Fall 2023 Admissions

DeoTank

9 hours ago, Riceberry said:

A faculty member from McGill reached out and want to meet with me via Zoom. Not sure if this is an official interview though. She just said she saw my application, would be glad to co-supervise me and wanted to chat to learn more. But regardless, I am assuming this is something positive? 

Definitely, Congrats!

On 1/8/2023 at 2:33 AM, VMark said:

Hi y’all! Applied to Yale, UofChicago, NYU, Stanford, Brown, Duke, Northwestern, and UofPennsylvania to sc anthro. Harvard and Princeton Slavic studies, Cornell sociology. Am a current PhD student in education, wanna change to anthro…super anxious and stressed…

I did my Master's in Education! And we got some overlaps (Yale, UChi, NYU, Stanford, Duke, UPenn) of school choices. But I have heard nothing from them...yet

This thread is so helpful. I've been searching for a discussion channel like this all over the web. 

I applied to Rice, Usask, Manitoba and USF. All but Rice (PhD) are for MA programs. However, I'm yet to hear from any of these schools. Did anyone apply to any of these schools?

6 hours ago, YPPPPP said:

I did my Master's in Education! And we got some overlaps (Yale, UChi, NYU, Stanford, Duke, UPenn) of school choices. But I have heard nothing from them...yet

Same at my end. Currently doing PhD in education, proposed researched that better fits anthro - let’s see

17 hours ago, YPPPPP said:

Cool! Glad to have some more folks making the shift over from Ed here.  Wishing us all best of luck in finding the right home for our research

On 1/4/2023 at 2:05 PM, YTP said:

I applied to Stanford, Brown, & Princeton. All for social cultural/MedAnthro. So much anxiety rn. 

Hello, everyone. This is my second cycle of applications. Last year, I had applied to 4 schools and got rejected by all of them. This year, I graduated with a master's and have been preparing my applications for the cycle. I have applied to 11 schools (UCI, UCLA, UCB, UBuffalo, UNC, Cornell, Northwestern, U of Maryland, U of Minnesota, IUB, UT Austin), and intend to submit applications for one more (Brandeis). Socio-cultural track. I am worried, in some schools which had early application deadlines, my writing sample had some grammatical errors. But otherwise, I'm trying to be positive for this cycle. (Also the other side of me is making me believe that I blew up the application due to those grammatical errors lol) I think it is too early too expect responses from schools. Hoping everyone really gets through the best place they want to be in. Fingers crossed, for all of you. Good luck, guys!

13 hours ago, Kankabatir_tirey said:

Hello, everyone. This is my second cycle of applications. Last year, I had applied to 4 schools and got rejected by all of them. This year, I graduated with a master's and have been preparing my applications for the cycle. I have applied to 11 schools (UCI, UCLA, UCB, UBuffalo, UNC, Cornell, Northwestern, U of Maryland, U of Minnesota, IUB, UT Austin), and intend to submit applications for one more (Brandeis). Socio-cultural track. I am worried, in some schools which had early application deadlines, my writing sample had some grammatical errors. But otherwise, I'm trying to be positive for this cycle. (Also the other side of me is making me believe that I blew up the application due to those grammatical errors lol) I think it is too early too expect responses from schools. Hoping everyone really gets through the best place they want to be in. Fingers crossed, for all of you. Good luck, guys!

If I may ask. Who do you intend to work with at Brandeis? 

8 hours ago, Riceberry said:

Anyone applied to Chicago had a heart attack when they send out the email about "application under review". Man, I hate it when universities starts of their email with "Thank you for applying to....."

Makes me feel like its a rejection letter LOL

Yeah, applied there as well. Heard nothing yet.

On 1/12/2023 at 1:41 AM, Kankabatir_tirey said:

Hi @Kankabatir_tirey, I remember you from last cycle! I also struck out last time, so I'm hoping things are better for the both of us this time around.

To be honest, what I've heard from my mentors is that it's very rare that an admissions committee/PI reads your writing sample all the way through, because of the sheer number of applications they have to read. It's more of a rough skim so they can get a general idea of your ability to articulate your research in a cogent manner. So I think you should be good :)

12 hours ago, squidink said:

WashU (mid December, with arch faculty) and Brown (early January, with PI)

That's great! WashU was one of the options I was thinking of applying to and even had contacted a professor there (for archaeology) but ultimately decided not to because there was no guarantee of funding and it is quite expensive

38 minutes ago, DeoTank said:

That's great! WashU was one of the options I was thinking of applying to and even had contacted a professor there (for archaeology) but ultimately decided not to because there was no guarantee of funding and it is quite expensive

WashU guarantees funding for 5 years and you can apply for the 6th year. Could you be thinking of University of Washington?

21 hours ago, weast said:

Hi @Kankabatir_tirey, I remember you from last cycle! I also struck out last time, so I'm hoping things are better for the both of us this time around.

To be honest, what I've heard from my mentors is that it's very rare that an admissions committee/PI reads your writing sample all the way through, because of the sheer number of applications they have to read. It's more of a rough skim so they can get a general idea of your ability to articulate your research in a cogent manner. So I think you should be good :)

Thank you so much @weast!!! I remember you too. Really hoping something good works out for both of us. 

To everyone, I saw two new posts on the results page. Anyone else got any information on Cornell? One person (international applicant) got in. Their result post says 'accepted via phone'. Congratulations to them!! I haven't heard anything from them in a any medium, phone or email or anything. I know this probably could mean a potential reject or waitlist (still keeping hopes high lol) for me, but I'm just curious if anyone else has heard anything from them. 

3 hours ago, Kankabatir_tirey said:

Thank you so much @weast!!! I remember you too. Really hoping something good works out for both of us. 

To everyone, I saw two new posts on the results page. Anyone else got any information on Cornell? One person (international applicant) got in. Their result post says 'accepted via phone'. Congratulations to them!! I haven't heard anything from them in an any medium, phone or email or anything. I know this probably could mean a potential reject or waitlist (still keeping hopes high lol) for me, but I'm just curious if anyone else has heard anything from them. 

Yes I see a lot of results popping up that are international students.  And a sprinkle of US based applicants.  I’m getting anxious.