MSW FALL 2023!!!

coolbeans93

On 3/8/2023 at 8:57 AM, mentalhygiene said:

I applied to MSW at SF State and to the Social Welfare program at Berkeley (rejected). Anyone else apply to the MSW program at SF State? 

I applied to Berkeley (waitlisted) and SF State as well and the wait has been brutal! Any idea when we're likely to hear back?

18 minutes ago, pumpkin pie said:

I applied to Berkeley (waitlisted) and SF State as well and the wait has been brutal! Any idea when we're likely to hear back?

I actually emailed SF State social work department and they told me that the first admit offers for MSW 2023 already went out- and they are now creating a waitlist- we should hear by the end of this week 😕

6 hours ago, pumpkin pie said:

Hi, I applied to SFSU and SJSU Virtual Advanced Standing! Got accepted into SFSU on 02/21 and had an SJSU writing exam/interview in early March but have not heard back. 

Good luck — keeping fingers crossed for y’all.

4 hours ago, frozenmoonsakura said:

@bayareamswgeri Congrats on your acceptance into SFSU! That's amazing! I hope that things work out in your favor for SJ State 🤞

Thank you! I’m definitely leaning more towards SFSU due to cost and credential opportunities. 

But seriously am wishing everyone the best 🙂🤞🏽🍀 You guys are all incredible applicants, I’m sure! 

On 3/13/2023 at 8:02 PM, bayareamswgeri said:

Thank you! I’m definitely leaning more towards SFSU due to cost and credential opportunities. 

But seriously am wishing everyone the best 🙂🤞🏽🍀 You guys are all incredible applicants, I’m sure! 

Heard back from SJSU. Portal status changed to “Accepted - Provisionally Classified” on 03/14 but doesn’t specify program type. I believe they’re rolling out in waves until end of May! 🙂

Cheers!

Edited by bayareamswgeri

Hello all! I just received a notification that I am on the waitlist for SF State. It seems there are two waitlists for consideration: the regular waitlist in which you may be offered a spot based on whether an admitted student declines their offer, and a last-minute waitlist where SF State will let you know as late as late August whether you can be admitted. I am keeping my fingers crossed for you all! I know there are so many mixed emotions that come with admissions decisions. 

Edited by frozenmoonsakura
typo

Yes, I also just got an email from SF State regarding both waitlists! It is interesting that they have a secondary last-minute waitlist for those who opt-in. I've gone ahead and confirmed my spot as I truly do want to practice in the Bay Area and think it would be an incredible opportunity. Good luck to the those who are waiting as well, not just for SF State, but other schools! And congrats to those who have received an acceptance letter already. 🙂

Hi all. I was admitted to the University of Illinois in-person MSW program last month & recently got the official acceptance email through the graduate college. I'm currently a student there but in the psych program, so I'll actually be starting this summer with a couple of required prereqs. Wishing the best of luck to everyone who is still waiting on a decision!

On 3/8/2023 at 7:05 AM, cleo23 said:

As an update, I got an email just now to schedule the interview. It's via Zoom, and the earliest one was next week. Exciting!

Hi! I also got an interview invitation. Have you finished your interview? What kind of questions did they ask? I am nervous about the writing sample...😭

On 3/20/2023 at 6:38 AM, el ah said:

Hi! I also got an interview invitation. Have you finished your interview? What kind of questions did they ask? I am nervous about the writing sample...😭

Hi there - the Hunter interview was fairly relaxed, and the questions were similar to those listed in threads from previous years (why social work, what kinds of populations would you like to and not like to work with, etc). I found the writing sample exercise to be more challenging than expected - the article we read was pretty dense - but it was also fine and I have no idea how they grade it.  I got in shortly afterward!

14 hours ago, cleo23 said:

Hi there - the Hunter interview was fairly relaxed, and the questions were similar to those listed in threads from previous years (why social work, what kinds of populations would you like to and not like to work with, etc). I found the writing sample exercise to be more challenging than expected - the article we read was pretty dense - but it was also fine and I have no idea how they grade it.  I got in shortly afterward!

Thank you very much!!! May I ask what the writing sample is about? Also, if you don't mind me asking, did you dress up for this interview? I'm feeling a bit anxious since I'm an international student and I tend to get more nervous when speaking in a language that's not my first, especially when dealing with dense articles.

1 hour ago, el ah said:

Thank you very much!!! May I ask what the writing sample is about? Also, if you don't mind me asking, did you dress up for this interview? I'm feeling a bit anxious since I'm an international student and I tend to get more nervous when speaking in a language that's not my first, especially when dealing with dense articles.

I don't remember exactly what the sample was about, but I'd expect a social work related topic (to clarify, I was more surprised by the length of the article, but it was certainly doable!). The interviewer gave us some context and instructions on exactly what they wanted us to do in the sample, which was really helpful.  And don't worry, you don't have to talk about the article in the interview, it's just a written exercise you do on your own :)  Good luck, I'm sure you'll do great!

20 hours ago, cleo23 said:

I don't remember exactly what the sample was about, but I'd expect a social work related topic (to clarify, I was more surprised by the length of the article, but it was certainly doable!). The interviewer gave us some context and instructions on exactly what they wanted us to do in the sample, which was really helpful.  And don't worry, you don't have to talk about the article in the interview, it's just a written exercise you do on your own :)  Good luck, I'm sure you'll do great!

Thank you!! Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats to everyone who has heard back and gotten accepted! If anyone is new here or planning to apply soon I recommend the FB group for MSW applicants, there's a few hundred people in the group who have all recently applied. It's a great place to connect and there's a lot of resources/toolkits to help with your personal statement and the application process. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey all! Not sure if this is the right place to post this but I'm currently trying to decide between the Clinical MSW programs at UNC or UT Austin. Does anyone have any thoughts on these programs to help me decide? I want to eventually work in therapy and human sexuality and plan on going back to school at some point. I have been out of academia for a while and am so torn between the two!!!! 

Hey @awmsw3338, I am not too familiar with Austin's program. I attended one of their info sessions Fall semester, and that was the extent of my search lol. However, I was accepted into the UNC-CH program and plan on attending. I was interested in the program initially because one of my co-workers attended (she graduated this semester). She has had a positive experience and from what I've learned, academic advisors can tailor your classes to the requirements you're trying to fulfill. If you haven't, I would recommend attending information sessions for the schools you're interested in.  I would definitely look at the starting salaries for each state, col, etc. It's definitely a tough decision, but I am hoping you can decide what's best for you. ❤️