Fall 2023 Admissions

DeoTank

17 hours ago, Humeralhead said:

Can I ask you what PI was it? I applied there too and got my rejection yesterday.

I'm not comfortable using their name on here, but it was a new faculty member! So this would have been their first ever application cycle to admit students. According to them, all of the more senior faculty members had the final say. 

3 hours ago, anthromf said:

I'm not comfortable using their name on here, but it was a new faculty member! So this would have been their first ever application cycle to admit students. According to them, all of the more senior faculty members had the final say. 

Another update is that apparently they had 56 total applications across 3 subfields for only 3 spots. The DGS didn't specify how many spots were for each subfield. 

21 hours ago, Humeralhead said:

Can I ask you what PI was it? I applied there too and got my rejection yesterday.

Another update is that apparently they had 56 total applications across 3 subfields for only 3 spots! So definitely tight competition this year. The DGS didn't specify how many spots were for each subfield. 

(I apologize for the duplicate; when I posted this under my own post, I thought it would keep your original question attached to it, but it didn't). 

Does anyone know what subfield the UMass, Amherst person who was accepted is from? I applied there as well (archaeology track) but my application status still says "pending" on the portal! Now I'm wondering if they send out their admissions/rejections in batches, potentially broken down by subfield. 

For more context, I did not receive an interview request, but I wouldn't be surprised if archaeology doesn't conduct interviews at all. 

19 minutes ago, anthromf said:

Does anyone know what subfield the UMass, Amherst person who was accepted is from? I applied there as well (archaeology track) but my application status still says "pending" on the portal! Now I'm wondering if they send out their admissions/rejections in batches, potentially broken down by subfield. 

For more context, I did not receive an interview request, but I wouldn't be surprised if archaeology doesn't conduct interviews at all. 

I was accepted for biological, and I think someone else was accepted in sociocultural. Although weirdly enough when I go to the portal it has the "congratulations on your acceptance" message, but when I click application status it still says "pending." 

7 minutes ago, himy_95 said:

I was accepted for biological, and I think someone else was accepted in sociocultural. Although weirdly enough when I go to the portal it has the "congratulations on your acceptance" message, but when I click application status it still says "pending." 

Congratulations! Thank you for letting me know; that is really interesting. I'm definitely not getting that message in the portal, so maybe it is over for me, hah. I wish they would just email everyone with a decision notification if they have already finalized everything. 

Just now, anthromf said:

Congratulations! Thank you for letting me know; that is really interesting. I'm definitely not getting that message in the portal, so maybe it is over for me, hah. I wish they would just email everyone with a decision notification if they have already finalized everything. 

You never know, there's a good chance every subfield work differently, but I have no idea. And I get what you mean, when I applied last cycle there was one school that never even gave me an official rejection of any sort, I just never received an acceptance. Pretty sure if I logged in now it would still say pending lol 

4 hours ago, taayrup12345 said:

Would anyone happen to have an idea of how many people Berkeley typically interviews (not including the Medical Anthropology program)? This is the only school I interviewed with and my second cycle, so I'm just curious if there is actually a chance or if the short list pool is still quite large.

Last year I heard that they only took about 5 people because of funding issues, and my potential advisor wasn't able to provide any insight into the decision timeline unfortunately. Any insight would be great!!

When was your interview? I had mine on the 27th and haven’t heard back.

24 minutes ago, anthrokiddo said:

When was your interview? I had mine on the 27th and haven’t heard back.

My interview was also that week, and it sounds like there are a fair number of us who haven't heard back. I saw there was an acceptance listed today, but for 2 February, so I am also curious if that was one of the Medical Anthropology people or if the number of people accepted is just really small.

10 minutes ago, taayrup12345 said:

My interview was also that week, and it sounds like there are a fair number of us who haven't heard back. I saw there was an acceptance listed today, but for 2 February, so I am also curious if that was one of the Medical Anthropology people or if the number of people accepted is just really small.

I think I remember seeing two med anth acceptances on the date that post claims to have gotten their acceptance (Thursday, Feb. 2). I am wondering the same thing — have only the Med Anth people heard back or is the accepted cohort so small that it hasn’t made its way to gradcafe. 
Did you try reaching out to the department/any faculty?

Just now, anthrokiddo said:

I think I remember seeing two med anth acceptances on the date that post claims to have gotten their acceptance (Thursday, Feb. 2). I am wondering the same thing — have only the Med Anth people heard back or is the accepted cohort so small that it hasn’t made its way to gradcafe. 
Did you try reaching out to the department/any faculty?

The next week I reached out to my PI who was in the interview to ask about the decision timeline, but they said they didn't know since they weren't on the admissions panel. If you hear anything or end up reaching out to the department, please do post! 

1 minute ago, taayrup12345 said:

The next week I reached out to my PI who was in the interview to ask about the decision timeline, but they said they didn't know since they weren't on the admissions panel. If you hear anything or end up reaching out to the department, please do post! 

My PI wasn’t in the interview panel but I reached out to the professor who contacted me for the interview and they  haven’t gotten back to me (it’s been a couple of days!)

I don’t know what’s going on with the department ?

1 hour ago, himy_95 said:

You never know, there's a good chance every subfield work differently, but I have no idea. And I get what you mean, when I applied last cycle there was one school that never even gave me an official rejection of any sort, I just never received an acceptance. Pretty sure if I logged in now it would still say pending lol 

Ugh, that's so frustrating! I wouldn't be surprised if that were the case lol 

I'm wondering if UMass is just doing a silent waitlist kind of thing. I have heard that some departments will release admissions decisions a few at a time and then move onto the waitlist if the top choice of prospective students have already accepted elsewhere (without ever telling the next round of students they accept that they were ever waitlisted).  

2 hours ago, anthromf said:

Hi, if your portal is saying "pending" instead of "under review" I would guess you'll probably be getting a decision in a day or so. I know my portal said pending for almost a full day before showing I was accepted. Also, I've seen posts on here from previous cycles and people said the UMass system can take up to 48 hours to post a response once it says pending. 

40 minutes ago, AnthroPollie said:

Hi, if your portal is saying "pending" instead of "under review" I would guess you'll probably be getting a decision in a day or so. I know my portal said pending for almost a full day before showing I was accepted. Also, I've seen posts on here from previous cycles and people said the UMass system can take up to 48 hours to post a response once it says pending. 

Awesome, thank you so much! I'm really glad to have a timeline about the decision now that the portal says pending. Tbh today is the first time I've actually checked the portal (since I saw you and the biological anth's posts), so I didn't actually realize that it previously said "under review" lol 

I appreciate you looking into those posts from previous years! This is not my first cycle applying, but I didn't know about gradcafe the first time I applied and haven't done that much digging into previous years. 

1 hour ago, TinCanBaby said:

Got my USC interview request yesterday after bugging them forever for their timeline . But will say they have been among the few very transparent throughout the process .

assuming rejections from Stanford, Berkeley and Uc Irvine and Penn.  Did not get interviews 

Congrats!

Also assuming rejection from UCI bc I didn't get an interview. But then again some people at other places have been accepted without interviews so theres like 0.000001% chance for me :3 

2 hours ago, TinCanBaby said:

Got my USC interview request yesterday after bugging them forever for their timeline . But will say they have been among the few very transparent throughout the process .

assuming rejections from Stanford, Berkeley and Uc Irvine and Penn.  Did not get interviews 

Congrats! Who can I write to regarding USC app status?