MSW FALL 2023!!!

coolbeans93

14 minutes ago, MSW_CO2025 said:

Just got offered admission to the 2 year CSULB program! Just waiting on UCLA and CSUDH; however, CSULB is my top choice.

Congrats!!! Do you mind sharing when you submitted your CSULB app and when it got forwarded to the department?

3 minutes ago, AshleyG said:

Congrats!!! Do you mind sharing when you submitted your CSULB app and when it got forwarded to the department?

Thank you! I submitted my CSULB app on 11/28 and my application was forwarded 12/8. Three long months of waiting, but it finally paid off 😅

I received the following text from UH Manoa this morning:

Attend an Accepted Student Reception and learn more about the next steps of your enrollment process, meet current students, staff, and connect with students from your area headed to UH Manoa in the fall. Follow the link to register:

No other updates or comms from UH regarding admissions, but I'm curious if anyone else received this text or any additional follow-ups from the program

1 minute ago, MSW_CO2025 said:

Thank you! I submitted my CSULB app on 11/28 and my application was forwarded 12/8. Three long months of waiting, but it finally paid off 😅

Thank you for sharing! I submitted mine 11/14 and it was forwarded on 12/14, so hoping to hear a decision soon! Congrats again!!!

12 minutes ago, AshleyG said:

Thank you for sharing! I submitted mine 11/14 and it was forwarded on 12/14, so hoping to hear a decision soon! Congrats again!!!

Yes, you should hear back very soon! CSULB is taking quite a while...I haven't heard of many people hearing back, so hang in there. Thank you and good luck!

54 minutes ago, caseworker12 said:

I emailed Columbia and they said I'd hear back within two weeks. However three weeks ago they told me I would hear back in a week so take that as you will. 

Wow they said we would get a decision by February

Hello everyone! So far I've received acceptances to UNC-CH, UCF, and UNF, and just waiting for USF. Really hope funding works out for UNC 😅. I was super close to applying to UCLA, but backed out last minute...kinda wish I hadn't lol, but since I did live in L.A. for a few years, the cost of tuition and hcol freaked me out a bit. I'm excited about my acceptances but now I'm stressed about securing a new job and apartment before school starts....sigh...

Edited by coolbeans93

On 2/19/2023 at 5:53 PM, prairieking said:

Congratulations! It’s tough to say. They’re my top choices as well, in large part because of the strength of both programs but also because I have family local to both. Since I’m in NYC currently, the comparative cost of living in Chicago is looking pretty good. Just have to get past the weather. :) I think ultimately it’ll come down to aid packages—I definitely have some more thinking to do, and still haven’t heard back from UCLA! What about you? Which one are you most excited about?

Best of luck with UCLA!! I went to UCLA for undergrad (and loved it) and am still in LA so part of me would love to stay in the area but another part of me would love to make the move to Chicago. I think it'll come down to the aid for me as well, though the Chicago winters are also intimidating!! I applied by the Dec 15 deadline for GOFP consideration for UCLA but haven't heard anything from them yet in terms of aid. Are you planning on going to the UChicago admitted students day?

1 hour ago, komorebi7 said:

Best of luck with UCLA!! I went to UCLA for undergrad (and loved it) and am still in LA so part of me would love to stay in the area but another part of me would love to make the move to Chicago. I think it'll come down to the aid for me as well, though the Chicago winters are also intimidating!! I applied by the Dec 15 deadline for GOFP consideration for UCLA but haven't heard anything from them yet in terms of aid. Are you planning on going to the UChicago admitted students day?

The winter will certainly be an adjustment! I’m hoping to go to the admitted students’ day—are you? Maybe we’ll cross paths!

Still no word yet from UCLA on my end despite trying them via email and IG a couple of times. At this point I’m not feeling very optimistic. I also applied by the Dec 15 deadline, and at this point, am just antsy to get an answer (even if it’s not the one I’d like)!

11 hours ago, prairieking said:

Still no word yet from UCLA on my end despite trying them via email and IG a couple of times. At this point I’m not feeling very optimistic. I also applied by the Dec 15 deadline, and at this point, am just antsy to get an answer (even if it’s not the one I’d like)!

Did you apply for the GOFP? I'm pretty sure that UCLA reviews the GOFP applicants first and then moves on to reviewing regular applicants. So even if you applied by the dec 15 deadline, if you didn't apply for the fellowship, then you wouldn't have heard back yet. 

58 minutes ago, futurelcsw23 said:

Did you apply for the GOFP? I'm pretty sure that UCLA reviews the GOFP applicants first and then moves on to reviewing regular applicants. So even if you applied by the dec 15 deadline, if you didn't apply for the fellowship, then you wouldn't have heard back yet. 

I did apply for the GOFP, so fingers crossed it comes in sometime soon. This is helpful context—thanks.

On 2/27/2023 at 12:35 PM, gabyyy01 said:

For those that got accepted into columbia MSW program, do you know when we will be getting our funding package?

On my portal it says awaiting official final transcript with no decision as of yet what does this mean?

On 2/27/2023 at 12:35 PM, gabyyy01 said:

For those that got accepted into columbia MSW program, do you know when we will be getting our funding package?

I emailed them yesterday and they said if you submitted your FAFSA you'll here within the next week.

Still waiting on Columbia, but for those waiting on Hunter: I emailed them yesterday asking for an update on my status, and mentioned that I had some decision deadlines next week that I was hoping to hear by. Later in the afternoon I got my acceptance! I've heard others tell similar stories, so could be worth a shot if you haven't heard yet and it's been more than 6 weeks

Still waiting on Columbia. The associate dean emailed me yesterday without me reaching out to say I would hear back within a week. Honestly, I'm just tired of waiting at this point and I feel like this process has been pretty disorganized. Columbia has been my first choice forever and now I'm wondering if the program is as disorganized as the admissions process has been. 

10 hours ago, cdkh96 said:

Still waiting on Columbia, but for those waiting on Hunter: I emailed them yesterday asking for an update on my status, and mentioned that I had some decision deadlines next week that I was hoping to hear by. Later in the afternoon I got my acceptance! I've heard others tell similar stories, so could be worth a shot if you haven't heard yet and it's been more than 6 weeks

I emailed Hunter on 2/21 and they said I'd hear something "soon". I also have decision deadlines looming so may ping them again tomorrow/early next week, but also don't want to pester them too much :)

On 3/2/2023 at 9:50 AM, cdkh96 said:

Congrats on your acceptance to Hunter! Are they doing interviews? How was your interview? What kind of questions did they ask? Was in in person or on zoom? What was the writing sample about? TIA

3 hours ago, ana2023 said:

Congrats on your acceptance to Hunter! Are they doing interviews? How was your interview? What kind of questions did they ask? Was in in person or on zoom? What was the writing sample about? TIA

Thank you! Unfortunately can't speak to any of that - I just got an acceptance email with no interview. Not sure if they're doing interviews, I know sometimes they don't have candidates do them but no idea the criteria for making that decision.

On 3/6/2023 at 12:08 PM, ana2023 said:

My Hunter application now says "pending interview" so I'm guessing they're doing interviews for some of us!

5 hours ago, cleo23 said:

My Hunter application now says "pending interview" so I'm guessing they're doing interviews for some of us!

As an update, I got an email just now to schedule the interview. It's via Zoom, and the earliest one was next week. Exciting!