Statement of Purpose

Hello!

After much researching, I've narrowed my search down to 13 schools. I'm thinking I'm going to try to whittle even further to 10--5 in Creative Writing, 5 in Literature. Either way, ALL ask for a SOP.

I'm wondering what are considered strong attributes of a SOP? Aside from the normal (grammar, syntax, sentence structure, word choice), what are elements that should be, at the very least, considered for the SOP? What works, what doesn't work, etc.

Thank you for your time!

Hello!

After much researching, I've narrowed my search down to 13 schools. I'm thinking I'm going to try to whittle even further to 10--5 in Creative Writing, 5 in Literature. Either way, ALL ask for a SOP.

I'm wondering what are considered strong attributes of a SOP? Aside from the normal (grammar, syntax, sentence structure, word choice), what are elements that should be, at the very least, considered for the SOP? What works, what doesn't work, etc.

Thank you for your time!

Of course they all ask for a SOP! How else are they going to know why you're a good fit for their program?

Ask friends who have successfully navigated the application process to see theirs. That's a good start. Essentially, you need to state your focused interest, state your more general subfield, and argue why that program is a perfect fit for the interests you stated in the first part. It's common practice to recycle the first half of your SOP, changing only the last "fit" section. But this applies only to an MA/PhD application. I'm not sure about the MFA standard.

Also, see this thread:

I know nothing about creative writing, but in general an SOP for, shall we say, "academic" (not the right word, I know) subjects contains the following, in some order:

1. what you want to research (specifically; this can change once you're in the program, but for a PhD it should be pretty focused)

2. why you want to research that*, and why you are qualified to (not just a rehash of your resume and transcript)

3. why you want to study it at this particular program (this is the "fit paragraph" that everyone talks about--what professor(s) do you want to work with, what resources does the school have that will help your project, etc)

4. what you want to do with your [name of degree] - for an academic PhD program in the humanities, you should almost ALWAYS say 'research and teach'; programs want to be able to brag about the % of students who get jobs in academia, and you won't be doing yourself any favors by saying straight off, "I will lower that percentage" (public history and the like being exceptions) (other people may disagree with this, but I stand by it)

5. if absolutely necessary, explain any holes in your record or why your lack of a specific qualification doesn't matter

* In general, this means from undergraduate onwards; it's not a great idea to talk about your childhood visits to the aquarium or how you've *always* wanted to study something (unless maybe you're applying to study neo-Platonism and you want to emphasize that you're on board with the preexistence of the soul and the return to the origin...).

I know nothing about creative writing, but in general an SOP for, shall we say, "academic" (not the right word, I know) subjects contains the following, in some order:

1. what you want to research (specifically; this can change once you're in the program, but for a PhD it should be pretty focused)

2. why you want to research that*, and why you are qualified to (not just a rehash of your resume and transcript)

3. why you want to study it at this particular program (this is the "fit paragraph" that everyone talks about--what professor(s) do you want to work with, what resources does the school have that will help your project, etc)

4. what you want to do with your [name of degree] - for an academic PhD program in the humanities, you should almost ALWAYS say 'research and teach'; programs want to be able to brag about the % of students who get jobs in academia, and you won't be doing yourself any favors by saying straight off, "I will lower that percentage" (public history and the like being exceptions) (other people may disagree with this, but I stand by it)

5. if absolutely necessary, explain any holes in your record or why your lack of a specific qualification doesn't matter

* In general, this means from undergraduate onwards; it's not a great idea to talk about your childhood visits to the aquarium or how you've *always* wanted to study something (unless maybe you're applying to study neo-Platonism and you want to emphasize that you're on board with the preexistence of the soul and the return to the origin...).

I second this very strongly (+1) Sparky!

to the OP:

I'm currently working on my SoP for Lit programs (PhD only, pretty much, unless I do end up sending out MA apps as well) - what Sparky said above is pretty much dead on. No cute childhood stories, keep it straightforward, thoughtful, and focused. Don't use TOO much jargon (just enough that you appear knowledgeable), and make sure that you are NOT SUCKING UP. I.e. - I'm applying to Yale. At no point in my SoP do I discuss Yale's prestige as a reason I'm applying there. I do discuss, in great detail, the professors I'm interested in working with, and how their particular research can help mine (and in what aspect), how the facilities (library and colloquium) can further my scholarship, and how their M.Phil in Medieval Studies on route to the PhD is the main reason I'm applying.

And yes. State that you want to teach and research in an academic setting post PhD. Doesn't matter if it's true or not. Just state it, and believe it as you type it B).

I second this very strongly (+1) Sparky!

to the OP:

I'm currently working on my SoP for Lit programs (PhD only, pretty much, unless I do end up sending out MA apps as well) - what Sparky said above is pretty much dead on. No cute childhood stories, keep it straightforward, thoughtful, and focused. Don't use TOO much jargon (just enough that you appear knowledgeable), and make sure that you are NOT SUCKING UP. I.e. - I'm applying to Yale. At no point in my SoP do I discuss Yale's prestige as a reason I'm applying there. I do discuss, in great detail, the professors I'm interested in working with, and how their particular research can help mine (and in what aspect), how the facilities (library and colloquium) can further my scholarship, and how their M.Phil in Medieval Studies on route to the PhD is the main reason I'm applying.

And yes. State that you want to teach and research in an academic setting post PhD. Doesn't matter if it's true or not. Just state it, and believe it as you type it B).

And then, get five thousand people from among your Facebook friends to read and comment, and send it to former professors to tear it to bits. (I'm only exaggerating in terms of the number of people...you want as many eyes on that document as you can get, preferably academic ones).

Speaking of - Bran, have you had a chance to look at my latest revision?

And then, get five thousand people from among your Facebook friends to read and comment, and send it to former professors to tear it to bits. (I'm only exaggerating in terms of the number of people...you want as many eyes on that document as you can get, preferably academic ones).

Speaking of - Bran, have you had a chance to look at my latest revision?

no, I'm at the APs for the holiday - I'll try to get to it on Friday or Saturday - between my own revisions and the essays I have to check for my stupid GRE students who can't seem to fathom how to formulate an argument and what are FACTS (just today, I checked on essay that claimed that Galileo's ground-breaking theory was that the earth was round, and not flat in support of their thesis, while another student stated quite seriously that Gandhi and Martin Luther King Jr. didn't want to point an accusing finger at society and "rock the boat", they "only had a dream they wanted to share with the rest of humankind". hrm. I'm seriously concerned about the level of general education in this country.) My SAT students, however, are doing much better. They have now managed to NOT MAKE ANY ERRONOUS fact writing in support of their argument 2 essays in a row!

no, I'm at the APs for the holiday - I'll try to get to it on Friday or Saturday - between my own revisions and the essays I have to check for my stupid GRE students who can't seem to fathom how to formulate an argument and what are FACTS (just today, I checked on essay that claimed that Galileo's ground-breaking theory was that the earth was round, and not flat in support of their thesis, while another student stated quite seriously that Gandhi and Martin Luther King Jr. didn't want to point an accusing finger at society and "rock the boat", they "only had a dream they wanted to share with the rest of humankind". hrm. I'm seriously concerned about the level of general education in this country.) My SAT students, however, are doing much better. They have now managed to NOT MAKE ANY ERRONOUS fact writing in support of their argument 2 essays in a row!

Aaaaah....! Welcome to ...er...umm...teaching! lol My students pull that crap all the time. I feel for you, though- NOT FUN!! No worries on the SoP - whenever you get to it is fine. :P

+!1 for this. I've never hear #4 though--is this basic practice? I would just assume that they would assume that of course you want to research and teach. But assuming is dangeorus, I know!

+!1 for this. I've never hear #4 though--is this basic practice? I would just assume that they would assume that of course you want to research and teach. But assuming is dangeorus, I know!

FWIW, I definitely said nothing about wanting to teach in my SOP and I was fairly successful. And the wanting to research part came out of my outlining my interests.

Most schools give you a prompt of sorts--a few questions to answer--rather than just saying "Send us a statement of purpose." Usually "what you intend to do after your degree" is one part of the prompt.

Not every school/program does this--actually, where I am right now doesn't, although I included it in my SOP anyway as it led right into a psedo-snappy conclusion--but every other program to which I applied, asked. Check out the applicaion instructions on the website of the department to which you're applying (not just the general grad school page). Incidentally, although my current program didn't require it in the SOP, it was one of the questions they asked us at the interview weekend.

SAT essays don't need to be factual, only well written and cogent. If a student claims Gumbee was the first man on the moon, but uses that fact in a well written and well reasoned essay, he/she cannot be docked for misinformation.

When I taught my SAT class, that was one piece of info the kids loved to hear. Although it usually goes that students who make egregious factual errors will also write crap essays.

Factual accuracy is a must in SoP as the readers will most likely be experts in the field.

Edited by BillyPilgrim

Most schools give you a prompt of sorts--a few questions to answer--rather than just saying "Send us a statement of purpose." Usually "what you intend to do after your degree" is one part of the prompt.

Not every school/program does this--actually, where I am right now doesn't, although I included it in my SOP anyway as it led right into a psedo-snappy conclusion--but every other program to which I applied, asked. Check out the applicaion instructions on the website of the department to which you're applying (not just the general grad school page). Incidentally, although my current program didn't require it in the SOP, it was one of the questions they asked us at the interview weekend.

I've been mostly reading the English dept. application requirements, and it's weird...I don't think I've come across any detailed prompts. I think most of them just tell you to write about your intellectual interests and research experience/questions. I'm definately going to look again more closely though.

• 4 weeks later...

I've been mostly reading the English dept. application requirements, and it's weird...I don't think I've come across any detailed prompts. I think most of them just tell you to write about your intellectual interests and research experience/questions. I'm definately going to look again more closely though.

I haven't seen any prompts either--most just ask the generic "tell us about you and how our department may be the right fit for you" kind of question.

I had another question. I've been teaching freshman comp for 3.5 years now. I was thinking of talking about that in my intro--specifically how I didn't think that teaching was something I'd ever want to do, but took a chance and now I love it--especially at the college level where the instructor-student interaction is more of an exchange of ideas. However, I don't want to teach freshman comp forever, hence the PhD in either Literature or Creative Writing. Second paragraph I would talk about my research interests (19th-21st Century British and American Lit, with a Women/Gender Studies slant OR Fiction/Non-Fiction writing), and how I could benefit from specific programs resources. Lastly I intend to discuss a potential project and how my previous studies have helped me prepare for this challenge. I'm going for a FOCUS, FIT, FUTURE model of SOP. I'm not certain if my description is very clear...

Is this a bad approach? It would, of course, be finessed for the final version.

.I don't think I've come across any detailed prompts. I think most of them just tell you to write about your intellectual interests and research experience/questions.

I haven't seen any prompts either--most just ask the generic "tell us about you and how our department may be the right fit for you" kind of question.

...And in what world are those extra questions not considered "prompts"?

I just meant they don't tell you "Go write us a 500 word statement of purpose, period, end of story." It's "Write a 500 word statement of purpose in which you may want to describe the elements in your academic career that led you to consider Q program, your research plans, your favorite joke, and so forth." That's a prompt.

...And in what world are those extra questions not considered "prompts"?

I just meant they don't tell you "Go write us a 500 word statement of purpose, period, end of story." It's "Write a 500 word statement of purpose in which you may want to describe the elements in your academic career that led you to consider Q program, your research plans, your favorite joke, and so forth." That's a prompt.

I took the original post to mean/imply that specific and highly detailed questions were not asked in the prompt. Rather, all of them seem to be worded some-what loosely and similar manner.

I took the original post to mean/imply that specific and highly detailed questions were not asked in the prompt. Rather, all of them seem to be worded some-what loosely and similar manner.

Gah, I didn't mean to sound so snotty. :unsure: I'm sorry.

To answer my own question, it's a world in which the usual paper topic is something lke "Write 25-30 pages. About something involving the economy. In early modern Europe. Or anywhere else. Or in the Middle Ages." :blink::lol: "Tell us about your intellecutal background" starts to seem pretty specific after a few semesters of that!

FWIW, I definitely said nothing about wanting to teach in my SOP and I was fairly successful. And the wanting to research part came out of my outlining my interests.

Exactly. I actually wouldn't over-emphasize teaching, at least not for this field (where it is assumed that we will go into academia and inevitably teach. Obviously, the job market suggests other realities, but you don't want to go into this on the SoP). Many schools do seem to pay lip service to teach (and actually take their pedagogy seriously), but I think I can safely say that no one ever admitted a PhD candidate on the bases of their teaching skills alone. With very few exceptions, you're being vetted for your research potential and your research potential only. It's assumed that the program will teach you how to teach, whether or not you came up with some teaching skills under your belt.

I wouldn't specifically emphasize research either. It's far more powerful and persuasive to discuss WHAT you'll be researching and the demonstrate through that discussion that you're well equipped to undertake it...rather than to actually state, "I want to research."

I had another question. I've been teaching freshman comp for 3.5 years now. I was thinking of talking about that in my intro--specifically how I didn't think that teaching was something I'd ever want to do, but took a chance and now I love it--especially at the college level where the instructor-student interaction is more of an exchange of ideas. However, I don't want to teach freshman comp forever, hence the PhD in either Literature or Creative Writing. Second paragraph I would talk about my research interests (19th-21st Century British and American Lit, with a Women/Gender Studies slant OR Fiction/Non-Fiction writing), and how I could benefit from specific programs resources. Lastly I intend to discuss a potential project and how my previous studies have helped me prepare for this challenge. I'm going for a FOCUS, FIT, FUTURE model of SOP. I'm not certain if my description is very clear...

Is this a bad approach? It would, of course, be finessed for the final version.

I wrote about how teaching inspired me to want to get a PhD in my first draft and my advisor told me that adcoms don't want to hear warm fuzzy stories of inspiration. I'll second what strokeof midnight said, that you don't need to say "I want to teach and research" because in our field that is expected. Rather, in describing your research interests, it should be evident that you want to continue teaching and that you want to research. I would definitely mention your teaching experience in your SOP, but I would use it as a springboard for other ideas, like "Teaching freshman comp ignited my desire to use multi media in the classroom (or pop lit because it's more relevant to students, or whatever)" instead.

Rather, in describing your research interests, it should be evident that you want to continue teaching and that you want to research. I would definitely mention your teaching experience in your SOP, but I would use it as a springboard for other ideas, like "Teaching freshman comp ignited my desire to use multi media in the classroom (or pop lit because it's more relevant to students, or whatever)" instead.

This. This is more along the lines of what I was thinking...

I have to second and third everyone who says that mentioning teaching in a statement of purpose is pretty much just taking up valuable space that you could be using to discuss something else. In fact, I'm going to be more adamant and unequivocal about it: DON'T MENTION TEACHING and no! especially not in the first paragraph.

Look at it this way: a lot of people get into PhD programs each year without ever having taught. Most people who get into the BEST schools have never taught. Many are fresh out of undergrad or a year or two in the working world. But they get picked up by top programs because of their scholarly potential (writing sample)--not because they have teaching experience, or any other kind of experience for that matter. In fact, I've never heard about anyone getting a second glance from an English lit admissions committee because they founded a non-profit, worked or studied abroad, won an award for being the best high school teacher in town, or worked as a journalist or something. All these things are impressive in their own right, but they don't matter one iota for English lit admissions committees. In fact, I can't think of a single academic field that cares that cares less about your life outside your proposed research, and I have seen wildly successful teachers and professionals get swiftly rejected from all programs because they didn't have a research-focused statement of purpose.

And another point: at most programs, a teaching-free year is a reward. In fact, most really good programs (like the ones on your list) shield their students from teaching in their first year and dissertation year. At a lot of average programs, teaching-free fellowships are a reward for their very best applicants, and TA positions often (sadly) carry less money and a lot less prestige. In academia, teaching is viewed as grunt work. It is not valued as the pursuit of special, exceptional people. It is viewed as something you must do in order to get a job and pay the bills.

In order to be a successful applicant, you must not project the "I want to teach" attitude (even if it's true and, let's face it, a realistic and healthy life goal for an academic). You must be 100% about your research. You must be like "OMG my research is the best on the planet and the reason I get up in the morning and sometimes I forget to eat because I'm just so obsessed with the long 19th century!" Okay, I'm being glib, but you get the idea.

As a sidenote--one thing I noticed about your proposed area of study--"19th-21st Century British and American Lit, with a Women/Gender Studies slant"--is that it seems overly broad. At the graduate level, 19th and 20th century are considered quite different animals and are usually housed in different departmental divisions. Within those centuries are a few different distinct literary movements--romanticism, Victorian lit, modernism, etc. Then there's the genre issue--poetry or fiction? Realistic novel? Gothic novel? Likewise, most people do not specialize in both British AND American literature. And within American literature (which I know much more about) there are also very distinct divisions. Colonial? Antebellum? Postbellum? Post-1945? Graduate school in English lit is all about periodization, or picking a certain time period and knowing everything about it.

I don't know as much about PhD in creative writing statements, but I'm assuming that in those cases you should make your creative work sound like the center of your life. I'm guessing the same no-teaching principle applies, and maybe even moreso. These programs want to enroll the next big-thing writer who will bring prestige and attention to the program, not a great workshop facilitator.

Off to labor some more in the "TA salt mines" ...