a complete ass. ARRUUGGHH!

Guest shellyb

I think that he would not be my friend anymore after that. That is just terrible! I can't believe it. He at least owes you big time for making such a huge mistake.

mnemosyne, i thought there was some national rule that grad programs couldn't make you commit before april 15th...? anyway, sounds like a good deal at portland state.

still no word from notre dame and i'm visiting my backup plan school friday. i already have meetings with 4 profs and 1 grad student, so i'm a little nervous about that. hoping to get a good assistantship and stipend....

good job getting started early pinkflyer! wish i would have done that. yeah, i would just look at websites for every soc dept you can find and see what the faculty are up to. my boyfriend is going with me too. advice on that: just always keep him up to date and be honest. and make sure he's being honest about how he feels about moving to wherever. good luck :roll:

I second that on the boyfriend issue. I had applied to 13 programs (not in sociology), and my husband knew it. When I got an offer in CA that I really wanted to take, however, he informed me that he would not be able to move (he was in a Ph.D. program and had finished his coursework; we agreed that I could go to grad school after he finished his classes and was studying for exams). So, I was stuck making a last minute decision (I was informed in late March of this school's decision) of being on the other side of the country from my hubby or taking a year off. Make sure that you and your boyfriend are completely open and honest and on the same page. Talk often and in detail. I wasted not only more than $1000 but also a lot of emotional stress...

Update time!

First, I got a letter saying that OSU would accept a class I took at WSU as my art credit. Therefore, I can complete my second minor in International Relations! Yay! I'm so happy! :D

Second, I got a letter from UMSL that said the chair of the department was out of the country, but she would call me as soon as she got back in the office. This letter was from a random professor and she said to call her if I have any questions. Is this a good sign? I don't think this is normal. She sent the letter on March 14th, it got to me today, and the chair will be in the office on March 23rd (two days). I'm a little excited. It seems (to me at least) that they want to keep me interested and updated. I wonder if this professor that wrote me is one who is interested in working with me. I might e-mail her and let her know I'm still interested in the program and I look forward to hearing from the chair.

Things are looking a little up on the grad school front today! Two good letters in the mail!

Okay, I have to comment on the boyfriend issue because my boyfriend is coming with me to grad school. I totally agree that you guys have to keep the lines of communication open. My boyfriend was very vocal on where he would and would not move. Luckily, he and I saw eye to eye on this issue so it really wasn't much of an issue. Talk to him at least once a week and keep him updated whenever you send in your stuff or get a letter. Let him know about funding options and keep him updated on funding issues. Also, make sure you discuss where he will work and what he will be doing during the time you're in grad school. Check out the job market in his field, unemployment rates of cities, cost of living, and other such issues. Best of luck!

Me: That sucks your hubby did that to you. I would have been outraged. I hope everything works out.