Fall 2023 Admissions

DeoTank

9 hours ago, fionnbo said:

Curious to hear if anyone has heard from:

• UC Berkeley (sociocultural had an interview with them 1/26 but have not heard anything regarding a reject/acceptance-- so waitlist?)
  • UOregon (radio silence, but unsure if interviews have happened for sociocultural yet)
  • USC (no interview so expecting a reject)

If anyone has any info on timelines that would be great. Just kinda want this cycle to end atp.

For USC, Dr. Lutkehaus informed me that if you haven't been selected for the interview (that took place a week and a half or so) ago, then you haven't been shortlisted for selection 😕 Not sure how long they take to update the portal, but will be a quicker response if you write to her :) Best of luck!

15 minutes ago, TinCanBaby said:

OK well we are doing our Brown visit this weekend and virtual visits are on Monday.  Hopefully folks that lose interest will be kind enough to move on sooner than later.

So exciting! Enjoy :) staying hopefully

On 3/16/2023 at 6:46 AM, TinCanBaby said:

UPenn and UC Irvine and UC Berkeley 👻 

i have not checked the portals but literally no interviews and no emails rejections etc.

Randomly checked the Penn portal today and there was a rejection letter with no letterhead 🤡 dated 3/14/23.

Today I learned from another student at my current university that they received an official rejection from the University of Washington a few weeks ago--around the same time other students posted about acceptances here on GradCafe. I still haven't heard anything from the department even after emailing the graduate coordinator two separate times (a few weeks apart because I didn't want to come across as a dick) and the person I am interested in working with (no response there either). So far I'm rocking three other rejections, so I just really want to know if I will have any options this year. I'm already on my second graduate application cycle, this time with a nearly complete M.A., so I'm really at a loss for what these PhD programs are looking for. Do y'all think that I am waitlisted? Does anyone know another reason why they'd send different applicants letters at different times?

13 hours ago, anthromf said:

Today I learned from another student at my current university that they received an official rejection from the University of Washington a few weeks ago--around the same time other students posted about acceptances here on GradCafe. I still haven't heard anything from the department even after emailing the graduate coordinator two separate times (a few weeks apart because I didn't want to come across as a dick) and the person I am interested in working with (no response there either). So far I'm rocking three other rejections, so I just really want to know if I will have any options this year. I'm already on my second graduate application cycle, this time with a nearly complete M.A., so I'm really at a loss for what these PhD programs are looking for. Do y'all think that I am waitlisted? Does anyone know another reason why they'd send different applicants letters at different times?

That is rough going, so I extend my sympathies. 

If there are any "assistant" graduate coordinators, or some position equivalent to that, maybe email them? I know that was who I was contacted by when I asked about my status at my university, though that department is very large, so I guess the graduate coordinator has a lot to deal with outside of grad apps. Idk about how the Washington dept runs things. I have some unkind thoughts for a graduate coordinator who couldn't be bothered to forward an email to the right place though.

In the meantime, I guess keep checking your portal, refreshing your email (and checking spam/junk folders T_T).

3 hours ago, GradR2D2 said:

That is rough going, so I extend my sympathies. 

If there are any "assistant" graduate coordinators, or some position equivalent to that, maybe email them? I know that was who I was contacted by when I asked about my status at my university, though that department is very large, so I guess the graduate coordinator has a lot to deal with outside of grad apps. Idk about how the Washington dept runs things. I have some unkind thoughts for a graduate coordinator who couldn't be bothered to forward an email to the right place though.

In the meantime, I guess keep checking your portal, refreshing your email (and checking spam/junk folders T_T).

Thank you, I appreciate it. I haven't noticed any other staff roles that seem appropriate to email (although they do have someone whose role is just called "administrator"), so I think my only option would be to move up the ladder and email the chair or more faculty members who may have been on the admissions committee? I assume those folks would be even busier, but at least they might have more information--assuming they email back. I have not had great success with anyone from the department emailing me back when I have reached out (current graduate students, faculty, and staff all seem slow), but you'd think they'd at least have the decency to let students know if/when the department has made a decision about an application. 

But yes, I have been checking the portal and regularly looking in my spam folder. I'm just getting super frustrated that they won't even email me back to let me know what happened with my application. Thank you for responding! 

Is anyone still waiting for NYU or Berkeley (social anth)? Berkeley said they'd have results sent in the 'near future', so I hoped it'd come out this Friday but nothing. I would really love to move on. Very annoying to wait 1 month to just get another rejection ... 

On 3/25/2023 at 7:23 AM, hlsm said:

Is anyone still waiting for NYU or Berkeley (social anth)? Berkeley said they'd have results sent in the 'near future', so I hoped it'd come out this Friday but nothing. I would really love to move on. Very annoying to wait 1 month to just get another rejection ... 

I heard back from NYU with a rejection beginning of last week (I applied for the archaeology track though). Didn't apply to Berkley though so I can't help you there. 

Does anyone know the usual deadlines for students taking a grad school offer in Canada? I know in the United States that April 15th is the standard deadline for graduate school offers, especially if it has funding attached. 

I'm still in waitlist purgatory, which hopefully ends this week, just trying to get some extra context about the process. 

When do you guys think it's ok to start contacting POI again, for fall 2024? (just got my final rejection for fall 2023... yeah !!) would you contact the same? what would you say about not getting in this year? not mentioning it? 

- also, do you think when you got rejected late in the process, or were put on a waitlist, you can ask the dept who was the professor who was interested in working with you so you can contact him directly for next year? any past experience? 

just trying to move on  😐

11 hours ago, hlsm said:

When do you guys think it's ok to start contacting POI again, for fall 2024? (just got my final rejection for fall 2023... yeah !!) would you contact the same? what would you say about not getting in this year? not mentioning it? 

- also, do you think when you got rejected late in the process, or were put on a waitlist, you can ask the dept who was the professor who was interested in working with you so you can contact him directly for next year? any past experience? 

Hi there! From what I understand, you should wait until the fall to contact them specifically about the next application cycle. Otherwise, they may not have you as fresh in their mind when they go to review applications. They also may not know if they'll be able to accept students the next application cycle or not this far out from the admissions cycle. But if the person you want to work with has similar research interests, I would definitely reach out to the same person again! I also think it's totally fine to mention that you have previously applied to work under them; if anything, that shows commitment and continued interest in their research. 

If you do contact potential POIs this spring, I would do so only to ask for feedback about this years application in order to improve next year's application. Some professors seem to be perfectly willing to give this kind of feedback when you ask. You could also tell them that you plan to reach out again in the fall for the next application cycle, but I would definitely follow up with them closer to the application deadline to ensure they are actually taking students the year you apply. 

As for your second question, I think you can ask the graduate coordinator if there was a particular faculty member who was interested in your research if you want to. Worst they can tell you is that they can't reveal confidential details about their admissions committee's decision 🤷‍♂️

But I feel you; I am still on a waitlist for F23 and I have no idea why/what's going on at that university. When I emailed my POI about it, they never responded, so I'm still in this dark for this cycle. I am definitely planning to apply to the same POIs at the same universities next year if this cycle doesn't work out (which I'm expecting at this point).  

On 3/29/2023 at 5:44 AM, hlsm said:

I’ll just add to this with my experience, because I was in that same situation last year.

Immediately after I was rejected, I followed up with the POI to express disappointment (nicely) and let them know I hope to apply again next year and ask if there is anything they think I should focus on to be a stronger applicant. The two people I did this for were very nice and encouraging in response.

Then around Septemeber/October, I reached out again reminding them who I was and my research interests, and letting them know I was still very interested in their research and asking if they plan to accept students this year. And in both cases I was accepted this round! Best of luck, I know how discouraging it can be to have to go through the process a second time!

23 hours ago, F. Q. said:

Anyone who got an offer from Duke would like to share when the deadline is to decide on taking the offer or not? On the waitlist and don’t know what to expect now… would really appreciate any information!

According to the website of Duke graduation, "Fall admission offers are valid until April 15 or within 15 days of the receipt of the admission letter, whichever is later". I'm not sure whether anthro would have its own deadline.

Edited by Tia_2023

8 hours ago, Tia_2023 said:

According to the website of Duke graduation, "Fall admission offers are valid until April 15 or within 15 days of the receipt of the admission letter, whichever is later". I'm not sure whether anthro would have its own deadline.

Very useful info! Thanks a lot!

On 3/17/2023 at 11:14 AM, goodbunny said:

Also on the waitlist boat…I am just praying that people who got into Brown & Duke get into their top choice programs 💗 and make space for some of us waitlisters 🍀

I officially declined Duke's offer earlier this week. Hope good news has/is coming your way!! :)

4 hours ago, xxyyzzz said:

I officially declined Duke's offer earlier this week. Hope good news has/is coming your way!! :)

Thank you for your post! And congratulations on being accepted into the program of your choice! It's excellent news for those of us on the Duke waitlist. I hope they are starting to consider admitting some of us soon.