Fall 2023 Admissions

DeoTank

23 hours ago, Kankabatir_tirey said:

Hello everyone! Bad bad Tuesday. Back to back rejections within an hour. UT Austin and then UNC Chapel Hill. I guess this year is pretty much going downhill.

0a/0w/0i/3r/9p

Hang in there!!!!! You have nine total apps right.  Anything can happen.  I heard of someone getting an acceptance in April.  It’s a headache to imagine waiting that long.  But it’s still something to hold close.  I hope we all find somewhere to go that helps our research to grow—even if it is not what we expected.

Just now, TinCanBaby said:

Hang in there!!!!! You have nine total apps right.  Anything can happen.  I heard of someone getting an acceptance in April.  It’s a headache to imagine waiting that long.  But it’s still something to hold close.  I hope we all find somewhere to go that helps our research to grow—even if it is not what we expected.

Hey. Thanks for these kind words. Well, it turns out. Miracles do happen. Got an email just sometime back from my POI at U of Maryland notifying me of acceptance to the program. First acceptance, so super excited to have this offer. I really hope everything turns out well for all of you! 

I had applied to 12 schools. 4 done. 8 more to go.

1a/0w/0i/3r/8p

1 minute ago, Kankabatir_tirey said:

Hey. Thanks for these kind words. Well, it turns out. Miracles do happen. Got an email just sometime back from my POI at U of Maryland notifying me of acceptance to the program. First acceptance, so super excited to have this offer. I really hope everything turns out well for all of you! 

I had applied to 12 schools. 4 done. 8 more to go.

1a/0w/0i/3r/8p

See what I’m saying! You can’t let this mess get to your head.  Congrats!!!!!!!

3 minutes ago, TinCanBaby said:

See what I’m saying! You can’t let this mess get to your head.  Congrats!!!!!!!

Thanks. Really!!! I love this forum because we can share and put across what we are feeling every moment in this process. It's good to know here that each one of us is not alone. I was so anxious because of the 3 straight rejections coming my way within a week. But now, with the offer, I feel far more composed. It's like, I can think straight, finally. 

7 minutes ago, Kankabatir_tirey said:

Thanks. Really!!! I love this forum because we can share and put across what we are feeling every moment in this process. It's good to know here that each one of us is not alone. I was so anxious because of the 3 straight rejections coming my way within a week. But now, with the offer, I feel far more composed. It's like, I can think straight, finally. 

The cards are in your hand now.  And when the next offer comes through, you can negotiate

yes while the results page make me feel crazy, the forum normalizes the full experience.  The ups + the downs.

On 1/30/2023 at 4:30 PM, barbzbabez said:

No clue, but really holding out hope because Princeton is one of my top choices : ' )

Although previous posts re:princeton have indicated they were accepted without interviews so who knows

I saw that post too but that one was from 2020 when Princeton didn't run this whole interview thing. Seems from last year they began to interview people. Not sure if all shortlisted candidates are interviewed, but I am beginning to feel a little dark now.....

Anyways fingers crossed for us!

Edited by xxyyzzz

6 minutes ago, xxyyzzz said:

I saw that post two but I think that one was from 2020 when Princeton didn't run this whole interview thing. Seems that from last year they began to interview people. Not sure if all shortlisted candidates are interviewed, but I am beginning to feel dark now.....

Fingers crossed for us!

There was one for the 2021 cycle where they accepted without interviews and "prior warning." Have you heard of anyone getting interviews other than the 1-2 on GradCafe for this cycle? Perhaps I am just so nervous I'm delusional at this point, but hopefully it's for the best LOL

12 minutes ago, barbzbabez said:

There was one for the 2021 cycle where they accepted without interviews and "prior warning." Have you heard of anyone getting interviews other than the 1-2 on GradCafe for this cycle? Perhaps I am just so nervous I'm delusional at this point, but hopefully it's for the best LOL

Oh yes 2021! But for the 2022 cycle people seem to get interviewed... I don't know anyone getting interviews at Princeton. I am contacting a current student and will make sure to let you know if I hear back!

23 minutes ago, barbzbabez said:

The current student said she doesn't know T_T

1 hour ago, OffSTpl said:

Got my acceptance to UCD this morning, extremely happy since this is one of my top fit program. POI informal email. But saying they offer 5 years TAship and only 2 years of summer support. Anyone knows about how does this scholarship sounds like?

I would say that sounds pretty good! Five-ish years of funding is pretty normal, from what I can tell. After the first couple of years, you should probably have some research grants to help cover the summer anyway.

1 hour ago, PhilAnthro said:

Hi folks 

I just saw in the results page that someone was accepted to the program I'm applying to. I haven't heard anything yet. Is it safe to assume I'm in the reject pile and they're sending the accepted emails first? I'm so anxious

I would take results on here with a grain of salt unless there are many results from the same school at the same time. I am hesitant to believe much from the results page otherwise, especially stand alone decisions from large and popular programs!

Edit (adding details): If I work myself up enough though I will check the forums here and on Reddit to see if anyone is discussing decisions/interviews/updates that have not been posted here. If not, and the decision is stand alone, I keep confidence. I have not heard a solid decision back from anyplace though so there might be some delusion on my end LOL! Fingers crossed -- we got this!

Edited by barbzbabez

Why is Yale Anthropology taking such a long time. Majority of programs decided already. I am so nervous as I am a transfer applicant and my whole summer and academic trajectory depends on this admit. Also Harvard Anthropology is going to decide the shortlist by the end of this week. I just got to know from my PI. 

Good Luck to everyone who applied 

Just now, barbzbabez said:

Laughs with 8 schools that have yet to release decisions

Lol I am sorry. I know I sound ungrateful but trust me grass is not greener on the other side. You may think that getting in the only challenge one has to overcome but the logics of a PhD will leave you dumbfounded especially if your Pi decides to take off without any notice. 

19 minutes ago, barbzbabez said:

I would take results on here with a grain of salt unless there are many results from the same school at the same time. I am hesitant to believe much from the results page otherwise, especially stand alone decisions from large and popular programs!

Edit (adding details): If I work myself up enough though I will check the forums here and on Reddit to see if anyone is discussing decisions/interviews/updates that have not been posted here. If not, and the decision is stand alone, I keep confidence. I have not heard a solid decision back from anyplace though so there might be some delusion on my end LOL! Fingers crossed -- we got this!

Thank you for your reply. Where is the best place to check decisions? Which subreddits? 

Hey guys. I just checked on the results page and Rice has started giving out interview dates. I haven't received anything yet from them so I'm a little anxious. Is it time to send that mail requesting feedback on my application?

1 minute ago, Yoda300 said:

Hey guys. I just checked on the results page and Rice has started giving out interview dates. I haven't received anything yet from them so I'm a little anxious. Is it time to send that mail requesting feedback on my application?

If it has been more than a month since you submitted, then yes.

Good Luck 

hey for anyone who is interested in UCI:

idk why someone posted they got into irvine, seems something's weird with people making up fake posts this year.... POI says they are just about to send out emails to top candidates for invitation to zoom visit day. so, the interview notification should be very soon but there are no decisions yet 

1 hour ago, barbzbabez said:

Laughs with 8 schools that have yet to release decisions

Would you have any information about Columbia by any chance? It had one of the earliest deadlines and there has been no movement on my app since December 1st. Should I assume a rejection at this stage?

2 hours ago, chaffinch said:

hey for anyone who is interested in UCI:

idk why someone posted they got into irvine, seems something's weird with people making up fake posts this year.... POI says they are just about to send out emails to top candidates for invitation to zoom visit day. so, the interview notification should be very soon but there are no decisions yet 

Are you talking about the anthropology one? I was wondering about that too 

Edit: sorry I forgot this is the anthropology forum lol

Edited by PhilAnthro