Results 2023

Slurricane

10 hours ago, GradStudent987 said:

I've been officially rejected by CUNY and CU Boulder, waitlisted by UofA, and accepted by Purdue since I last posted. That's 2a/4w/5r/10p counting only official results, 2a/4w/9r/6p counting presumed rejections (i.e. schools from whom I haven't heard but who have already accepted and waitlisted several applicants). 

Looks like I won't get an offer from Notre Dame at this point. I'm really holding out hope that I'll end up on the waitlist. Notre Dame is my first choice by, like, a thousand miles.

did you solicit from CUNY? Thanks

On 3/4/2023 at 7:47 AM, Gitbashed said:

I AM ELATED, EVERYTHING IS AWESOME. Accepted at UMass Amherst, AND Western Ontario!

WOW, two in a day! Congratulations.

I was just waitlisted by UMass last night, so maybe we'll end up being classmates. 

On that subject: I'm now on five waitlists. I went ahead and took April 15 off work. 😂

2a/5w/9r/5p

5 waitlists! How incredibly stressful. I was just waitlisted at Boulder. I'm not too fond of uncertainty. Are you hanging in there?

On 3/5/2023 at 12:34 PM, GradStudent987 said:

WOW, two in a day! Congratulations.

I was just waitlisted by UMass last night, so maybe we'll end up being classmates. 

On that subject: I'm now on five waitlists. I went ahead and took April 15 off work. 😂

2a/5w/9r/5p

9 hours ago, Gitbashed said:

5 waitlists! How incredibly stressful. I was just waitlisted at Boulder. I'm not too fond of uncertainty. Are you hanging in there?

On 3/5/2023 at 12:34 PM, GradStudent987 said:

I'm doing better now than I was a couple weeks ago; at least now I'm only uncertain about 5 programs, rather than 22. But I'm not looking forward to the next month. I was really hoping my options would be settled by now.

On the bright side, I now find myself animated by rage at all the elite departments that rejected me, and I am hyper-motivated to prove to every one of them that they made the wrong decision. (Of course, even if they did make the wrong decision, they'll never realize this, since they won't remember rejecting me. But I'm going to suppress this belief in service of the aforementioned rage-fueled publishing spree for as long as I possibly can.) So writing philosophy is becoming easy again.

anyone who was accepted or waitlisted at michigan state, what are your feelings? 

msu is my top choice by FAR and waiting on the waitlist is absolutely killing me. if youre leaning towards accepting or rejecting or withdrawing from the waitlist.... dont be shy, let me know 🥲🤪😎 even better let the department know 👀

Well, I had thought I bombed the interview but I guess not... Accepted at UC Irvine LPS. I don't really see a reality where I won't be accepting their offer. I'm going to give myself a few more days to get all the info from each program I was seriously considering, but I have started declining acceptances and waitlists from places I'm sure I will not be attending now.

It has been a wild ride and I haven't fully processed the acceptance. Any idea when that goes away?

Anyone else still waiting on Maryland? I saw a rejection posted awhile back on the results board but nothing else. Assuming a very likely rejection given how late it is, but curious if anyone else is waiting or has heard back.

I did reach out to the dept coordinator yesterday morning but haven't gotten a response yet.

On 3/22/2023 at 9:57 AM, playfulghost said:

Anyone else still waiting on Maryland? I saw a rejection posted awhile back on the results board but nothing else. Assuming a very likely rejection given how late it is, but curious if anyone else is waiting or has heard back.

I did reach out to the dept coordinator yesterday morning but haven't gotten a response yet.

Heard back at least. An acceptance would've been surprising!  But the email was.... a lot?

Unfortunately, I have to convey the news that we cannot offer you a place in this year’s incoming cohort of graduate students.

Let me emphasize that this year we had a particularly strong field of applicants. As a result, we had to make many difficult decisions. But we did enjoy going through many of the applications that we didn't select, and we believe that there are many talented applicants that we are unable to admit for reasons of space.

We wish you best of luck in your future pursuits, and we thank you for considering our department.

I mean I'm glad they enjoyed going through many of the applications! And that they think at least some of those people are talented! That's encouraging at least, right?  :)

Anyway, onward. That wraps it up for me this cycle, best of luck to all you good people. Don't let the bastards grind you down and be kind, always.

Well, after 9 rejections and 1 waitlist (Syracuse) I'm still waiting to hear from UC Riverside. I guess I shouldn't get my hopes up right?

The good news is that I'm high on the waitlist at Syracuse so they think it's likely I'll receive an offer.

Does anyone actually receive offers from UCR at this stage?

Whelp, I guess it's time for the final tally:

Accepted: Purdue, Ohio State

Waitlisted: UVa, UW Madison, UofA, UMass, WashU STL, Notre Dame

Rejected: Harvard, Yale, Princeton, UPitt, CU Boulder, UT Austin, MIT, Michigan, CUNY, NYU

Ghosted: Rutgers, FSU, SLU

I'm gunning for Notre Dame so. freaking. hard. They sent me a SIGNED REJECTION LETTER two weeks ago but then RESURRECTED ME to the waitlist. They said someone "made a mistake when entering offers." The waitlist is long so my odds are slim, but I'm clinging to hope. Notre Dame has been my first choice since the cycle began. 

Although Purdue is ranked the lowest of any of these schools, I've spoken to some professors and students there, and I'm really impressed with what I've heard. Their faculty has also apparently doubled in size in the last two years, and they're bringing in some fantastic new talent this year. So I expect they'll rank higher in the next PGR. Hope that's helpful if anyone else is considering an offer from them!

38 minutes ago, GradStudent987 said:

Whelp, I guess it's time for the final tally:

Accepted: Purdue, Ohio State

Waitlisted: UVa, UW Madison, UofA, UMass, WashU STL, Notre Dame

Rejected: Harvard, Yale, Princeton, UPitt, CU Boulder, UT Austin, MIT, Michigan, CUNY, NYU

Ghosted: Rutgers, FSU, SLU

I'm gunning for Notre Dame so. freaking. hard. They sent me a SIGNED REJECTION LETTER two weeks ago but then RESURRECTED ME to the waitlist. They said someone "made a mistake when entering offers." The waitlist is long so my odds are slim, but I'm clinging to hope. Notre Dame has been my first choice since the cycle began. 

Although Purdue is ranked the lowest of any of these schools, I've spoken to some professors and students there, and I'm really impressed with what I've heard. Their faculty has also apparently doubled in size in the last two years, and they're bringing in some fantastic new talent this year. So I expect they'll rank higher in the next PGR. Hope that's helpful if anyone else is considering an offer from them!

Ghosted? That's a new category for me!

If you do't get into ND, my vote is that you go to Purdue!

2 hours ago, steadygaze108 said:

Ghosted? That's a new category for me!

If you do't get into ND, my vote is that you go to Purdue!

Haha, I mean they haven't sent any updates, despite solicitation. (It's possible I'm on a hidden waitlist at those schools, but more likely they just skipped over me when sending out rejections.)