Fall 2023 Admissions

DeoTank

2 hours ago, tkb3293 said:

Hey Guys. 

I am quite anxious. Has anyone heard back from Yale Anthro. Or does anyone know when they are going to send out interviews or rejections. 

Not a Yale applicant but I checked how they did things in 2022 and 2021. It looks like they sent interview requests around the second week of February and acceptances/rejections/waitlist decisions around the third week. Maybe this will help with the anxiety?

Edited by substitutemeat2022

1 hour ago, xxyyzzz said:

Saw two posts about Princeton interviews. Anyone knows they're for archaeology or sociocultural? Not sure if I should still retain some hope...

No clue, but really holding out hope because Princeton is one of my top choices : ' )

Although previous posts re:princeton have indicated they were accepted without interviews so who knows

I'm just going to complain a bit in this post. I feel like the people on this thread might be uniquely placed to understand my anxiety a little better than many people in my life atm..

My anxiety has been through the roof these past few days. The plan for my flights back home depends on whether I get an offer this cycle. I know I'm very lucky to have gotten 2 interviews so far from Duke and UCB. But I just wish they'd let me know at least something! I've just been through a gruelling 3 year Masters program and I need a short break ffs. I know that some waitlist decisions have gone out for Duke. So if it is a rejection, I just wish they'd let me know. 

10 minutes ago, substitutemeat2022 said:

I'm just going to complain a bit in this post. I feel like the people on this thread might be uniquely placed to understand my anxiety a little better than many people in my life atm..

My anxiety has been through the roof these past few days. The plan for my flights back home depends on whether I get an offer this cycle. I know I'm very lucky to have gotten 2 interviews so far from Duke and UCB. But I just wish they'd let me know at least something! I've just been through a gruelling 3 year Masters program and I need a short break ffs. I know that some waitlist decisions have gone out for Duke. So if it is a rejection, I just wish they'd let me know. 

You are definitely in the right place. I am sure many of us, myself included, are uniquely positioned to understand high-achieving academic anxiety. 

First, this is a random unsolicited book recommendation but I would suggest reading “The Four Agreements” by Don Miguel Ruiz. I have been reading his series of books to help sooth my waiting for responses anxiety and it has helped me cope. 

Secondly, if it will calm your anxiety, how do you feel about contacting either the departments graduate admissions coordinator or one of your interviewees to ask about a timeline for responses? I know for me, just knowing that I’ll hear back within certain dates helps me to delay the anxiety till those days loom. 

As aspiring academics and PhD students, we have tons of anxiety provoking situations coming our way. Of course, our time before the program would be greatly spent practicing and learning some healthy coping mechanisms. 

The wait is grueling and I know practicing patience is such a struggle! Be gentle with yourself. 

39 minutes ago, substitutemeat2022 said:

Hi there, I can feel you and I am in the exact same position as you. I've been in another country doing my master's for two years since the pandemic and I managed a lot of ups and downs in my academic life. Those experiences are definitely valuable but now I just want to go back home, stay in my comfort zone, and have a short break.

I know it's impossible to say "I CAN 100% FEEL YOU", but I'm with you! It is a hard time for all of us graduate students and especially for international students. I recognize your anxiety and it's okay to feel anxious and simply not okay. Also, regarding the programs, another friend has given you some great suggestions. Hope you can feel better and have some good news soon!

Thanks @marktheonly and @goodbunny for your comments. They really help.

I heard back from my POI at Duke just now. He says they're still reviewing applications and I should expect to hear from the school by next week. But it looks like someone has already been accepted according to the results page?

Edited by substitutemeat2022

6 hours ago, substitutemeat2022 said:

Thanks @marktheonly and @goodbunny for your comments. They really help.

I heard back from my POI at Duke just now. He says they're still reviewing applications and I should expect to hear from the school by next week. But it looks like someone has already been accepted according to the results page?

Are you on the medical anthro track? In that case, results could come out later I guess. I am on the sociocultural track. 

Edited by AAAAAYYYYY

32 minutes ago, AAAAAYYYYY said:

Are you on the medical anthro track? In that case, results could come out later I guess. I am on the sociocultural track. 

I applied to the Cultural Anthropology department but my field is med anthro. If I get in, I will primarily be working with Prof. Solomon who is the only medical anthropologist in the department I think. Do they have a separate med anthro track at Duke?

2 minutes ago, substitutemeat2022 said:

I applied to the Cultural Anthropology department but my field is med anthro. If I get in, I will primarily be working with Prof. Solomon who is the only medical anthropologist in the department I think. Do they have a separate med anthro track at Duke?

I see. In that case I don't know...The professor I have corresponded with said that this year they only have four spots. But seeing the acceptance result popping up today, there might be hope? Good luck!