Fall 2023 Admissions

DeoTank

I applied to Penn State MCIBS, UCLA, UCSC, Harvard HEB, Vanderbilt and ASU. All Biological Anth/Arch focused. I got the interview response for MCIBS (!!!) already since they are on the biological sciences admissions timeline. Good luck to us all!

Hi y’all! Applied to Yale, UofChicago, NYU, Stanford, Brown, Duke, Northwestern, and UofPennsylvania to sc anthro. Harvard and Princeton Slavic studies, Cornell sociology. Am a current PhD student in education, wanna change to anthro…super anxious and stressed…

Hello everyone! I applied to UToronto, Stanford, UMich, Chicago, Columbia, and Cornell this cycle on the sociocultural/ling anth track. Keeping my fingers crossed that we all hear good news soon! 

On 1/5/2023 at 9:48 PM, himy_95 said:

Hi! I applied to UW Madison and was accepted, and I'm waiting to here from Yale, CUNY, UMass Amherst, UMich, and UTSA. Does anyone know which schools do interviews? I think CUNY does but I'm not sure about the rest...

What I have been doing to get a definitive answer on this is contact the faculty level graduate admissions contact at each school.  They give you a good idea of whether or not this is part of the process.  Now, I think it should be noted that it may be the case that certain POI make it a practice to reach out on their own and I have heard this from mentors.  That they may just up and call you or email. It really varies.

2 hours ago, VMark said:

Hi y’all! Applied to Yale, UofChicago, NYU, Stanford, Brown, Duke, Northwestern, and UofPennsylvania to sc anthro. Harvard and Princeton Slavic studies, Cornell sociology. Am a current PhD student in education, wanna change to anthro…super anxious and stressed…

Good luck!  My work has for a long time hovered between Education and Anthropology.  After trying a round to get into social sciences and ed programs and the recommended ed programs from the AAA group on Anthro and Ed and Childhood and Youth, I decided just to go full on Anthro.  I am anxious.  

1 hour ago, TinCanBaby said:

Good luck!  My work has for a long time hovered between Education and Anthropology.  After trying a round to get into social sciences and ed programs and the recommended ed programs from the AAA group on Anthro and Ed and Childhood and Youth, I decided just to go full on Anthro.  I am anxious.  

Same at my end. Although had a contact with a professor from Yale and was encouraged to apply (same for Northwester), still think it was more general recommendation they’d make to everyone…

Edited by VMark

19 minutes ago, VMark said:

Same at my end. Although had a contact with a professor from Yale and was encouraged to apply (same for Northwester), still think it was more general recommendation they’d make to everyone…

Yeh that part!  I’ve been there before.  Burned by the hope of that email I put all my hopes and wishes on only to realize it was part of the recruitment game.  See app Year 2019. 

4 hours ago, VMark said:

Not necessarily! I think it's good that they encouraged you to apply. It's probably not said to just anyone! 

My PI is on sabbatical next year so she told me straightforward not to apply to her school, as she's one of the only two MedAnthro people here and the other professor's interests don't align with mine. She told me to ask the program director to confirm with my interests, and I got a very clear answer again suggesting me to apply elsewhere. I definitely appreciated it. Saved me tons of work. Sad though that I won't be continuing here. 

At another top school I was considering also gave me a very clear response. The professor I'm hoping to work with is no longer taking any new phds. He sent me a list of his colleagues from a few different depts that he thought might be related to my area. I eventually decided not to apply to this school. 

I'd say take their recommendation to apply as a good sign! 

4 hours ago, TinCanBaby said:

Yeh that part!  I’ve been there before.  Burned by the hope of that email I put all my hopes and wishes on only to realize it was part of the recruitment game.  See app Year 2019. 

48 minutes ago, YTP said:

Not necessarily! I think it's good that they encouraged you to apply. It's probably not said to just anyone! 

My PI is on sabbatical next year so she told me straightforward not to apply to her school, as she's one of the only two MedAnthro people here and the other professor's interests don't align with mine. She told me to ask the program director to confirm with my interests, and I got a very clear answer again suggesting me to apply elsewhere. I definitely appreciated it. Saved me tons of work. Sad though that I won't be continuing here. 

At another top school I was considering also gave me a very clear response. The professor I'm hoping to work with is no longer taking any new phds. He sent me a list of his colleagues from a few different depts that he thought might be related to my area. I eventually decided not to apply to this school. 

Thank you! I will keep my fingers crossed coz of my specific interests there aren't so many professor with the expertise...

1 hour ago, YTP said:

I agree with this.  In 2019, I dealt with one PI discouraging me to apply because they were going on sabbatical and a colleague of theirs encouraging me to and saying they would split me between the two.  It was way more of a mess than I could do Justice here.  Now that I look back it was really about getting numbers to apply by one.

this year, the folks that have encouraged me to apply have seemed more genuinely interested in my work and how it aligns with theirs.  It feels different.  But only having a nightmare to compare it to.

i say take it as a good sign also!

Thanks for starting this thread.  I applied to Chicago, Yale, Brandeis, McGill, Johns Hopkins, UNC Chapel Hill, Dartmouth (EEES), Wayne State, and U of Pittsburgh.  Has anyone been contacted for interviews yet.  Anxiously awaiting!

22 hours ago, SKRoo12 said:

Thanks for starting this thread.  I applied to Chicago, Yale, Brandeis, McGill, Johns Hopkins, UNC Chapel Hill, Dartmouth (EEES), Wayne State, and U of Pittsburgh.  Has anyone been contacted for interviews yet.  Anxiously awaiting!

I have not yet.  Emory contact told me they are not at virtual Interview stage yet as of Saturday.  All other emails have not been answered.

6 hours ago, Riceberry said:

A faculty member from McGill reached out and want to meet with me via Zoom. Not sure if this is an official interview though. She just said she saw my application, would be glad to co-supervise me and wanted to chat to learn more. But regardless, I am assuming this is something positive? 

I feel like that’s moving in the right direction.  So cool! Is McGill a top choice?

It’s a wonderful program for sure! But not a top choice. This has nothing to do with the school itself! Its just that I have been living in Canada since forever. Kinda want a new environment. McGill is kinda like my option to stay (relatively) closer to family, if this makes sense! 

1 hour ago, Riceberry said:

It’s a wonderful program for sure! But not a top choice. This has nothing to do with the school itself! Its just that I have been living in Canada since forever. Kinda want a new environment. McGill is kinda like my option to stay (relatively) closer to family, if this makes sense! 

Ah yes! I see.