Ann Arbor, MI

Guest wolverine

I'm curious about Northwood as well. I actually just applied for housing earlier this week, but I wasn't aware that there might be any waitlist at all. To be honest, though, I only just accepted admission to UM on the 15th, so I understand I could be more than a little late...

While on the topic of Northwood, does anyone have any insight on Northwood I+II vs. the Huron towers? I'll be at Taubman, so it only seems logical that I live in one of the two, though the insular aspect is a bit off-putting. 

On 4/21/2017 at 9:30 AM, justkelia said:

I was wondering if anyone had applied to live in Munger or Northwood? Housing contracts are supposed to come out this week or next, and I'm anxiously waiting to see if I actually made it through. I know that Munger had a pretty lengthy waitlist last year.

I sent in my housing application to Munger about a month ago. I really hope I can get a spot!

Hey Everyone,

I'm starting the Master of Urban Planning program at UM this fall and am, like a lot of people on here, searching for a good housing situation, but having to do it remotely since I'm in Philadelphia until August.  I'm pretty familiar with Ann Arbor but wanted to throw a few grad questions out to this forum and also see if any other incoming grad students were interested in looking for a place together.  If so, feel free to message me here, or directly on facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/colin.brown.54738943

General Questions:

- I am looking for somewhere close to central campus where I can walk to diag in winter; I'm willing to be more surrounded by undergrad life than I'd ideally like in order to be closer to campus.  Kerrytown and downtown are where I've searched the most, but if anyone thinks other areas are good for grads I'd be interested to know.

- I'm looking at splitting a house with a few other grads or just getting a room in one of the apartment complexes.  Does anyone have thoughts on if grads live in some of the apartment complexes near campus (e.g. ZaragonWest, Sterling411, Foundry, Varsity, ArborBlu, Landmark, etc.)?  The prices I've seen for these places are more than I wanted to spend, but I wonder if it's worth it to save on utilities during the winter.

- If anyone has suggestions for reputable property management groups for houses/apartments, that would be really helpful.

Thanks

Just wanted to ask if anyone's heard back from Munger yet? I applied pretty much on April 15th, and I haven't received any notification about my application since. At this point, I'm gonna start looking for apartments by myself, but I wanted to check if anyone else has heard back from them yet.

Edited by veryexcited

@veryexcited So I heard from an incoming grad student that he received an email from housing saying that he was rejected from the housing pool. (?) He said that I shouldn't worry because I haven't heard back yet. (?)

Also, an important thing to mention is that I called housing almost two weeks ago and they said that [1] they were getting returning students and June movers situated first before moving onto the August movers and [2] that I didn't screw myself over by signing up for the later move-in date.

I would highly suggest calling because it helped ease my soul a bit. And please share if you do call! 

Hey guys. 

I also applied for the August intake, and e-mailed housing last week asking "I got nothing does that mean I'm out". 

They said that (1) they have recently sent out decisions for people with a June 1st move in date and that (2) they anticipate August 1st move in date decisions out by the end of May.  Also, they emphasized that (3) not having heard back yet does not indicate that you will not be awarded a spot.

Fingers crossed...

Update:

Hey guys, 

just to let you know, I received my Munger contract on Friday. It had a three day acceptance term. 

See you in Munger :)

• 1 month later...
On June 12, 2017 at 1:18 AM, Xea said:

Hey guys, 

just to let you know, I received my Munger contract on Friday. It had a three day acceptance term. 

See you in Munger :)

Has anyone who received a Munger contract received their apartment number? Move in is a month away and it would be good to know my shipping address.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/1/2017 at 5:27 PM, jmillar said:

Has anyone who received a Munger contract received their apartment number? Move in is a month away and it would be good to know my shipping address.

Yes, I got a separate e-mail after the contract, and they also updated information about the apartment on my umich access. 

• 3 months later...

Hi everyone, 

In case anyone is moving to Ann Arbor around January and is looking for a place, I am searching for a new roommate and leasing terms are pretty flexible. I am in Ypsilanti, just adjacent to Ann Arbor, but it is only about a 15 minute drive to campus and rent is cheap. Here is my craigslist ad with details. Message me if you are interested. 

https://annarbor.craigslist.org/roo/d/looking-for-roommate-or/6372941759.html

• 5 months later...
On 7/2/2017 at 12:27 AM, jmillar said:

Do you remember when you received your Munger contract last year? I also applied for August move-in, for this year. 

9 hours ago, kiyokuro21 said:

Do you remember when you received your Munger contract last year? I also applied for August move-in, for this year. 

It was around May 20th, for starting in September.

Hi!

I recently got accepted to UMich to pursue a MSW. I'm a Canadian student, and I don't know anyone in Ann Arbor.

Could someone share their thoughts on the Munger residence? I'm thinking of living there for my first year. :)

My son has applied to live in Munger for 2018-19, along with Northwood.  He has not heard back yet.  Many things about Munger look awesome.  It's brand new with awesome amenities at a great location right by the Student Union and West Quad.  They are six or seven-bedroom apartments, with roommates selected from different graduate disciplines.  This appeals to my son.  He will be pursuing a PhD in Aerospace Engineering but has many other interests.  Most of his college friends are not engineering majors.  But he is concerned about sharing a kitchen with five or six other students.  He likes to cook and worries about access to the kitchen facilities, cleanliness, and the willingness of roommates to pitch in and work together.  Tragedy of the Commons.

One other issue is that unlike Northwood, there is no student parking.  If you have a car, figure on another $165/month for a parking permit in one of two garages about three blocks north of Munger.

The building was a gift from John Munger, a billionaire Michigan alum, and his wife Nancy.  They also funded a similar graduate dorm at Stanford, Nancy Munger's college.

Edited by Beaudreau

• 2 months later...

for Munger residence, as a part of an application, what is the waiting time after you apply? and if they provide me contract, do I have the option to accept/reject it?

what are the other good option as I have only one month to find a room?

• 3 months later...

Hey so, kind of a weird post but wondering if anyone else kicking around A2 has some insight. I've been here since Fall 2016 and living in an apt on the Old West Side with a couple of different roomies and most recently with my husband who finally made it over from the UK (ask me about J1/ J2 visas, go ahead!!). We've kind of outgrown the outdated 2-bedroom shittily-insulated apartment life and are planning to move sometime next summer (our lease is up Aug 18th 2019). We're torn between trying to look for a little single-family home with at least 3 bedrooms or 2 bedrooms and a basement (for us and our future catchildren) that's in budget - easier said than done - OR for a pet-friendly condo that has at least 3 bedrooms/ 2 beds+basementy type space.

We're okay with moving further out from downtown than we are currently - my husband is a young professional and I'll be a candidate next year so will have much less coursework/ fewer reasons to be on campus. We'd ideally like something that also has an exercise room since we are paying monthly at the YMCA and could cut that cost out and re-deploy that money towards rent for a place that includes it. 

Do you live in a hip and cool and good condo complex? We were looking at Arbor Landings, but saw a lot of reviews that complained about poor maintenance response time. Tell me about your dang cool condo experiences. But not if it's $2K a month pls :(

• 4 months later...

Hey, does anyone have any tips for job searching in Ann Arbor? I'm tossing around going to UM but my partner isn't sure she'll be able to find work there. She works at an education nonprofit now and has K12 teaching experience but would like to work in higher ed. Any help would be much appreciated!

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/24/2019 at 10:19 AM, apex45 said:

Hey, does anyone have any tips for job searching in Ann Arbor? I'm tossing around going to UM but my partner isn't sure she'll be able to find work there. She works at an education nonprofit now and has K12 teaching experience but would like to work in higher ed. Any help would be much appreciated!

What kind of work would your partner like to do in higher ed? Getting a job at the University could be one way to go: http://careers.umich.edu/search/

Otherwise, you could look into nearby universities: Eastern Michigan University and Washtenaw Community College. 

On 2/24/2019 at 1:19 PM, apex45 said:

What is her education? What is her background?

Looking for housing/area recommendations with no breed or weight restrictions for dogs.  I also have two cats, and am having trouble finding a place that either doesn't have breed restrictions or a two-pet limit.  I'd like to be within walking/biking distance to campus (International Studies MA so I'm not quite sure what part of campus those classes will be on yet) but I also don't mind a short commute.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/13/2019 at 3:24 AM, JennyGoat said:

Looking for housing/area recommendations with no breed or weight restrictions for dogs.  I also have two cats, and am having trouble finding a place that either doesn't have breed restrictions or a two-pet limit.  I'd like to be within walking/biking distance to campus (International Studies MA so I'm not quite sure what part of campus those classes will be on yet) but I also don't mind a short commute.  

You are better looking outside of AA. I found a few apartments in Ypsilanti that meet your requirements. You need to be willing to take public transit, which is not bad in comparison to the rest of the US.