PhD/DrPH (Public Health) Fall 2024 - The Grad Cafe Forums

PHD-DRPH

4 hours ago, publichealth4me said:

I still have not heard back from Rutgers DrPH! I emailed asking when we'd hear back and they said by March 18th. Has anyone gotten an update on this?

I didn't email them to ask for the status but I got an email from the Associate Program Director that results will be declared by March 18th. However, I still haven't heard from them. 

3 hours ago, Squashplayer000 said:

I didn't email them to ask for the status but I got an email from the Associate Program Director that results will be declared by March 18th. However, I still haven't heard from them. 

Confirming that I received the same email stating the March 18th date for decisions to be communicated, but I too have  not received an additional email with any decision.

It sounds as if this year's prospective cohorts have had a much higher number of applicants than in the past. I'm very sympathetic to the admissions teams, but it's unfortunate to have an expectation communicated with no follow-through, or follow-up stating that the date needs to be pushed further out.

The veiled and long timelines for these processes to play out has added unnecessary pressure to an already stressful situation. I wish there was a more unified approach, like a Match Day, or something similar.

Hello, a little late to the game here but figured it wouldn't hurt to ask--any University of Florida PhD hopefuls here? I applied for UF's PhD in Public Health with a concentration in Health Services Research on 1/13, received an interview invite on 2/15, interviewed on 3/13 and am anxiously waiting to hear back. Would love to connect to other gator folk!

Edited by NagemLyn
forgot to include interview date

16 minutes ago, drph_2024 said:

Just received a rejection email from Bloomberg fellowship (DrPH). Oh well. Congrats to those who received it! 

Ugh, I'm sorry! That's disappointing. Does it change your decision on where you'll enroll?

I'm still waiting to hear back.

Just now, Veera_DrPH said:

Ugh, I'm sorry! That's disappointing. Does it change your decision on where you'll enroll?

I'm still waiting to hear back.

Thank you! It doesn't change my decision but probably will for some folks. 

1 hour ago, drph_2024 said:

Just received a rejection email from Bloomberg fellowship (DrPH). Oh well. Congrats to those who received it! 

Sorry to hear that 😕 I can't even imagine how many applications they get, and it's a tough wait - but glad that you are accepted and still able to go! 

Would you mind sharing who the email came from? I haven't received anything yet either and am not holding my breath, but thought I would double check searching my inbox in case it got sent to another folder.

On 3/18/2024 at 1:34 PM, sandia_sunflower said:

I just received notice of admission email from University of Nebraska DrPH for the epidemiology concentration. Hope the few others I know of on here waiting hear positive news also :)

I am holding miniscule hope for a Bloomberg fellowship - but otherwise will most likely accept the UNMC offer, it is a great alternative for me and much more affordable.

Congrats! I still haven't heard back yet 😞 Did they give a deadline to accept by?

Also, could I ask what your stats are?

Thanks!

10 minutes ago, Potomac5 said:

Congrats! I still haven't heard back yet 😞 Did they give a deadline to accept by?

Also, could I ask what your stats are?

Thanks!

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you! They gave a deadline to accept/decline by April 1. Seems a little early, but perhaps that is so they have time to extend offers to other individuals before the 4/15 deadline.

Not sure exactly what stats are most helpful but I got my MPH in epi about 5 years ago and have worked in my current job about 5 years as a program manager - it is a very environmental science/public health focused group at a university. Prior to this job I worked in clinical research for about 5 years at the same institution. So 10 years total of health/science related work and 5 years of applied public health work. Mid-30s.

I'm credited as an author on 4 publications, none of them as first author and all of them from my time in clinical work so I'm not sure that played much of a factor. A decent amount of posters/presentations that are a mix of clinical/public health. I have tried to do one professional development course/workshop each year dedicated to public health (a summer institute course at JHU, a public health bootcamp at Columbia) which perhaps helps.

Not sure if any of that is helpful, but if there is anything else I'm happy to share. I hope that you hear back from your school(s) soon!

On 3/19/2024 at 2:21 PM, Squashplayer000 said:

Got an email about the Rutgers decision last night at like 12am. Got waitlisted. 

36 minutes ago, Veera_DrPH said:

I got an email about 45 min ago that I was selected for the Bloomberg Fellowship!  Hope others get good news, too!  All the best!

That is incredible!! So excited for you, what a great accomplishment 🎉

(edit - just out of curiosity, did you get a personal email or programmatic template type email?)

Edited by sandia_sunflower

1 minute ago, sandia_sunflower said:

Thank you!  I would've deferred and tried again next year, if it didn't pan out.  Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

11 minutes ago, sandia_sunflower said:

(edit - just out of curiosity, did you get a personal email or programmatic template type email?)

Just saw your edit.  It seems like a personal email (at least compared to the admissions email from Hopkins).  I expect everyone accepted got the same email though.

On 3/19/2024 at 1:22 AM, BZG said:

You and me both mines just went from complete,under review to Additional review required I'm not forsure what this means. My guess is probably under final review with the committee? I've seen mixed responses. So got accepted shortly and some got rejected. 😵‍💫😩

Update....spoke with Recruitment today. Pulled my app up & reported that I'm still in contention & the 40ish remaining applications are enroute to final committee review. Should know final disposition by mid April. Hope this helps as well. 

20 minutes ago, Veera_DrPH said:

Just saw your edit.  It seems like a personal email (at least compared to the admissions email from Hopkins).  I expect everyone accepted got the same email though.

Thanks! I've been pretty relaxed about the process this year, but now feeling a little stressed having not heard anything one way or another, just checked my application again to make sure it actually got submitted. Appreciate the info :) 

20 hours ago, WTFO said:

Update....spoke with Recruitment today. Pulled my app up & reported that I'm still in contention & the 40ish remaining applications are enroute to final committee review. Should know final disposition by mid April. Hope this helps as well. 

Thank you. My application status disappeared. I don't know if it's a glitch or not. I haven't received an update or anything just logged into the portal.

21 hours ago, WTFO said:

Thank you. My application status disappeared. I don't know if it's a glitch or not. I haven't received an update or anything just logged into the portal.

Update they told me decision will be sent out in a few days for me. 

1 hour ago, BZG said:

🤔 hopefully it's your acceptance 👍🏼

For those waiting to hear from UNMC's Advocacy and Leadership concentration. I asked the director of admissions for an update on admissions. He said they have just completed the reviews and will now go through the process of ranking everyone based on the reviews. They should be extending offers by end of next week at the very latest. eat y arew at going through the process of ranking everyone based on to have these by the end of next week at the very latestthey are now going through the process of ranking everyone based on the reviews to see who we will be extending offers to. I hope to have these by the end of next week at the very latest

Got rejected from UCSD/SDSU JDP PhD in Epidemiology this morning. Also heard the SDSU DrPH admissions are out for the inaugural cohort, due to all the celebratory emails at work haha. I am slightly surprised although not shocked re: JDP, someone also told me there were over 300 applicants this year for only 3 spots?! A bit of hearsay but the source was from someone enrolled in the UCSD MPH so might be accurate. Everyone they know got rejected as well.

Still nothing from UNMC Epidemiology DrPH here, I’m assuming I am a waitlist or rejection at this point since I saw a few others got admitted (congratulations)! I was accepted at UC Merced for their fully funded PhD in Public Health and may defer that offer to give us more time to move. Also accepted at CGU but plan to decline due to the cost ($14k fellowship awarded but it’s not enough) and the fact the program leans more health promo/leadership. 

Edited by Epinionated

7 hours ago, BZG said:

7 hours ago, BZG said:

Update was denied from UIC.

Got an acceptance email from UGA DrPH program. Now I need to decide where to go 

GWU or UGA

i have over 15 years experience of program management in communicable disease control in developing countries. Appreciate it if you could give me an advice so that I could drop one of the offer and create more seats for waitlisted friends. 

3 hours ago, Atila said:

Got an acceptance email from UGA DrPH program. Now I need to decide where to go 

GWU or UGA

i have over 15 years experience of program management in communicable disease control in developing countries. Appreciate it if you could give me an advice so that I could drop one of the offer and create more seats for waitlisted friends. 

Thank you for sharing your stats!