Students of Sociology!

yin-bodhi

i really wish i would have visited notre dame a few weeks ago, but i was wanting to go during spring break and now i feel like it's too late. but i think that might have helped my chances (Like IU for you meridionale). ah pooey.

but i did email profs in the departments i applied to. i dont think that's seen as sucking up. :)

i don't know anything about the schools you listed but i have friends who are undergrads at ISU, and they like it ok. i hear terre haute is dirty though. :lol:

good luck!

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Mnemosyne9

Hey Yin, sorry to hear about your rejection. I am still waiting for 4 schools to give results, one of which is Portland State. They have a good program in soc of healthcare, and Portland is an awesome place to live by all accounts. Much cheaper living expenses than a lot of big Pacific Northwest locations.

As for me, here's an overview of things:

I contacted a prof at Toronto I met with, a grad student in the department I'm friends with, and the departmental secretary and nobody knows if decisions have been made, or when the announcements will go out. ARGH. It sucks to be so nervous about my top choice and to have no idea what's up.

I emailed the secretary at Penn finally, as I am still in the dark about them. Their deadline was in December though, I don't think they are still taking applications. No word from the secretary anyway. Not my top choice but I would be happy as hell to get in.

Portland State's deadline is still a month away, so I am keeping that in my back pocket as a safety school and not worrying about it. They told me they needed proof I had a measles vaccination, fwiw, so I'm mailing that documentation Monday. (Weird, I know.)

Last but not least, UCSF's medical soc program is absolutely mum right now. They don't like you to email for info, just call, so I am going to do that maybe Monday if I get nothing... Their deadline was Feb 1 but they don't admit many so I figure it shouldn't take longer than a month to decide.

*sigh* Still just waiting!

Mnemosyne, I hope you get into Toronto! They are an awesome school and I've heard a lot of good things about the program! Are you talking about UPenn or Penn State? UPenn is great, but Penn State was nothing but rude to me whenever I tried to contact them. Plus, there's nothing to do outside of State College. I've been there and I wasn't too impressed. I would call UCSF; couldn't hurt things at this point. It sounds like you will get in somewhere and you should get funded okay. Best of luck!!

***Updated List*** I think I'm done, unless someone can give me another good program to put on the list.

Conflict Analysis/Dispute Resolution-

Wayne State University

University of Baltimore

Indiana State University (Housed in the Department of Sociology)

Portland State University

Montclair State University

IR-

Seton Hall University

University of Indianapolis

William Paterson University Of New Jersey

Sociology-

University of Indianapolis

Eastern Michigan University

American University

IUP

William Paterson University Of New Jersey

"Applications are accepted only for Fall semester matriculation (beginning in early October); the deadline for application is December 15 for admission the following September (December 15, 2005 for admission September 2006 for example.) Applications that arrive later will still be considered, but the chance of admission may be lower."

http://www.ssc.upenn.edu/soc/Graduate/a ... stance.htm (UPenn - Sociology website)

-Judith

"Applications are accepted only for Fall semester matriculation (beginning in early October); the deadline for application is December 15 for admission the following September (December 15, 2005 for admission September 2006 for example.) Applications that arrive later will still be considered, but the chance of admission may be lower."

http://www.ssc.upenn.edu/soc/Graduate/a ... stance.htm (UPenn - Sociology website)

-Judith

That's why they're not on the list. :)

I am writing from turkey and I haven't heard from any of the schools I have applied.these are:NYU,BU,Brown,Nothwestern,Purdue,UT Austin,Columbia,Yale

departments are mostly sociology but 3 are Middle East. Is it because I am an international student and applying from Turkey?

My stats:

The Ohio State University (June 2005-June 2006)

GPA: 3.8 (4.00 major)

Major: Sociology

Minors: Communication; International Relations

Honors: Alpha Kappa Delta, Golden Key International Honors Society

Wright State University (Sept 2003-March 2005)

GPA: 3.67 (All A's, one B, and one F [i was in the hospital])

Major: Sociology

Minor: Communication

Honors: Alpha Kappa Delta, Golden Key International Honors Society, Teaching Assistant for Sociology 101, American Sociological Association Honors Program

John Carroll University (Aug 1999-Nov 2001)

GPA: 2.97

Majors: Sociology and Communication

Minors: none

Honors: Chosen to represent the department of Sociology in the AsiaNetwork team (our team placed 2nd in the nation)

Why did I withdraw: bi-polar paranoid mother lied on my FAFSA; low grades due to an abusive relationship, but I was getting all A's the semester I was pulled out... Oh yes, they yanked me out after mid-terms. I was still considered a "dependent" so there wasn't anything I could do.

GRE (they're bad): V-470; Q-440; Writing- 6.0 (I'm a gifted writer... or at least I used to be... I haven't tried for a while.)

I got to read everyone's letteres and they seemed fine.

I wonder how you can improve your apps. Firstly, what did you do during the time between 2001-2003? Maybe you should start your narrative there when you are writing biographical information. Because even if you want to refer to John Carroll to stress your longstanding commitment to Sociology and your participation in the Asia team thing, the whole GPA and truncated course of study doesn't look good. I'd gloss it as much as possible.

Also. Have you published anything or taught, given papers at conferences? These should be stressed in your application. Maybe reread the LORs and see if there's anything problematic or that can be dually read. LORs should be from professors and scholars in the field, not employers if possible.

I'm inclined to encourage you to reevaluate your SOP, though I know nothing about it. Is it focused on your specific and unique areas of interest, including your background in that area plus what the specific program can offer to it? The SOP should NOT say anything like, "I've always loved sociology" or anything so vague or trite. Grad school aps are not really like college apps where they care about you as a well-rounded person or positive member of society, the SOP needs to demonstrate your awareness of pressing issues in the discipline

Example of BAD SOP: "I like media studies and socio-linguistics"

BETTER APPROACH: "By now most SocioLinguists have, at least in part, embraced the Social Good Theory proffered by Duke XYZ in his Famous Essay. My personal interest in Ensuing Approach is informed by New Cutting Edge Addendum Theory, an increasingly acknowledged offshoot of More Traditional Practice. When I worked with Beurocrat X on language restitution policies I became interested in alternative strategies for language preservation. Specifically, I am interested in the Fancy Name approach to holistic fieldwork embraced by Dr. whoever at the Smithsonian institution, where I did my internship last summer. Dr. Whomever's lab travels to remote regions where regional dialects are disappearing, and records oral folklore. In my own work on This and That Projects, I have likewise used Fancy Name approach. As I continue my research on Impressive Projects, I know that Your School, with Professor Miraculous and the Amazing Lab, is a perfect fit for my ongoing engagement with the Expanded Traditional Practice as well as increasing my knowledge of the New Edgy Theory and the Fancy Name Approach, as I build This and That Projects and change the world forever." ETC...

Thank you, Guest, for all your input!

First, you asked what I did from 2001-2003. I got a paralegal certificate, hopped myself up on anti-depressants, tried bisexuality, went to weird goth clubs, got attacked with a baseball bat with nails sticking out of it, worked a ton of odd jobs, moved out of my home because I couldn't forgive my mom for what she did to me, and cried myself to sleep almost every night because I wanted to go back to college so badly. Before I went to Wright State, I applied and was accepted to several universities across the nation; then my boyfriend got a job in Dayton and I went there.

Wright State was good to me. John Carroll kicked my ass and taught me how to study, but it wasn't until I got to Wright State where everything came together. Sure, the semester I was pulled out, like I said, I was getting all A's and had my duel major working for me. However, I was being pushed in a direction I really didn't want to go and my advisors didn't want to hear my input.

Needless to say, my SOP starts with Wright State. This could be the problem. I have be committed to Sociology since my senior year of high school when a teacher gave me a book and said, "here I think you might like this better than Psychology." Oh boy, was he right! However, I didn't include this story in my SOP.

I haven't published any papers, but I went to the American Sociological Association Honors Program and presented my research. I do mention this in my SOP. It was a great honor.

I was a TA for Sociology 101 at Wright State. Again, I mention this in my SOP. I held review sessions (which turned into lecture sessions) and then played review games with the students. There were 200 people in the class, but I got to know many of the students. Some even came to my office hours! I kept grades (I was the only one, the prof did not keep them) and graded assignments. I then filled out the forms to give everyone their final grade. After this, my statistics prof wanted me to TA for her, but then I had to move to Columbus. I wish I would have gotten the chance to teach stats. I'm good with SPSS and I love teaching.

My SOP has been looked at by others and I have read it over a million times. It looks at my history starting at Wright State, tells about my specific interests, and then tells the reader why their program is best for me. My SOP for George Mason points out specific professors I want to work with. A prof I have now that has his Ph.D. from Brown told me to include it in my SOP. I figured I didn't have anything to lose, so I added names so they could actually palce me with profs to work with.

Wow, I am amazed that everyone is trying to help me so much! Thank you! I'm going to take the list I have and look through the programs with a fine tooth comb. Then, I'm going to e-mail my recommenders and beg them to do a few more schools for me. I'm also going shoe shopping which I hate but I really need a new pair. I still need to break into those girl scout cookies!!

Thank you, Guest, for all your input!

My SOP has been looked at by others and I have read it over a million times. It looks at my history starting at Wright State, tells about my specific interests, and then tells the reader why their program is best for me. My SOP for George Mason points out specific professors I want to work with. A prof I have now that has his Ph.D. from Brown told me to include it in my SOP. I figured I didn't have anything to lose, so I added names so they could actually palce me with profs to work with.

Right, but like I said, simply telling a story about your bio, accolades, and dedication to the field) isn't enough. You have to contextualize it in the bigger story about the emergence and development of your very specific academic research interests. Every single application should refer to specific aspects of the program including select profs whose work you've read and want to work with. You need to as much as possible present yourself as a fully-formed scholar and not another enthusiast gunning for admission. Sorry but that's just the market (as I see it).

Guest Guest
I am writing from turkey and I haven't heard from any of the schools I have applied.these are:NYU,BU,Brown,Nothwestern,Purdue,UT Austin,Columbia,Yale

departments are mostly sociology but 3 are Middle East. Is it because I am an international student and applying from Turkey?

I am an international student. I have received an email from Nothwestern. Rejected :cry: Maybe you can check with them.

Guest Mnemosyne9

Yin- I was referring to UPenn, sorry. And I have not heard anything. I didn't call UCSF yet but I think I will do that Monday.. the Pacific time zone makes it hard for me to call from my own Central time, as most of my available time is in the morning here. Anyway.

Yin, it will be hilarious if we both end up at Portland State, good luck in your efforts!

I'm starting to narrow down my list. I made an Excel spreadsheet and I'm looking at everything side-by-side. Now, when I get home from having my coffee, I will e-mail my recommenders and beg them to do some more letters. If they say "no," then I need to find a couple other people to do them. I can only think of two and I don't know if either one would say "yes," so I hope my original three are up to the task. In a way, I don't see why they would say know when it takes two seconds to edit their letters. However, I already said I was done, so I'm going back on my word. UGH! This, to me, is the hardest part of this whole thing. I hate to bug people.

Okay, everyone do some voodoo for me tonight. I e-mailed a bunch of departments and my recommenders. I also sat down and talked to my boyfriend about everything. That helped a bit... UGH! Finals are coming up too and I have two papers due wednesday. FUN!

Guest Mnemosyne9

Rejected from UCSF. Sigh. They said that someone would contact me to explain what I could have done to strengthen my app. Not that I'm feeling exceptionally interested in hearing all that right now.

Three to go, hopefully I won't get rejected from all six...

Guest shelly

Ok. I am thinking about applying for the ma in sociology. i can't decide.

i'm scared it will just put me 2 years behind in going to a program i really like...whereas if i just take a year off, that's just 1 year behind.

i think i will apply, see what kind of job i could get here if i take the year off, and then pick between the 2.

any advice? thanks everyone

Shelly -

Put you behind in terms of getting your Masters and then applying to PhD programs? In other words, you fear you'll be two years off the mark? I would actually argue that it isn't two years wasted, particualrly if you use the time to acquire paid research opportunities. In fact, it can really strengthen a PhD application. Try to track down some fellowships for Masters students. Work closely with a professor. You can make good use of a two year Master's program (in terms of coursework but especially in terms of research experience), and that can give you a nudge to put you at the forefront of PhD admissions piles.

I did Masters first. It is a good two year investment if planned out thoughtfully and deliberatively.

Best of luck!

Oh yes - and what are you ultimately interested in studying? SIU-E is in a somewhat rural area, so if you are looking to do any urban sociology, you'd be somewhat compromised there. :)

Shelly, I think you should go for it! I don't think it will be waste, and if anything, you will have all those pesky theory and stats classes out of the way! Plus, you will gain research experience! I think it's a good choice and you should apply and visit.

Eastern Michigan University is getting me a bit excited. I think they still have funding left! "Round Two" may work out for me after all! I've gotten some really nice e-mails in my box. I'm just waiting for a couple more before I send out apps. 8)

Guest SHELLY

Thanks, guest! I guess I am just afraid that credits won't transfer and I'll have to fulfill the MA-like requirements once i get into a phd program. Did you have any of these problems?

also, since i'm not sure about the quality...i'm just nervous! do you know anything about the quality of the program?

I am interested in urban soc, but mostly soc of education, neighborhoods, etc. i was worried about that with siu-e, but i was hoping that it being near st. louis might help. i'm not too familiar with the faculty research yet but it seems very heavy on corrections issues...which i'm not really interested in. Thanks again.

Good luck Yin! My boyfriend was also so supportive. That helps a lot! any news from departments/recommenders?

Sorry to hear the bad news Mnemosyne...best hopes for the remaining 3. I'm still hoping to hear i've been moved from Notre Dame's wait list to the accepted group. that would help a lot.

Guest Mnemosyne9

Shelly- It's ok, I'm not really going to die over UCSF, lately I've been thinking about what kind of a job I will get if I don't go to grad school.

My partner and I will be moving away whether I get in or not, but if "not" we can choose basically any city we like because we have moving money saved up. (Though I'd probably want to try and be in one of the cities with a good soc program for next year.)

It's kind of exciting to think about, actually, since I'll have my BA, and I have work experience and web design skills, which could result in some decent earnings potential, especially in government jobs. He's a librarian w/MLS so he's easily employable. I think we could do really well for a year before I reapply to grad schools.

Just thinking out loud. There is life outside grad school, I'm kind of having an epiphany realizing that. So I feel much better than I did a week or two ago!

Guest SHELLY

hey, yin-bodhi, i just saw your post because you posted while i was posting. :) sounds good about eastern michigan!

they still have funding at SIUE, but it's only about $4000 per year (and tuition waiver), but i could get a job of course...and that's true, i could do stats and theory and then get into some research i love in a phd program...i would probably have to wait at least a year to do that once i got into a phd program anyway.

i do have to worry because my boyfriend isn't really very employable honestly...but he wants me to choose whatever i want to do.

i know i don't want to live in southern illinois. my parents live there and everyone is so closed-minded....well, it is just for 2 years and i should be so closed-minded as to say everyone is southern illinois is closed-minded!

Guest Mnemosyne9

Woo! I got accepted to Portland State with full funding, including tuition and a monthly stipend. I'm so psyched. (My partner is also psyched, he loves the Pacific Northwest.)

Still no word from Toronto, but unless they match the funding I'll probably end up in Portland. So exciting!!

Good luck all, even after three rejections I still got something!