MSW FALL 2023!!!

coolbeans93

20 hours ago, eas778 said:

Has anyone heard from Columbia School of Social Work for Fall 2023?

Submitted my application on 12/19, got an email on 2/7 (automated) confirming that everything has been received. When can we expect to hear? Would love to know if anyone has insight :) Thanks

At this point it's the only school I'm waiting to hear back from. I've reached out to them and checked on Twitter and forums and it doesn't seem like anyone has received an answer and there is no information about when they are sending out their decisions. 

3 hours ago, caseworker12 said:

At this point it's the only school I'm waiting to hear back from. I've reached out to them and checked on Twitter and forums and it doesn't seem like anyone has received an answer and there is no information about when they are sending out their decisions. 

Waiting on Hunter and Columbia still. Cannot stop refreshing my inbox hoping something will come in. Hunter responded to an email I sent on Monday and said it typically takes 6 weeks for them to notify after your app is completed, and since mine was complete on 1/1 I should hear "very soon"...

Has anyone heard from Hunter?

On 2/18/2023 at 4:29 AM, prairieking said:

Got into University of Chicago and would love to connect with others who are considering going. I am so excited! Didn’t get into Berkeley, but eagerly awaiting results from UCLA…I’ve been checking my email often since their Instagram post. 

I also got in to UChicago and am waiting to hear back from UCLA - also been anxiously checking my email lol! Those are my top choices. Are you leaning towards one or the other?

4 hours ago, komorebi7 said:

I also got in to UChicago and am waiting to hear back from UCLA - also been anxiously checking my email lol! Those are my top choices. Are you leaning towards one or the other?

Congratulations! It’s tough to say. They’re my top choices as well, in large part because of the strength of both programs but also because I have family local to both. Since I’m in NYC currently, the comparative cost of living in Chicago is looking pretty good. Just have to get past the weather. :) I think ultimately it’ll come down to aid packages—I definitely have some more thinking to do, and still haven’t heard back from UCLA! What about you? Which one are you most excited about?

On 2/16/2023 at 4:46 PM, JSinCA2023 said:

Hey everyone! Just a heads up that UCLA-Luskin posted on their Instagram a few hours ago that they've made their decisions for the MSW class of 2025 and acceptance/rejection emails should be rolling out over the next few days. Sending good luck to all!

Still haven’t heard anything—did you end up hearing back?

3 hours ago, JSinCA2023 said:
7 hours ago, prairieking said:

Not yet and I know quite a few other applicants haven't heard either.... It almost feels like there's an unofficial waitlist.

Have you heard of anyone who has heard back? I'm in an FB group with at least 25 people who applied to UCLA and not a single one has heard anything. I'm starting to think that announcement was premature haha 

Got into UMich MSW Program with a competitive funding offer and WVU's MSW Program! 

Make sure you advocate for yourself in UMich SSW funding. You can ask for funding reconsiderations. That might apply to more schools than Michigan.. 

No word from Columbia, though! 

Good luck everyone!

Edited by Valar_Morghulis

2 hours ago, futurelcsw23 said:

Have you heard of anyone who has heard back? I'm in an FB group with at least 25 people who applied to UCLA and not a single one has heard anything. I'm starting to think that announcement was premature haha 

I haven't heard of anyone hearing back, but a brave soul commented on the Instagram post and was told that emails will continue going out over the next two weeks.

On 2/22/2023 at 10:21 PM, Valar_Morghulis said:

Got into UMich MSW Program with a competitive funding offer and WVU's MSW Program! 

Make sure you advocate for yourself in UMich SSW funding. You can ask for funding reconsiderations. That might apply to more schools than Michigan.. 

No word from Columbia, though! 

Good luck everyone!

Hi there! Congrats on your acceptances and scholarships! I got into University of Michigan as well, but not much funding... if you don't mind sharing, who did you reach out to to reconsider your funding, and how did you phrase it?

4 hours ago, abigailme said:

Hi there! Congrats on your acceptances and scholarships! I got into University of Michigan as well, but not much funding... if you don't mind sharing, who did you reach out to to reconsider your funding, and how did you phrase it?

Thank you! Pretty exciting to be accepted to Michigan. 

So, the re-consideration process at UMich SSW requires obtaining the official re-consideration form. You have to complete that, along with a five page essay. If you reach out to someone at the SSW financial aid office, they should be able to email you the form. The way I worded it was just in a tone of gratitude for the aid they offered, but that I still had some financial concerns about my ability to attend (the tuition is pretty expensive as an out-of-state student). Once I submitted my form and essay, they got back to me pretty quickly with a new offer.

UMich SSW Financial Aid

Phone: (734) 936-0961

Email: ssw.finaid@umich.edu

https://ssw.umich.edu/programs/msw/financial-aid

It was also highly recommended to me that I apply for one of the special programs. I'd ask about signing up for those special programs before submitting the reconsideration form. The form will ask several questions about avenues you've already explored for more funding, including special programs. Just looks better if you've checked some of those boxes already. More info at: https://ssw.umich.edu/admissions/msw/financial-aid/special-programs

It appears that a majority of the funding goes to students involved in these programs.

Good luck!!

Edited by Valar_Morghulis