Fall 2023 Admissions

DeoTank

1 hour ago, anthro2023hopeful said:

Hi- probably a bit of an odd q but I've noted people here are sending emails to schools to figure out a timeline, how regular is that/what sorts of things do you say in the email? Thank you all so much- feeling a little lost in this whole process as it is only my first cycle

Many departments will have a contact that may or may not answer questions with full transparency.  There have been a lot of shifts re the issues with this process and changes have been made at many institutions.

in general, you want to express continued interest and either ask them where they are in the process or if a certain step has been taken or where you are. I find I get more information when I ask about the process in general.

depending on what your feelers tel you, either contact the poi or the admissions contact.  When I have contacted the admissions lead within the department my inquiry has been well received with the exception of one school—she gave me bit of a cold, scripted response.  She was not faculty but administrator. And honestly when that happens you should pay attention.  It is information for you in general about how things roll in that department.

19 minutes ago, TinCanBaby said:

Many departments will have a contact that may or may not answer questions with full transparency.  There have been a lot of shifts re the issues with this process and changes have been made at many institutions.

in general, you want to express continued interest and either ask them where they are in the process or if a certain step has been taken or where you are. I find I get more information when I ask about the process in general.

depending on what your feelers tel you, either contact the poi or the admissions contact.  When I have contacted the admissions lead within the department my inquiry has been well received with the exception of one school—she gave me bit of a cold, scripted response.  She was not faculty but administrator. And honestly when that happens you should pay attention.  It is information for you in general about how things roll in that department.

Thank you so much, this was super helpful. I really appreciate it!

9 minutes ago, Riceberry said:

Any one applied to Yale and heard anything back yet.

I am so heart-broken I didn't hear back from Berkeley ? I thought I had a great connection with POI. 

Hi! I just finished my interview with Berkeley, and they told me that they are still finalizing everything. There's still hope! 

7 hours ago, substitutemeat2022 said:

Haven't heard anything just yet. But I did see an interview post on the results page a while back. 

Thanks for the response. I've messaged the graduate coordinator. Just waiting for their response. Given the amount of false posts, I'm not sure if that post is real. I'll update the forum as soon as I get an answer.

1 hour ago, sanadin said:

Thanks for the response. I've messaged the graduate coordinator. Just waiting for their response. Given the amount of false posts, I'm not sure if that post is real. I'll update the forum as soon as I get an answer.

You're right! I wonder why there are so many fake posts. It prevents this site from being a source of comfort for so many of us who get anxious about the uncertainty and lack of transparency.

1 hour ago, TinCanBaby said:

There are just so many odd looking posts. One that’s shows up often across disciplines is: the gpa ia for two masters.  And then there is no gpa even listed. ? 

Oh wow! I totally fell for that. Maybe we should make a list of things that makes a post suspicious :D

- "5 publications, 1 book, 5+ years experience working in the field" etc is a clearly a red flag. Early on I fell for that one too. lol

(Also.. I'm starting to hate weekends these days because its just another break from possibly exciting news :P)

2 hours ago, substitutemeat2022 said:

Oh wow! I totally fell for that. Maybe we should make a list of things that makes a post suspicious :D

- "5 publications, 1 book, 5+ years experience working in the field" etc is a clearly a red flag. Early on I fell for that one too. lol

(Also.. I'm starting to hate weekends these days because its just another break from possibly exciting news :P)

I hope my grad programs don't think I'm a fake applicant! I just have 2 books (1 translation and 1 under press master thesis) + 1 prepared article + 3 years work experience.

5 hours ago, substitutemeat2022 said:

I got my interview request on a Sunday morning!!!

5 hours ago, substitutemeat2022 said:

Right!? Like a whole book and five years in the field. ? well then!

10 hours ago, sanadin said:

I didn't apply for Brandeis, but I ran across another person on another platform who received an interview from them which seems credible to me. Not that the post you mention is 100% true but it seems they did send out some invites earlier this week.

Good luck!!!

Edited by xxyyzzz

Any other UChicago interviewees out there? I'm curious how many faculty members contacted and interviewed you? The status update says one faculty member will reach out to set up an interview, so I was under the impression that I'd only be interviewed once. But in my interview with one of my PoIs she told me there'll be another professor (she gave a specific name) contacting and interviewing me. But I was contacted by no people. Their interview window was Jan. 24-26 after which they met on Jan. 27 to finalize things. I am so confused now... Also it seems from last year interviewees were each contacted by two faculties, which makes me feel even more nervous now... Anyone could enlighten me what might have happened?

5 minutes ago, tkb3293 said:

They have finalised a list of 15 people for interviews and will be sending out emails in the coming week. 

Good Luck 

Wow seems like the other person I ran cross is also fake... cannot believe it... Thanks for your clarification!

4 minutes ago, xxyyzzz said:

Wow seems like the other person I ran cross is also fake... cannot believe it... Thanks for your clarification!

Yeah I don't know what joy people get from posting these fake results. It is so panic inducing. Also did anyone reach out to Yale DGS to ask about the timeline. I am stressing tf out 

8 hours ago, sanadin said:

I hope my grad programs don't think I'm a fake applicant! I just have 2 books (1 translation and 1 under press master thesis) + 1 prepared article + 3 years work experience.

lol! Fwiw admissions committee we are not this was a repeat post on the results page that was giving off catfish vibes.  Like a few other notes in the results that show up at odd times in the cycle or on several posts.

but your question makes me think, has anyone done this to an admissions committees ? like a whole fake application?

i think you’re fine.  

3 hours ago, xxyyzzz said:

Any other UChicago interviewees out there? I'm curious how many faculty members contacted and interviewed you? The status update says one faculty member will reach out to set up an interview, so I was under the impression that I'd only be interviewed once. But in my interview with one of my PoIs she told me there'll be another professor (she gave a specific name) contacting and interviewing me. But I was contacted by no people. Their interview window was Jan. 24-26 after which they met on Jan. 27 to finalize things. I am so confused now... Also it seems from last year interviewees were each contacted by two faculties, which makes me feel even more nervous now... Anyone could enlighten me what might have happened?

Hey another confused UChicago interviewee here! I was contacted by two professors for interview separately on the 24th and the 25th, and they seem to not know about the other interview... I have no idea that they met on the 27th to finalize things... Did your POI tell you this?

1 hour ago, kxz said:

Hey another confused UChicago interviewee here! I was contacted by two professors for interview separately on the 24th and the 25th, and they seem to not know about the other interview... I have no idea that they met on the 27th to finalize things... Did your POI tell you this?

I think they know. They just didn't mention it to you. And yes, my POI told me so.

OMG that makes me really nervous. How come the other professor never contacted me...

On 1/28/2023 at 8:50 AM, substitutemeat2022 said:

Haven't heard anything just yet. But I did see an interview post on the results page a while back. 

We have made the first cut of applicants, it's true, and at this point will not be making other interview offers, though things may change. I am sorry to be the bearer of disappointing news. We can't give specific feedback on statements of purpose, but much depends on the number of applicants working in a specific area and the availability of faculty.