Fall 2023 Admissions

DeoTank

11 hours ago, PhilAnthro said:

I am so tired of the radio silence of UCI. They sent out interview invites about a week ago. Why can't they just send the rejection letters already if they know who they're going to accept (i.e. those who were invited to interview). I'm so sick of this ? 

Same, wrote to them yesterday, and got this standard response: "Graduate admissions decisions are made at the department level. The Graduate Division does not have any information beyond what appears on your application checklist. Once your department makes a decision on your application, you will be notified by email and be able to view the decision(s) on your application status page at apply.grad.uci.edu/status.

For more information on your program's admission timeline, please contact the program directly. You can find their contact information here: https://grad.uci.edu/admissions/degree-programs/."

58 minutes ago, chompsky said:

Same, wrote to them yesterday, and got this standard response: "Graduate admissions decisions are made at the department level. The Graduate Division does not have any information beyond what appears on your application checklist. Once your department makes a decision on your application, you will be notified by email and be able to view the decision(s) on your application status page at apply.grad.uci.edu/status.

For more information on your program's admission timeline, please contact the program directly. You can find their contact information here: https://grad.uci.edu/admissions/degree-programs/."

That's funny because I messaged my POI about this and he answered really fast saying he doesn't have that information (whether or not I have been rejected or when we will know). 

For a $155 application fee, one would expect at least a tracking system like Domino's smh 

19 hours ago, PhilAnthro said:

I am so tired of the radio silence of UCI. They sent out interview invites about a week ago. Why can't they just send the rejection letters already if they know who they're going to accept (i.e. those who were invited to interview). I'm so sick of this ? 

Yeah it really sucks they don't tell people they're rejected until ALL the waitlist/acceptance decisions have also been made. I guess they want to keep a few in rotation for their back pocket 'just in case' but it's awful for us. I'm super on edge cause someone posted an interview from JHU and ahhhhhhh

21 minutes ago, chaffinch said:

Yeah it really sucks they don't tell people they're rejected until ALL the waitlist/acceptance decisions have also been made. I guess they want to keep a few in rotation for their back pocket 'just in case' but it's awful for us. I'm super on edge cause someone posted an interview from JHU and ahhhhhhh

Same. People have been invited to interview for UCI on Feb 3 (which is the only school I applied for) and I haven't heard anything yet so it's either a rejection or waitlist for me but I wish they'd just be out with it already. 

17 hours ago, Riceberry said:

Just got my offer from McGill! Super happy. 

Congrats !! Can I ask you who your POI / supervisor was ? McGill was my very first choice and I didn't have any answer after the interviews, so really crushed right now haha 

Thank you so much and well done !!

1 minute ago, Ouriah said:

Congrats !! Can I ask you who your POI / supervisor was ? McGill was my very first choice and I didn't have any answer after the interviews, so really crushed right now haha 

Thank you so much and well done !!

Dr. Kirmayer and Professor Hyde. I hope you will get good news soon! 

2 minutes ago, Riceberry said:

Dr. Kirmayer and Professor Hyde. I hope you will get good news soon!  Thank you sooo much for this quick answer ! We'll see but I guess there's nothing left to do but wait. And we didn't apply with the same supervisor so I gues there's still a chance left ! Once again congrats and thanks for your kind answer ! 

UCLA news: randomly checked the portal and saw a decision letter.  Rejection.  Didn’t sting too bad.  Not my top 3.  

Still holding out for USC just for torture, but honestly I feel confidently that Brown is the best match for me considering my subfield/areas of interest/faculty and overall how the department operates.

3 minutes ago, chompsky said:

Brandeis interviews are done?

I saw a post a while back ( 1/27) (page 8 ) that said there were 15 candidates who had been selected for interviews and that the process was otherwise being finalized.  I was wondering if the post on the stream was just one of those or if maybe they were still looking.

1 hour ago, bleem7 said:

I saw a post a while back ( 1/27) (page 8 ) that said there were 15 candidates who had been selected for interviews and that the process was otherwise being finalized.  I was wondering if the post on the stream was just one of those or if maybe they were still looking.

They are still looking but this might just be the final interview. Brandeis Anthropology has funds for 2-3 PhD students. Rest is funded by two region specific centres. 

1 minute ago, tkb3293 said:

They are still looking but this might just be the final interview. Brandeis Anthropology has funds for 2-3 PhD students. Rest is funded by two region specific centres. 

So they accept 2-3 applicants plus additional people focused on those regions?  Are they considered together or do the centers have their own schedule?  Thank you!

32 minutes ago, bleem7 said:

So they accept 2-3 applicants plus additional people focused on those regions?  Are they considered together or do the centers have their own schedule?  Thank you!

The department decides on the 2-3 then submits two additional people to the centers. The centers decides simultaneously. Also Israel and Middle East are the two regions