Fall 2023 Admissions

DeoTank

6 hours ago, Humeralhead said:

Any other Northwestern applicants? I just got invited to the recruitment weekend in February so I feel a bit more hopeful.

Congrats! That's positive for sure. I'd applied to Northwestern as well. Sociocultural track. Haven't heard back from them. So, I'd assume it's also potential bad news duhh..

On 1/18/2023 at 9:51 AM, squidink said:

I was asked basic questions (what research do I want to do, why Brown, specific questions about the project, questions about background info about me based on what's on my SOP or CV). So all questions you should know the answer to already. I didn't really do anything to prepare for the interview but if you feel nervous try doing a mock interview with someone beforehand. I was very nervous before my WashU Interview because that was my first one and I felt very uncertain about the process but it was straightforward so just try to relax beforehand. They give a timeline of when you can expect to hear back by at the end of the interview. Generally speaking, once you interview that's it. For example, Brown interviews approx 20 people and accepts 8-10. The interview was relatively informal but my PI was pretty chill so it could differ depending on the person. Hope this helps!

Oh this is so interesting. I also applied to Brown (population track) but I didn't get an interview invite so I guess it is a soft rejection. Good tips for preparing to other interviews. Thanks!

1 hour ago, Kankabatir_tirey said:

Congrats! That's positive for sure. I'd applied to Northwestern as well. Sociocultural track. Haven't heard back from them. So, I'd assume it's also potential bad news duhh..

Hey! I applied to the Northwestern Sociocultural track and haven't heard anything back either. Perhaps the applications for the socio-cultural track are being processed a bit slower *fingers crossed* 

12 hours ago, chompsky said:

Hey! I applied to the Northwestern Sociocultural track and haven't heard anything back either. Perhaps the applications for the socio-cultural track are being processed a bit slower *fingers crossed* 

Also applied there sociocultural and haven't heard anything! Constantly waiting lol

On 1/18/2023 at 7:49 PM, substitutemeat2022 said:

The format was the same for me. They were pretty strict about keeping time. But we went 10 minutes over. The asked questions about the project based off my SOP and CV. It was quite straightforward but I was very nervous as well. The profs were very kind and encouraging. 

Thank you! It's quite similar to my interview as well! 

11 hours ago, Kankabatir_tirey said:

Hi, everyone. Wondering if there is any news from UCI or U of Minnesota. Usually, every year, by this time their interviews are done. (At least, that's what happened last year). Did anyone receive interview invites? Any news on these schools?

I've applied to UCI as well. I haven't heard anything just yet. Nothing on the results page either. Not sure about U of Minnesota though.

6 hours ago, substitutemeat2022 said:

I've applied to UCI as well. I haven't heard anything just yet. Nothing on the results page either. Not sure about U of Minnesota though.

UCI app here too. No updates.  Has anyone who applied to UCI made contact with the department level admissions contacts? Or POI?  I think this coming week I’ll start sending emails expressing continued interest and request information on the next steps in process.  

3 hours ago, TinCanBaby said:

UCI app here too. No updates.  Has anyone who applied to UCI made contact with the department level admissions contacts? Or POI?  I think this coming week I’ll start sending emails expressing continued interest and request information on the next steps in process.  

Not yet. I'm also planning to send emails to a few schools at the end of the coming week. If anyone has any information before that, please do share here.

21 hours ago, Kankabatir_tirey said:

Hi, everyon. Wondering if there is any news from UCI or U of Minnesota. Usually, every year, by this time their interviews are done. (At least, that's what happened last year). Did anyone receive interview invites? Any news on these schools?

My friend interviewed for U of Minnesota Anthropology last week. They are just beginning to interview. He was the first one (Socio-Cultural Track)

tough day- after interviewing at Wash U in December got my first rejection. Also reached out to another state school I was accepted to in December about funding (which I was told was separate) and I received a very cryptic response that I am pretty sure means the offer is unfunded. And completely unrelated but also recieved an email this morning that my credit score has dropped for no reason... happy monday! Feeling pretty hopeless, still have 6 places left but feeling like there's no way I'm getting in anywhere now. Guess it is time to start job searching! Wishing the best of luck to everyone else in being able to follow your dreams!! 

48 minutes ago, anthro2023hopeful said:

tough day- after interviewing at Wash U in December got my first rejection. Also reached out to another state school I was accepted to in December about funding (which I was told was separate) and I received a very cryptic response that I am pretty sure means the offer is unfunded. And completely unrelated but also recieved an email this morning that my credit score has dropped for no reason... happy monday! Feeling pretty hopeless, still have 6 places left but feeling like there's no way I'm getting in anywhere now. Guess it is time to start job searching! Wishing the best of luck to everyone else in being able to follow your dreams!! 

I'm so sorry to hear that, sending lots of warmth your way. This is my second cycle with the apps, and I am such a ball of nerves, and a part of me can't understand why I've chosen to subject myself to this a second time - for the prospect of a decade of very little money, immense precarity, and a flailing job market at the end of all that. I really wish they could make this bit easier for us, at the very least. Like if they could just have a clear timeline, where we know what to expect when. My heart stops a little every time I get an email notification and I just don't understand why this whole process has to be shrouded in such secrecy and uncertainty

Nothing like getting a rejection and having to carry on with the rest of your work day lol.

I applied to Washington University in St. Louis with an archaeology focus, and I did not interview (so the rejection was not completely out of the blue). A little weird this year because they shifted the submission date earlier, so I guess all/most of the interviews happened in December.

I have one other application I'm waiting on, so here's hoping ? 

Applying for phds doing maritime archaeology. I applied to:

Yale anth

harvard anth

stanford anth

uc Berkeley AHMA

UCSD scrips institute oceanography

oxford arch

oxford arch sci

oxford NERC dtp 

Has anyone gotten any interview from any of these schools?! Has been radio silent 

Edited by Skier94
Addition

Hello guys. Hope you're hanging good. Has anyone seen any updates on Anthropology PHD applications for Rice U? Submitted my application since last November and haven't heard anything back.