Fall 2023 PhD Applicant Thread

cuppaon

4 minutes ago, 911806a said:

I am still obsessively refreshing this website and the portals for updates on UCI and UCSD. I know I am likely to be rejected, but I'd just like to know already what is happening. 

Speaking of which, I just checked Irvine and my rejection was there waiting for me ;)

1 minute ago, msjen said:

Speaking of which, I just checked Irvine and my rejection was there waiting for me ;)

Hah! Same! They have answered our pleas, finally! lol A rejection as well

My Teachers College portal now has this "Decisions" tab but nothing else--or was this here all along and I'm just noticing it now??? This is like the Penn "Decided" status with no further details all over again... image.thumb.png.e9303b144c66a7c9f2cd0e53526ecc5a.png

Edited by tep654

2 hours ago, tep654 said:

My Teachers College portal now has this "Decisions" tab but nothing else--or was this here all along and I'm just noticing it now??? This is like the Penn "Decided" status with no further details all over again... image.thumb.png.e9303b144c66a7c9f2cd0e53526ecc5a.png

You'll be hearing from them very soon, then! This is usually how the portal changes right before you get a decision pushed through.

Not relate to your post, but to other posters: I got my rejection from UCI around noon today, too. At least that's over and done with even though all of us who hadn't gotten an interview already knew the outcome of that. . .lol! Waiting for one more decision. . .

Sharing my application status in case this is helpful for those waiting for results:

Acceptances:
- UCLA (PhD in Urban Schooling) - Feb 17th
- Northwestern (PhD in HDSP) - last week
- University of Washington (PhD in Learning Science and Human Development) - last week. Has anyone who got an offer received funding information? 
- Wisconsin-Madison (PhD in Education Policy Studies) - about a month ago

Waiting list:
- USC (PhD in Education)
- TC (PhD in Education and Sociology) 

Rejections:
- Stanford (RILE/SHIPS)
- Michigan Ann Arbor (CPEP)
- NYU (Sociology of Education)

Still waiting:
- Berkeley (PhD in Education). Has anyone heard from them?

On 2/27/2023 at 2:40 AM, joc1989 said:

Sharing my application status in case this is helpful for those waiting for results:

Acceptances:
- University of Washington (PhD in Learning Science and Human Development) - last week. Has anyone who got an offer received funding information? 

Waiting list:
- USC (PhD in Education)

Rejections:
- Stanford (RILE/SHIPS)

Still waiting:

I got nothing on Berkeley PhD. Did you have an interview? A single person has posted about the interview on here in Jan I think. Was that by any chance you?

UCLA and Berkeley portals still show nothing for me :(

I just e-mailed the director of the program at Berkeley because they told me official letters would be sent in "about 2 weeks" on February 8th.

UCLA I am expecting a rejection (HDP program), I just don't know what is taking so long with these two schools.

On 2/26/2023 at 2:40 PM, joc1989 said:

Acceptances:

Waiting list:
- USC (PhD in Education)

Rejections:
- Stanford (RILE/SHIPS)

Still waiting:

I don't know if UW's COE has released acceptance for other tracks. I haven't seen anything posted for Ed Policy, only Learning Science.

23 hours ago, manatee77 said:

Someone on the main page said there was a rejection posted to their UCLA ed portal, but mine still says submitted. Did anyone else get a decision today?

I received my decision (waitlisted) for the UCLA SSCE program last Friday, February 24 via email. My portal still hasn't been updated though. 

10 hours ago, msjen said:

UCLA and Berkeley portals still show nothing for me :(

I just e-mailed the director of the program at Berkeley because they told me official letters would be sent in "about 2 weeks" on February 8th.

UCLA I am expecting a rejection (HDP program), I just don't know what is taking so long with these two schools.

Hi! What a lie on Berkeley's behalf :( Is the program in PhD in Education? And did you get an interview? It has been radio silence for me, no interview, no nothing, so I am trying to figure out if I should even be expecting anything at this point from Berkeley :D 

7 hours ago, Freddie.l said:

Hi! What a lie on Berkeley's behalf :( Is the program in PhD in Education? And did you get an interview? It has been radio silence for me, no interview, no nothing, so I am trying to figure out if I should even be expecting anything at this point from Berkeley :D 

It’s the joint PhD program in Special Education between Berkeley and SFSU. I had several informal interviews because for this specific program they require reaching out to potential advisors before submitting the application, so I spoke to 2 faculty members back in November/December, and the I spoke with the director of the joint program in January. I received the unofficial acceptance from Berkeley grad admissions on February 8th, but I have no clue if other folks have interviews or heard anything…based on this website it seems there are lots of others that haven’t heard anything. 

this was the response I got yesterday:

We should be hearing soon. The Graduate School of Education at Berkeley is going through some changes of their funding models, so this year is taking a little longer than expected. 

hopefully these “changes” are good ones! If there is a bad funding offer after all of this time that would be really upsetting. 

On 3/1/2023 at 1:57 AM, Freddie.l said:

I got nothing on Berkeley PhD. Did you have an interview? A single person has posted about the interview on here in Jan I think. Was that by any chance you?

It was not me, I haven’t heard anything from Berkeley 

I emailed McGill and this was their reply:

At this point we have sent out several offers to PhD applicants. Additional offers may only go out based on whether those who have received an offer accept or decline the offer.

😕

Just received this from Berkeley:

I am writing with some unsettling news. I just heard from the GSE at Berkeley and was told that due to some unexpected changes in their funding model this year, they have placed your recommendation for acceptance onto the waiting list. This means that you will not be hearing about formal acceptance and final package for quite some time, and a spot is not even guaranteed to open. I am sharing this news so that you can make decisions regarding other programs. I will keep you posted as I hear more about this difficult situation. I am very sorry to be delivering this news.

On 1/11/2023 at 8:17 PM, polikilljoy said:

Thank you for starting the thread @cuppaon! I applied to Columbia, NYU, Maryland, Minnesota, Indiana, Pittsburgh, and George Washington. My area is in comparative & international education. I've been accepted to Minnesota. No words from other schools yet. It's nice to connect with people in similar situations here! 

Hey there! I have applied for CIE programs around, some of them being UMD, GW, U of A, and Pitt. I have heard back from UMD (waitlist), GW (rejection after interview - I went here for Masters in the same program), and haven't heard back anything from U of A nor Pitt. Let me know if you have!

1 hour ago, intled said:

Hey there! I have applied for CIE programs around, some of them being UMD, GW, U of A, and Pitt. I have heard back from UMD (waitlist), GW (rejection after interview - I went here for Masters in the same program), and haven't heard back anything from U of A nor Pitt. Let me know if you have!

I had an interview for Pitt back in early February. During the interview, the professors encouraged me to apply for one of their fellowships, but I later declined because I have other offers. I didn't apply to Uof A so I don't know their process. 

When did you interview for GW? I haven't heard anything from them since I submitted my app in mid December.I guess that means soft rejection...?

15 minutes ago, polikilljoy said:

I had an interview for Pitt back in early February. During the interview, the professors encouraged me to apply for one of their fellowships, but I later declined because I have other offers. I didn't apply to Uof A so I don't know their process. 

When did you interview for GW? I haven't heard anything from them since I submitted my app in mid December.I guess that means soft rejection...?

A prominent alum from Pitt wrote a rec letter for me which made me feel confident in my application but haven't heard back so I am starting to give up hope.

For GW, they sent me the interview request mid-Feb and did the interview on the last day of CIES conference. I interviewed with my master's advisor who I wanted to be my doctorate advisor and another faculty member. My master's advisor kind of went harsh on me and a week later(3/1), he sent me the rejection email. They are extremely busy and hence my relationship with all faculties on the admissions committee, I assume my app was one of the first to be reviewed. They said they are sending out offers with funding info all together. I hope you hear back from them soon!

Hi everyone. I applied to the EdD program in ed leadership/policy at the University of Vermont. I was invited to interview on 2/28, did the (virtual) interview on 3/7, and was admitted on 3/12.

The letter says "Additional information will be forthcoming regarding assistantship/financial opportunities."

Hope this helps! Best of luck to everyone.

Edited by adlane75
adding info on assistantship/financial aid