NDSEG 2022-2023

fellowshipstress

On 11/9/2022 at 3:55 PM, fellowshipstress said:

I didn't see a thread so I decided to start one! Did anyone else apply this year? This is my first and only time applying. I applied for ONR geosciences.

hey @fellowshipstressI applied this year for biosciences. I was one of the unfortunate applicants from last cycle who was likely immediately disqualified because my recommenders used my name. Hopefully better luck next time and good luck to you!

I also applied! It's my first and last try. I was woefully unaware of grad school processes during undergrad and came back to school after working, so I age out of the program after this cycle. 

Good luck to everyone! Following this thread to get a better handle of timelines and when they actually release results. I just checked my portal today, and it looks like no one has touched my application yet, at least that I can see.

I just checked the SME part of the website - it looks like they don't even start evaluating applications until November 28. 

Which begs the question, why were applications due so early? I talked to a guy in my lab who was awarded NDSEG a couple years ago while applying, and he was convinced that I had the deadline wrong when I told him it was 10/31 because it was so early compared to previous years.

NDSEG-SME-Timeline.PNG

• 2 weeks later...

Are you all just seeing that on the activity pane of the application portal?

Mine hasn't been touched yet if so. Submited for ARL Maneuver System Trade Space.

Edit - just saw that it was last edited 11/21

Edited by aErO5544
Question answered by myself

6 minutes ago, fellowshipstress said:

Did anyone else get a missing references email? All references had to be submitted by 10/31, so I’m hoping this is another erroneous email.

I got the same email as well, prob erroneous. I also noticed on the portal it now says "Deadline: Dec 10 2022"... I wonder what it means and why it was added there? 

Edited by SciWolf157

14 hours ago, SciWolf157 said:

I got the same email as well, prob erroneous. I also noticed on the portal it now says "Deadline: Dec 10 2022"... I wonder what it means and why it was added there? 

Yeah mine says the same thing. Not sure why the deadline has changed, but I might contact them tomorrow and find out.

Did everyone else get the non sensical email about anonymity guidelines? I think they're trying to say that they'll give us the opportunity to scrub our applications of identifying information but it was poorly written. But I think that might be the reason for changing the deadline

Yea I think we're just learning that these people are beyond incompetent. I'm just trying to ignore their emails unless there's an action attached to it. Not much we can do now.

But it still would've saved me a heart attack if they wrote that email including that it is a mass email sent to everyone whether their application was anonymous or not.

8 minutes ago, aErO5544 said:

Did everyone else get the non sensical email about anonymity guidelines? I think they're trying to say that they'll give us the opportunity to scrub our applications of identifying information but it was poorly written. But I think that might be the reason for changing the deadline

I meant to reference this comment in my last post. I don't know why NDSEG always has such a hard time communicating with applicants. I didn't even find out I was rejected last year until well after everyone else had received information. 

1 minute ago, fellowshipstress said:

Is the anonymity email different than the missing references email? If so, I don’t think I received it…

Yes they were different emails but it seems like they often send these emails out manually so you may have just not received it yet 

Sent at 12:48 today:

Due to Failure to adhere to anonymity guidelines, we are working with Survey Monkey, and the NDSEG DoD Program Manager to allow applicants, who made it to the SME Review, the ability to correct the section permissible (more detailed information will be forthcoming). As we transition the selected applications, you may receive the automatic notifications that are a part of the system; please disregard. Once we have completed the transition, we will be able to remove all notifications. At this time there is NO ACTION required by you (the applicant).

On 11/14/2022 at 1:55 PM, aErO5544 said:

I also applied! It's my first and last try. I was woefully unaware of grad school processes during undergrad and came back to school after working, so I age out of the program after this cycle. 

Good luck to everyone! Following this thread to get a better handle of timelines and when they actually release results. I just checked my portal today, and it looks like no one has touched my application yet, at least that I can see.

I was just wondering what you mean by aging out of the requirements, do you mean the number of years left in grad school because I'm also a returning grad student and didn't see anything like an age limit, for example I know the Rhoads has an age limit of 25 

12 minutes ago, aErO5544 said:

Sent at 12:48 today:

Due to Failure to adhere to anonymity guidelines, we are working with Survey Monkey, and the NDSEG DoD Program Manager to allow applicants, who made it to the SME Review, the ability to correct the section permissible (more detailed information will be forthcoming). As we transition the selected applications, you may receive the automatic notifications that are a part of the system; please disregard. Once we have completed the transition, we will be able to remove all notifications. At this time there is NO ACTION required by you (the applicant).

Thanks! Hopefully the email is delayed, but maybe I didn’t even make it to the SME panel review ?