MPH Programs in Canada

MPH_hopeful

Awesome! Other future public health people! I wish I'd found this forum a few months ago.

It looks like some of you guys applied to U of T's program. I'm wondering how many of you have heard something ... anything. I applied to the health promotion stream with a focus in global health (so popular), but I'm still waiting. They website suggests that we should have a written answer by June 1st, so that would mean the decision should be made by now (May 13th), and yet the website still says that my file is under review...?

Do they wait until the last minute to send out the rejection letters? Or am I likely on a wait list? At this point I'm assuming that I did not get in and I am probably going to accept the offer I got from the University of Montreal, but I'm still carrying hope that I may have been accepted to U of T (the program is more appropriate to my interests and it's in English!).

Also, anyone know what the acceptance rates are for U of T? Just curious.

Anyone here going to U of Montreal this Fall?

Salut! When I was wait-listed for UofT's (Epi) MPH, they emailed me and stated they admit roughly 1/10 across their departments (with epi and health promotion being the most competitive). This is in line with other schools; McGill was about 1/15 and UBC 1/12 this year for MPH programs. From what I understand if you've been waitlisted they would have emailed you, although it's possible that you're still in the running and that the waitlist moved a lot this year (which would delay rejection letters since they don't want to reject people they might end up taking last minute) - so don't lose hope:)

As for me, I've accepted McGill's offer yesterday and will be attending this fall. Good luck to everyone and thank you for your advice!

Congratulations dr.p!

Salut! When I was wait-listed for UofT's (Epi) MPH, they emailed me and stated they admit roughly 1/10 across their departments (with epi and health promotion being the most competitive). This is in line with other schools; McGill was about 1/15 and UBC 1/12 this year for MPH programs. From what I understand if you've been waitlisted they would have emailed you, although it's possible that you're still in the running and that the waitlist moved a lot this year (which would delay rejection letters since they don't want to reject people they might end up taking last minute) - so don't lose hope:)

As for me, I've accepted McGill's offer yesterday and will be attending this fall. Good luck to everyone and thank you for your advice!

Salut et félicitations!

Thanks for the information and the encouragement. I guess being on a possible wait-wait list is better than being rejected off-hand! ;)

• 2 weeks later...

They are two very different paths. What's holding you back from going for MPH or Pharm?

Hey everyone!

So I am currently in UofT Occupational Health MPH and might have to choose between that and Waterloo Pharmacy.

Which one?!?!

Job prospects for pharmacy seems better, but I like ph slightly more than pharmacy. I still like both a lot though.

I would actually disagree. I think public health has more opportunities for leadership work and influencing policy changes and has way more room for career expansion after you work a couple of years. Pharmacy is a Bachelors degree (versus Masters), more expensive, takes longer to complete, and from recent provincial budget cuts for generic drugs (don't know the details), job prospects are at the whim of the provincial legislation. Many of my pharmacy friends were left struggling for work last summer.

I think you answered your own question... that you like ph slightly more than pharm.. In my opinion, I'd pick ph over pharm mainly because ph encompasses many aspects of healthcare.. pharmacy is more specific and like pearl421 said, job prospects aren't as great as what it may seem to be.. especially if you want to start your own business.. it's more difficult nowadays with large companies such as shoppers or rexall dominating the market. Also, I feel that being a pharmacist, the work is quite repetitive.. and not much room for career growth unless you pursue working for a pharmaceutical company and work your way up from there.

On the other hand ph is quite flexible and transferable in many areas of healthcare.. so i don't think there would be a problem with job prospects.. what you do 5 years from now in ph will probably be different in 10 years, which is why I find ph a good field for me to go into (different challenges and less routine/repetitive work and possibly have a larger impact on the population/society).. I feel that as a pharmacist... what you do after school will pretty much be the same 5 years from now... and 10 years from now... but of course, pharmacy is a rewarding career, especially if you enjoy the patient interaction..

let us know what you decide!

Job prospects for pharmacy seems better, but I like ph slightly more than pharmacy. I still like both a lot though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Going to be applying to U Vic for MPH in Indigenous Peoples’ Health to (hopefully) start in Fall 2012! I'm quite nervous. I have work experience in public health with First Nations communities and graduated with great distinction. Kinda worried about having to ask a prof to fill out an assessment report. I finished undergrad 3 years ago...not sure if my profs will remember me. I'm new to the forum, but I thought I'd share! Any other U Vic hopefuls?

Edited by mistymints1

I realize that this is an English forum so many of you didn't even consider applying to Université de Montréal. I decided on U de M because as a Quebec resident tuition is super cheap and as a self-identifying anglo it should bring my french up to a level that I'll be able to work in both languages. Aside from the school website, information about the program is hard to come by. The program itself looks great on paper but I'd love to know if anyone has any first hand accounts of what to expect...or even just how many people were accepted.

Cheers!

Hi everyone,

I've been on this forum since last year, but haven't checked in a long while... just came on today to see where others have been accepted/reactions etc.

This is my second year applying to MPH programs in Canada, so for those of you who were waitlisted this year - don't give up! I was waitlisted last year and it was incredibly frustrating, especially since some schools (*ahem* SFU) take such a long time to get back to applicants.

But this year I was accepted! Hurray! So I'll be seeing some of you in September, and hopefully some of you who are going to other schools, further down the line.

I have messaged D0M and sfu4mph on a private thread, but if anyone else is going to SFU and I missed you, please msg me also!

Congrats!

<br />Hi everyone,<br /><br />I've been on this forum since last year, but haven't checked in a long while... just came on today to see where others have been accepted/reactions etc.<br /><br />This is my second year applying to MPH programs in Canada, so for those of you who were waitlisted this year - don't give up! I was waitlisted last year and it was incredibly frustrating, especially since some schools (*ahem* SFU) take such a long time to get back to applicants.<br /><br />But this year I was accepted! Hurray! So I'll be seeing some of you in September, and hopefully some of you who are going to other schools, further down the line.<br />I have messaged D0M and sfu4mph on a private thread, but if anyone else is going to SFU and I missed you, please msg me also!<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Thanks!

And good luck with your application - I have many friends that go to UVic (grad and undergrad both) who LOVE the school. It is small, but that certainly has advantages too. I love their campus...

Hey fellow SFUers! We'll see you all next year :)

Hi everyone,

I've been on this forum since last year, but haven't checked in a long while... just came on today to see where others have been accepted/reactions etc.

This is my second year applying to MPH programs in Canada, so for those of you who were waitlisted this year - don't give up! I was waitlisted last year and it was incredibly frustrating, especially since some schools (*ahem* SFU) take such a long time to get back to applicants.

But this year I was accepted! Hurray! So I'll be seeing some of you in September, and hopefully some of you who are going to other schools, further down the line.

I have messaged D0M and sfu4mph on a private thread, but if anyone else is going to SFU and I missed you, please msg me also!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Folks,

I'm going to introduce some Canadian content into this discussion board. I am interested (and intending) in applying to MPH programs in Canada. I have selected two so far, the MPH program @ U of T (University of Toronto) and the MPH program @ Waterloo.

My preference is to pursue take the Waterloo programs as it is primarily offered on-line, allowing those with families, mortgages and car payments (like myself) to work while obtaining a second degree.

However, I was given some pause today after reading that the MPH program at U of T is much better than the Waterloo program, but there was no substantial indication why the U of T program is better. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

U of S- In saskatoon is a good school for mph too. Although not an exciting or bubbling city like Toronto. But the School is great.

Application process is fairly easy too.. Click here to read about appication process by a successful student and other information.

• 3 weeks later...

I just came across the topic -- and super glad to have found it. So, I've been waitlisted for the MPH OEH program at U of T (got the email in April) for some time now. I mean, I don't think I'm getting in at any rate, but does anyone know when they'll be sending out official rejection letters? I mean, I don't want to keep thinking about them if they're not going to take me.

I got into the MPH program at U of Guelph. Its pretty broad-based, with a new animal health perspective to it (since it's under the Veterinary School faculty/division). I mean, I like the courses offered and I like a small town feel (I've been at UofT for too long). I know they're fairly new but does anyone have any more info on it? I mean I'm likely going to take it as I want to do public health and prestige or no prestige, I'm going to take a school that I like, but I'd like to learn more about it since so little is offered on any of the Guelph program sites.

Anyone here choose UGuelph's MPH?

• 2 months later...

Hi I am applying at various institutions for MPH program for next year. I am particularly looking at SFU since I've heard good things about it and its the most convenient university for me. For people that got into SFU, do you have any tips that you would like to share with people applying this year. Anything in the application procedure or volunteer work experience that could be an asset? Thank you.

Edited by mphprogramsfu

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to put some more information out there about the Queen MPH program because there isn't alot of info because it is so new (currently in its third year). I am currently in the program.

In term of being accepted this year there were over 400 applications and 30 students were accepted, I think this is quickly becoming the norm for a lot of schools because MPH's are becoming very popular.

The practicum is unpaid which is unfortunate but the jobs that you can do are great opportunities and you don't need to interview for them simply select what interests you (there are international opportunities too and some finding is offered with respect to travel expenses).

The program is challenging (think of the learning curve from high school to university) so don't think that it is going to be a break, also there is alot of class time (labs, tutorials, skills training).

You have access to your own little lounge and a room full of study cubicles, very convenient and great place to meet up with friends to work on assignments.

Kingston is a great town for students and amazing community feel. The MPH program also tries to foster this sense of community, everyone working together, no stress over competing against one another.

Despite the fact that the program is hard, you will learn a lot. This program is quite focused on the Epi side and you will have a strong biostatistics background once you are finished. They are also increasing the number of electives offered.

Because this program is new there are still little bugs that need to be fixed but they are working on it and hopefully some of them will be solved before the next cohort enters.

Goodluck if you decide to enter!

Hi Zarc,

Firstly, Congrats on getting into the program at last! I hope you are enjoying it.

Just a quick question. What was the difference between your first application and your second? Do you have any tips for me as I plan to apply for this coming cycle. Also, i hope you don't mind me asking: What was your undergrad GPA? What was your degree in? What extra curricular activities did you take part in? Do you have any advice for letter so intent and interview process? Thank you so much! Any advice would be helpful!

If anyone else is reading this..please also share your experience :)

Hi everyone,

• 2 months later...

I just came across the topic -- and super glad to have found it. So, I've been waitlisted for the MPH OEH program at U of T (got the email in April) for some time now. I mean, I don't think I'm getting in at any rate, but does anyone know when they'll be sending out official rejection letters? I mean, I don't want to keep thinking about them if they're not going to take me.

I got into the MPH program at U of Guelph. Its pretty broad-based, with a new animal health perspective to it (since it's under the Veterinary School faculty/division). I mean, I like the courses offered and I like a small town feel (I've been at UofT for too long). I know they're fairly new but does anyone have any more info on it? I mean I'm likely going to take it as I want to do public health and prestige or no prestige, I'm going to take a school that I like, but I'd like to learn more about it since so little is offered on any of the Guelph program sites.

Anyone here choose UGuelph's MPH?

Hi ette,

I'm considering applying to Guelph's MPH program for Fall 2012, and have not found out much information about it (outside of the department's website). I'm curious as to how you're finding the MPH program at Guelph? Do you feel like it's providing a solid foundation for you to build a career on?

Thanks!