Fall 2023 Admissions

DeoTank

Thanks for starting this thread and hi everyone! Hope we all have good luck. I applied to Columbia, Cornell, Duke, Harvard, NYU, UCB, UCI, UCLA, UChicago, UM, Pennsylvania, and Yale. Social-culture track. I haven't received anything. Does anyone know anything about these universities? I know Duke and Michigan are doing the interview and I see Cornell accepted one and then no news.

15 minutes ago, Tia_2023 said:

Thanks for starting this thread and hi everyone! Hope we all have good luck. I applied to Columbia, Cornell, Duke, Harvard, NYU, UCB, UCI, UCLA, UChicago, UM, Pennsylvania, and Yale. Social-culture track. I haven't received anything. Does anyone know anything about these universities? I know Duke and Michigan are doing the interview and I see Cornell accepted one and then no news.

I just finished my Duke interview. The questions were mostly the same as those mentioned by @Humeralheadand @TinCanBaby in their responses.

I've applied to UPenn, UCI, UCB, Cornell, and UCLA as well (med anthro/sociocultural). I remember seeing one acceptance from UCB for the joint med anthro program. There were acceptances from Cornell and Harvard as well on the results page.

Best of luck!!

Edit: Just checked my email and I recieved an interview call from UCB for the Joint Program. I thought the acceptances had gone out already. So there's still time. I hope we all have good options to choose from when all this is done! 

Edited by substitutemeat2022

14 minutes ago, Tia_2023 said:

Hi there! Welcome.  I don’t know anything about UC Irvine’s process. UCLA told me they don’t interview so the email we got when we applied is allegedly the info until they start rolling out decisions in February or so I think they said.

i didn’t apply to those other schools:

ucla 

Uc Irvine 

Berkeley 

stanford

usc 

Emory 

brown 

wash u

notre dame 

Penn

1 hour ago, substitutemeat2022 said:

I just finished my Duke interview. The questions were mostly the same as those mentioned by @Humeralheadand @TinCanBaby in their responses.

I've applied to UPenn, UCI, UCB, Cornell, and UCLA as well (med anthro/sociocultural). I remember seeing one acceptance from UCB for the joint med anthro program. There were acceptances from Cornell and Harvard as well on the results page.

Best of luck!!

Edit: Just checked my email and I recieved an interview call from UCB for the Joint Program. I thought the acceptances had gone out already. So there's still time. I hope we all have good options to choose from when all this is done! 

Hi! I was wondering how the interview went for you--I will have mine for Duke on Friday. They said that it's gonna be a 20-min interview and there will be four professors interviewing me. Kind of nervous about it. Thank you! 

50 minutes ago, AAAAAYYYYY said:

Hi! I was wondering how the interview went for you--I will have mine for Duke on Friday. They said that it's gonna be a 20-min interview and there will be four professors interviewing me. Kind of nervous about it. Thank you! 

The format was the same for me. They were pretty strict about keeping time. But we went 10 minutes over. The asked questions about the project based off my SOP and CV. It was quite straightforward but I was very nervous as well. The profs were very kind and encouraging. 

9 hours ago, anxiousanthrogal said:

Hi! I think you might be in the wrong forum, try the life sciences section of grad cafe, you might find fellow applicants there! https://forum.thegradcafe.com/forum/28-life-sciences/. This one is for anthropology.

Also, anyone heard back from NYU about interviews yet? I saw that last year calls went out on the 18th of Jan, and the admissions deadline was 18th Dec - this time it was Dec 1st, so I'm wondering if interviews are out already. Not seeing anything on the results page

still no update from NYU for arch at least...my POI told me they would contact for interviews in late Jan-Early Feb so still hopeful about my chance

1 hour ago, Weeen said:

I’m very confused… can anyone enlighten me?

so the application to the Berkeley-SF joint med anth program is open? UCSF website says it’s closed so I didn’t even apply alas

The application related pages on both university websites said something like - you can apply for the joint program either through the UCB or UCSF website but not both. I didn't how students should make that choice so I wrote to Profs at both places in October. The graduate chair at UCSF said that students should make that choice based on faculty fit. In that email he also said that they accept students "from the UCSF side" of the joint program every other year and they weren't accepting students in this cycle. UCBs application page was open this cycle and my research interests fit best with the people at UCB so that's where I applied. 

22 hours ago, AAAAAYYYYY said:

Saw someone received offer from Yale. Wondering if it's medical anthropology tho... T T

Interesting enough especially coz I contacted the coordinator and she said they hadn’t started sending out the interview invites yet but would start soon…

Hi! 

I am sorry you didn't get it :( 

I also applied to Emory (bio-track) and haven't heard anything. I know someone who got interview invitation last week. Now it's weird I don't have rejection or interview invitation. 

What track did you apply to? 

35 minutes ago, TinCanBaby said:

Claiming first rejection: Emory via email ?

Sorry to hear that @TinCanBaby, at least they got back to you fairly early. But it's still pretty early in the season, so fingers crossed you hear good news soon!

12 minutes ago, VMark said:

Exactly! I still wonder why Yale says they haven’t started interviews yet somebody posts admissions 

And @VMark this may be because some programs separate their applicants into tracks. So bioanth applicants may be on a different schedule than soc/linganth applicants, for example. 

4 minutes ago, Lola_brook said:

Hi! 

I am sorry you didn't get it :( 

I also applied to Emory (bio-track) and haven't heard anything. I know someone who got interview invitation last week. Now it's weird I don't have rejection or interview invitation. 

What track did you apply to? 

I feel like the system is so odd.  And we will never figure it out.  I am a social/cultural track applicant.