I/O Applicants 2011

CSJ

Sorry! wow... i wish i had a 1500+ ... i only had a 1320 sadly..

also i got a 640 on my psych gre

and i will have had 2 solid years of psychology research experience prior to matriculation (if i get in!) and about 1.5 yrs combined of additional prior research experience (part-time work while in college)

i also recently had 2 posters accepted for presentation at a psychology conference in the spring. and two papers in the works... i'm hoping the posters and papers will somewhat make up for my less than stellar gpa and mediocre gre scores

I'm confused with your GRE score

Sorry! wow... i wish i had a 1500+ ... i only had a 1320 sadly..

also i got a 640 on my psych gre

and i will have had 2 solid years of psychology research experience prior to matriculation (if i get in!) and about 1.5 yrs combined of additional prior research experience (part-time work while in college)

i also recently had 2 posters accepted for presentation at a psychology conference in the spring. and two papers in the works... i'm hoping the posters and papers will somewhat make up for my less than stellar gpa and mediocre gre scores

Are the two poster presentations going to be published? If so, it will make make your case more convincing. However, I agree with you that you should retake the general GRE because the AW low (PhD programs look for 5-6s although i'm sure there are exceptions depending on scenario)

Is it time to be hearing back from schools? I applied to an I/O program and this field seems to be taking the longest to get back to applicants

It depends on the school and when they can get all the faculty together. I think the majority make their first round decisions in late January or early February. However, you could go a pretty long if you are on the waitlist. There were a couple of schools I did not hear from until after April 16th and one I never heard from period.

1) does I/O programs do interviews?

2) I applied to

Central Michigan

Akron

Bowling Green

Wayne State

Michigan State

GRE: 1320 (720/600)

GPA: 3.5

2 research labs, 3 yrs of experience

1 talk at a undergrad cognitive science conference

1 poster at judgment and decision making society annual conference

not a lot of direct experience with I/O but I think my research experience makes up for that

also for the January deadlines, when are we expected to hear back? I heard back from CMU saying "final decision will be made in 2-4 weeks"...

1) does I/O programs do interviews?

2) I applied to

Central Michigan

Akron

Bowling Green

Wayne State

Michigan State

GRE: 1320 (720/600)

GPA: 3.5

2 research labs, 3 yrs of experience

1 talk at a undergrad cognitive science conference

1 poster at judgment and decision making society annual conference

not a lot of direct experience with I/O but I think my research experience makes up for that

also for the January deadlines, when are we expected to hear back? I heard back from CMU saying "final decision will be made in 2-4 weeks"...

1. Not that I am aware of. Although some are considering at least phone interviews, I know our program is seriously considering this.

I was going to say CMU is pretty good about getting back to you. I got my decision from CMU at the very beginning of February. Was the 720 in verbal or quant? Either way that is a good GRE score. The only school I am familiar with on your list is CMU. A recent graduate of BGSU is a visiting professor at our program and he seemed to really enjoy BGSU. He does a lot of work in quantitative methodology and IRT. Very interesting area right now with the debate between dominance models and unfolding models. Good luck, the weeks after you send in your apps are always the toughest.

Edited by iopsych

I have been lurking for a few months now but I decided I will post. I am applying to some PhD and masters programs in I/O psychology for the Fall 11 term. My GRE is not godlike like most people on this board who freak out over a 1300 but I tried very hard and took the thing 3 times to get my score.

GPA 3.6 overall 3.9 in major

GRE 1020

Research 3 years in a lab have done multiple things.

Presented 3 posters 2 at state conferences. Presented 1 talk

LOR's are superb all from Phd's I have known them for at least 2 years.

Worked on campus as a residential advisor then as a residential director for 4 years. ( I am including this because I think is holds some merit)

Sent in my VITA with all applications

I applied to these three PhD's I do not expect to get accepted to any of them because of my GRE.

Vtech Phd

Ohio University PhD

George Mason PhD

I applied to these masters I expect to hopefully get accepted to all of these

Middle TN State University Ms

University of Tennessee Chattanooga Ms

Appalachian State University Ms

anyone applied to bowling green state got a letter saying "We are pleased to inform you that your application materials have been forwarded to

Psychology for evaluation."?? they really like to send those letters but I have no idea if there have been cuts made or everyone that applied got one... it seem a little late to send out letters of this sort

Hey everyone,

A Canadian Psychology major in the house!

My stats:

Overall GPA 3.62 (I did Psychology // Life Sciences for 3 years before going pure psychology, so some of the life sci courses hurt my GPA)

Psyc GPA: 3.70

GREs - 1480:

780 Quant - 89th

700 Verbal - 97th

5.5 AWA - 94th

780 Psyc - 97th

Applied to:

- Queen's University (Organizational Behaviour)

- University of Waterloo (I/O Psyc)

- University of Western Ontario (I/O Psyc)

- St. Mar's University (I/O Psyc)

- University of Guelph (I/O Psyc)

- University of Windsor (I/O Psyc)

And as for the States:

- Claremont Graduate School (Some top faculty here; quite prestigious)

- San Jose State U (Silicon Valley + California = sweet dreams! Getting an internship at Google would be a hallelujah moment)

- Sacramento State U? Maybe? Still considering it. I hear State Universities are subpar and, uh... less prestigious so to speak.

So disappointed I missed Stanford's early deadline (Nov 30th?!).

Anyways, what do you think my odds are?

Also: After a phone interview with Guelph, I was invited to an open house where they tour me around campus and buy me free dinner. Anyone know what the deal is with these open houses? I've googled it a bit before, but am always information hungry.

Edited by Joe22c

your grades are really good, 3.6 GPA is fine in my oppinion.

if you have solid research experience, you should be good for a lot of programs

Hey everyone,

A Canadian Psychology major in the house!

My stats:

Overall GPA 3.62 (I did Psychology // Life Sciences for 3 years before going pure psychology, so some of the life sci courses hurt my GPA)

Psyc GPA: 3.70

GREs - 1480:

780 Quant - 89th

700 Verbal - 97th

5.5 AWA - 94th

780 Psyc - 97th

Applied to:

- Queen's University (Organizational Behaviour)

- University of Waterloo (I/O Psyc)

- University of Western Ontario (I/O Psyc)

- St. Mar's University (I/O Psyc)

- University of Guelph (I/O Psyc)

- University of Windsor (I/O Psyc)

And as for the States:

- Claremont Graduate School (Some top faculty here; quite prestigious)

- San Jose State U (Silicon Valley + California = sweet dreams! Getting an internship at Google would be a hallelujah moment)

- Sacramento State U? Maybe? Still considering it. I hear State Universities are subpar and, uh... less prestigious so to speak.

So disappointed I missed Stanford's early deadline (Nov 30th?!).

Anyways, what do you think my odds are?

Also: After a phone interview with Guelph, I was invited to an open house where they tour me around campus and buy me free dinner. Anyone know what the deal is with these open houses? I've googled it a bit before, but am always information hungry.

your grades are really good, 3.6 GPA is fine in my oppinion.

if you have solid research experience, you should be good for a lot of programs

Sweet, thanks for the words of encouragement. I suppose that's what I was fishing for to begin with anyways haha.

I do have some research experience (4 supervisors in total; 3 of which made extensive use of me ) but no publications under my belt.

But yeah; this anxiety is killing me. I just wish somebody would come out with a "You're accepted!" already; even if its a backup school, just something so I know I won't have to carry a sign that reads, "Will analyze data for food" next year.

The earliest thing I applied to (Dec 15th deadline) has advanced me to their shortlist and I'm going to their open house in MARCH. Freg. I don't want to wait that long to know whether or not I have a future.

hey turtler,

I got an email for an interview from Seattle Pacific for March 4th too! It's my first response, so I'm thinking of going. Do you think you'll be going too?

Got an email from Seattle Pacific Uni. inviting me to interview with them on March 4th. Their deadline was Jan 15th... quite possibly the fastest turn-around ever!

In case anyone is wondering apparently Michigan State University admits have already been sent out (I'm on waitlist ;[). I was also accepted into the PhD program at University of Central Florida, so at least I have somewhere to go regardless... The more time passes the less optimistic I get about the results from the apps -_-

Did MSU notify you of where you were in the list? Do schools usually let you know how far down you are?

In case anyone is wondering apparently Michigan State University admits have already been sent out (I'm on waitlist ;[). I was also accepted into the PhD program at University of Central Florida, so at least I have somewhere to go regardless... The more time passes the less optimistic I get about the results from the apps -_-

Of the 5 I've applied (3 more applications about to be sent out this monday) so far I've only heard back from 2:

----------------------------------------------

Guelph's MA in IO Psyc program:

Submitted materials on Dec 15th.

Notified I moved onto phone interviews Jan 20th (~ a little more than one month post submission)

Phone interview on Jan 28th

Notified I moved onto the short list on Jan 31st

Invitation to attend Open House March 4th

Windsor's Applied Social Psychology PhD program:

Submitted Materials on Jan 15th

Invitation to phone interview: Feb 4th (Less than one month post submission!)

Western's M.Sc IO Psyc program

Submitted Materials Jan 15th

Claremont's MA/MS/PhD Psyc Program

Submitted Materials Jan 15th

Waterloo's MA/PhD IO Psyc Program

Submitted Materials Jan 25th'ish.

----------------------------------------------

Meanwhile my friends in chemistry are getting free airplane tickets to do interviews. My friends in the life sciences are doing in person med school interviews. And other people are already accepted into Law School and Masters of Mangement Science at U of T. My good friend in Social Psyc is already accepted into Ohio State, Michigan, and UBC.

WHERE IS MY BACKUP NET? GAH. Come on grad schools; give me my validation already!

Edited by Joe22c

hey turtler,

I got an email for an interview from Seattle Pacific for March 4th too! It's my first response, so I'm thinking of going. Do you think you'll be going too?

Yea, I will be going. 400 dollars down the drain for airfare/room/car, but at the very least it will be great practice for future interviews (crosses-fingers). The only thing I'm worried about is the cost of their program..

I was also rejected from Wayne State University. But I was notified that I was wait listed at USF. But still sigh~~:(

Unfortunately getting denied doesn’t hurt any less the second time around….

I was rejected from Wayne State University today. I am confused as to how I was rejected without so much as an interview. I was invited to give a lecture with my current MA advisor back in November and the faculty was very interested in our research. Seeing as that was one of the few programs I thought I had a chance in, I am getting nervous about the others I applied to. :(

Has anyone heard back from any of these programs?

Illinois Institute of Technology - I/O PhD

DePaul University - I/O PhD

Northern Illinois University - Social/I-O PhD

UIC - Business - (Management) PhD

Northwestern University - Mgmt & Orgs PhD

University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign - I/O PhD

Ohio State University - Business (Labor/HR) PhD

University of Michigan - Mgmt & Orgs PhD

Indiana University - Business (OB & HRM) PhD

University of Chicago - Business (Mgmt & OMB) PhD

New Mexico State University - Business (Mgmt & HR) PhD

Florida Atlantic University – Business

Tulane University - Business (Mgmt) PhD

University of Texas Arlington - Experimental Psych (I/O) PhD

Best of luck to all!

Just stumbling upon this site. I too am waiting to hear back from Mason (haven't heard anything yet). I also applied to George Washington and U of Maryland (OB). As you can tell I'm trying to stay in the DC area, which kinda limits my options. I'm worried my GRE scores will hurt my chances but below is my profile:

GRE: T:1120 (V: 550; Q: 570; W: 5.5)

Master's in I/O Psych: 4.0 GPA with Master's Thesis

Bachelor's in Philosophy: 3.56 GPA

1 year full time work experience in I/O firm

2 small conference presenations (no SIOP or AOM...yet)

Curious as to any thoughts about my profile. Again, I know my GRE is very weak and plan to retake it if I don't get in this time around. Good luck to everyone.