MPH/MSc Public Health - UAlberta 2023

acran0715

Hi! I'm applying to this program too! And the current status of my application is under review as well, hopefully there could some good news in coming days!

On 3/8/2023 at 7:17 PM, mxpxhx said:

Hi! I got an unofficial acceptance from UOA into General MPH stream. Did anyone else get that email?

congrats! I applied to MSc in Epidemiology, haven't heard any update from UoA yet

On 3/8/2023 at 4:17 AM, mxpxhx said:

Hi! I got an unofficial acceptance from UOA into General MPH stream. Did anyone else get that email?

Congrats! I applied to the MSc in Epidemiology. I have had a couple professors reach out to ask if I'd be interested in working with them (not sure if this is normal) so I'm hoping that's good news?! 

On 3/13/2023 at 3:18 PM, acran0715 said:

Congrats! I applied to the MSc in Epidemiology. I have had a couple professors reach out to ask if I'd be interested in working with them (not sure if this is normal) so I'm hoping that's good news?! 

I think it is! A friend of mine told me some applicants from Canada have already got an offer. However, I asked the advisor this week and he said that the expected time of a decision would be April. I'm worried.

4 hours ago, qiwang18 said:

I think it is! A friend of mine told me some applicants from Canada have already got an offer. However, I asked the advisor this week and he said that the expected time of a decision would be April. I'm worried.

Yeah, I saw a few post on Reddit from people getting accepted to M.Sc Epidemiology! It might just be exceptional students though for very few offers. I'm applying to Global Health, and I hadn't heard anything yet. Best of luck to you though! Hopefully, you would hear soon!

On 3/13/2023 at 12:18 AM, acran0715 said:

I feel like that's a good sign! I talked to two professors prior to my application, and I still haven't heard from them even though we had great conversation, so it makes me nervous lol 

Hieveryone! Got an unofficial acceptance this morning (application is being forwarded to FGSR). This is after I contacted them and asked about when admission offers would be going out. They originally told me "in the coming weeks" so don't give up hope!!

1 hour ago, acran0715 said:

Hieveryone! Got an unofficial acceptance this morning (application is being forwarded to FGSR). This is after I contacted them and asked about when admission offers would be going out. They originally told me "in the coming weeks" so don't give up hope!!

Congratulations! I hope I hear soon. I'm tempted to send an email to them, but I'm scared they will reject me instantly. I'm getting super anxious right now. 🥲

13 minutes ago, jzysan said:

Congratulations! I hope I hear soon. I'm tempted to send an email to them, but I'm scared they will reject me instantly. I'm getting super anxious right now. 🥲

Have you tried reconnecting with those professors again?

Just now, jzysan said:

Do you think I should? I feel like I would be annoying them if I send an email about the status. 

Email the professor you'd like to work with. Ask them if they are still interested in working with you if you are accepted. See what they say. You have to have a confirmed supervisor before you are accepted.

2 minutes ago, acran0715 said:

Email the professor you'd like to work with. Ask them if they are still interested in working with you if you are accepted. See what they say. You have to have a confirmed supervisor before you are accepted.

Sounds good! I will check in with them again to see my application. I talked to both of them previously, and they seem to want me, but things might have gotten busy with them. Thank you! 

Just now, jzysan said:

Sounds good! I will check in with them again to see my application. I talked to both of them previously, and they seem to want me, but things might have gotten busy with them. Thank you! 

I wish you the best of luck!!

• 1 month later...
On 3/17/2023 at 2:20 AM, jzysan said:

Yeah, I saw a few post on Reddit from people getting accepted to M.Sc Epidemiology! It might just be exceptional students though for very few offers. I'm applying to Global Health, and I hadn't heard anything yet. Best of luck to you though! Hopefully, you would hear soon!

Any positive response regarding Msc Global Health ?

10 hours ago, meiguanxi said:

Any positive response regarding Msc Global Health ?

Hello! I updated on the other forum, but I got accepted a month ago. I emailed my PI, and she told me that I would get news on March 27th, which I did. I accepted my offer too. I hope you hear soon! We can be classmates!!

On 4/24/2023 at 1:47 AM, jzysan said:

Hello! I updated on the other forum, but I got accepted a month ago. I emailed my PI, and she told me that I would get news on March 27th, which I did. I accepted my offer too. I hope you hear soon! We can be classmates!!

If you don't mind sharing did you manage to get fund ? Did you select Zubia Mumtaz as your supervisor?

34 minutes ago, rko said:

If you don't mind sharing did you manage to get fund ? Did you select Zubia Mumtaz as your supervisor?

No, I have someone else as a supervisor. My supervisor and I are going to work on grants for funding in the fall. I have been in touch with another professor who is close with my supervisor. I have the option to research under this professor too if I wanted, but details will be discussed more later. Hope that helps!

On 4/24/2023 at 1:47 AM, jzysan said:

My application status is still under review. I don't know what to expect. When I communicated with a prospective supervisor before application, she responded like "Go ahead and apply". Since it's almost end of April, so I am kind of worried. Although I am having another MPH offer from University of Saskatchewan.

7 hours ago, meiguanxi said:

My application status is still under review. I don't know what to expect. When I communicated with a prospective supervisor before application, she responded like "Go ahead and apply". Since it's almost end of April, so I am kind of worried. Although I am having another MPH offer from University of Saskatchewan.

Is U of A your top choice? I'm not sure who your prospective supervisor is, but I reached out to several, and they also said the same. I didn't put their name down for my application. Instead, I was fortunate to meet my current supervisor and another supervisor (she is now on my thesis committee) through Zoom, which allowed us to know each other better. Because there are so many applicants and few supervisors, it can be challenging to write down the supervisor as you have to compete with other students who did the same. I prefer to speak with them, and it might be more meaningful compared to just write a name, but I hope you hear soon! Don't be discouraged because I hear that offers can go until June! Always happy to chat more if you want to, and congratulations on your offer from Saskatchewan!

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/29/2023 at 11:07 PM, jzysan said:

Is U of A your top choice? I'm not sure who your prospective supervisor is, but I reached out to several, and they also said the same. I didn't put their name down for my application. Instead, I was fortunate to meet my current supervisor and another supervisor (she is now on my thesis committee) through Zoom, which allowed us to know each other better. Because there are so many applicants and few supervisors, it can be challenging to write down the supervisor as you have to compete with other students who did the same. I prefer to speak with them, and it might be more meaningful compared to just write a name, but I hope you hear soon! Don't be discouraged because I hear that offers can go until June! Always happy to chat more if you want to, and congratulations on your offer from Saskatchewan!

Yes...I would choose UoA over Saska but I am not receiving any outcome from UoA authority. I think I will receive a rejection email sooner or later as they have already sent admission offer letter to eligible candidates.