PhD/DrPH (Public Health) Fall 2024 - The Grad Cafe Forums

PHD-DRPH

5 hours ago, Atila said:

Got an acceptance email from UGA DrPH program. Now I need to decide where to go 

GWU or UGA

i have over 15 years experience of program management in communicable disease control in developing countries. Appreciate it if you could give me an advice so that I could drop one of the offer and create more seats for waitlisted friends. 

Congratulations! I think the choice will depend in part on your career goals. If you want to get a leadership role in U.S. public health policy / government or make connections with large multilateral organizations (WHO, etc.) or international NGOs, the GW program is well positioned to help you do that. It's a large, well-known public health school and probably has a good alumni network. The GW program is expensive and cost of living in DC is high, so it may not be worth the added price tag if the UGA DrPH program is an equally good fit for you. I don't know much about the UGA program, but I imagine they have some connections to the CDC (though are likely competing with Emory in that regard) if you are looking to stay in communicable disease control. I would suggest to talk with current students at both programs to get a sense for which would be a better fit.

14 hours ago, BZG said:

Update was denied from UIC.

Sorry to hear that for you 😕  I know it can feel incredibly discouraging (I've been there), hope you take some time for a bit of self care and that next cycle is a success with everything you've learned through this one.

2 hours ago, sandia_sunflower said:

Sorry to hear that for you 😕  I know it can feel incredibly discouraging (I've been there), hope you take some time for a bit of self care and that next cycle is a success with everything you've learned through this one.

Thank you I have 2 more to hear from. I have some optimism left.

4/6 rejected.

Schools rejected from

UMNC Advocacy Leadership and Equity

Tulane Leadership and Equity

Georgia Southern University Public Health Leadership

UIC Public Health

On 3/8/2024 at 10:58 AM, ggpublichealth said:

Can I ask what your background is? Masters? Work experience? Etc. Thank you! 

MPH (GPA: 3.7-ish? writing this from memory). Eight years of experience post-MPH. I have had many jobs, honestly. They are a mix of research and evaluation roles (and one program management role) across the federal government, two large hospital systems, one foundation/think tank, and two non-profits (both director-level positions). I served as PI/PD on a community-based research project for 2.5 years. I'm first author on one peer-reviewed journal article and co-author on several web-based research reports. 

I took a lot of time crafting my personal statements, tailoring them to each program, and trying to paint a clear picture of how each specific DrPH program will close the gap between where I am now (and how my experiences collectively shaped me) and where I want to go (which focused more on the impact I want to have and less on a job title).

Hope this helps!

Hi all! As we near the end of this application cycle, I’m nervously thinking what’s the best thing to do in this situation… and hoping to get some advice from you all.

I was accepted for a great DrPH program (program A) and waitlisted at my top choice (program B). I was asked to accept Program A by 4/1 and that I would hear from Program B about waitlist status by mid-April. I’m not sure what to do. I would be happy to accept at Program A, but I’m worried about the remote possibility of accepting Program A and being admitted off the waitlist at Program B and possibly having to rescind my original acceptance. A good problem to have, I guess. 

Any thoughts or similar experiences would be much appreciated!!

UNMC update, Initial offers have been made for the Epidemiology program.  They are currently waiting to see who accepts and declines their offer--so if you don't intend to go, let them know soon!

Based on who may decline, there may be additional offers they can make which is why we have not received an offer or a decline yet.

Edited by wurtzite

13 hours ago, PublicHealthSLP said:

Hi all! As we near the end of this application cycle, I’m nervously thinking what’s the best thing to do in this situation… and hoping to get some advice from you all.

I was accepted for a great DrPH program (program A) and waitlisted at my top choice (program B). I was asked to accept Program A by 4/1 and that I would hear from Program B about waitlist status by mid-April. I’m not sure what to do. I would be happy to accept at Program A, but I’m worried about the remote possibility of accepting Program A and being admitted off the waitlist at Program B and possibly having to rescind my original acceptance. A good problem to have, I guess. 

Any thoughts or similar experiences would be much appreciated!!

I would suggest possibly following up with program B and asking if it would be alright to check on your place on the waitlist - this might help you decide how to proceed from there. If your #1-5 on the list that might be a different choice than #10+. You could even explain that this is your program of choice but that program B was hoping to have a decision prior to the deadline for program A.

Alternatively (or in addition) - you could reach out to program A and let them know that you look forward to the opportunity to attend but that there is another program which may not reach out regarding waitlist admits until April 15, and that although you would be happy to matriculate into program A that if it were possible to delay your decision you would like to wait until all possible acceptances have been received to make an informed decision.

I am also waiting on information from another program before committing to UNMC - fortunately they have guaranteed that information will be available by end of this week, but it is hard to have things feel so up in the air. Good luck!

Finally heard back from Bloomberg that it was a 'no' for this year. Had my fingers crossed that it might workout since my decision came a bit later than some others. But alas! I think this pushes me towards accepting the UNMC Epi offer. It seems like a really solid program, good faculty, and the opportunity for enviro health electives.

Good luck to all those who are still waiting on decisions!

Edited by sandia_sunflower

1 hour ago, sandia_sunflower said:

Finally heard back from Bloomberg that it was a 'no' for this year. Had my fingers crossed that it might workout since my decision came a bit later than some others. But alas! I think this pushes me towards accepting the UNMC Epi offer. It seems like a really solid program, good faculty, and the opportunity for enviro health electives - and at less than half the cost.

Sorry to hear about the Bloomberg fellowship, but glad you have a great offer from UNMC Epi - congrats!

2 hours ago, sandia_sunflower said:

I would suggest possibly following up with program B and asking if it would be alright to check on your place on the waitlist - this might help you decide how to proceed from there. If your #1-5 on the list that might be a different choice than #10+. You could even explain that this is your program of choice but that program B was hoping to have a decision prior to the deadline for program A.

Alternatively (or in addition) - you could reach out to program A and let them know that you look forward to the opportunity to attend but that there is another program which may not reach out regarding waitlist admits until April 15, and that although you would be happy to matriculate into program A that if it were possible to delay your decision you would like to wait until all possible acceptances have been received to make an informed decision.

I am also waiting on information from another program before committing to UNMC - fortunately they have guaranteed that information will be available by end of this week, but it is hard to have things feel so up in the air. Good luck!

Thank you so much for this thoughtful response! I was leaning in this direction as well, so I think this is how I will move forward. Thank you so much for this!

Additionally, I saw your post about the Bloomberg fellowship. I’m sorry it didn’t work out for you on the waitlist, but I truly hope you have an amazing experience at UNMC!!

1 hour ago, sandia_sunflower said:

Finally heard back from Bloomberg that it was a 'no' for this year. Had my fingers crossed that it might workout since my decision came a bit later than some others. But alas! I think this pushes me towards accepting the UNMC Epi offer. It seems like a really solid program, good faculty, and the opportunity for enviro health electives - and at less than half the cost.

Sorry to hear about Bloomberg but congratulations on UNMC offer. I am hoping to hear from UNMC for Advocacy and Leadership concentration. I just received an acceptance from MCW but cost is a big factor for not accepting and waiting on UNMC. I also think UNMC is better fit for me. I hope everything goes well for you at UNMC!

Edited by DBDrphRN

59 minutes ago, DBDrphRN said:

Sorry to hear about Bloomberg but congratulations on UNMC offer. I am hoping to hear from UNMC for Advocacy and Leadership concentration. I just received an acceptance from MCW but cost is a big factor for not accepting and waiting on UNMC. I also think UNMC is better fit for me. I hope everything goes well for you at UNMC!

Congrats on the acceptance to MCW!! Crossing fingers for an acceptance to UNMC Advocacy and Leadership!

On 3/21/2024 at 5:05 PM, DBDrphRN said:

For those waiting to hear from UNMC's Advocacy and Leadership concentration. I asked the director of admissions for an update on admissions. He said they have just completed the reviews and will now go through the process of ranking everyone based on the reviews. They should be extending offers by end of next week at the very latest. eat y arew at going through the process of ranking everyone based on to have these by the end of next week at the very latestthey are now going through the process of ranking everyone based on the reviews to see who we will be extending offers to. I hope to have these by the end of next week at the very latest

Curious if anyone has received an offer from UNMC's DrPH program focused on Advocacy and Leadership? Based on this, it sounds like acceptance communications would have started by today.

1 hour ago, Scribble2834 said:

Curious if anyone has received an offer from UNMC's DrPH program focused on Advocacy and Leadership? Based on this, it sounds like acceptance communications would have started by 

No news, I reached out to the director of admissions on Wednesday this week, I got an out of the office reply stating he would return back to the office on yesterday. At this point, I just I really want to know either way.

Edited by DBDrphRN

12 hours ago, DBDrphRN said:

No news, I reached out to the director of admissions on Wednesday this week, I got an out of the office reply stating he would return back to the office on yesterday. At this point, I just I really want to know either way.

12 hours ago, Scribble2834 said:

Curious if anyone has received an offer from UNMC's DrPH program focused on Advocacy and Leadership? Based on this, it sounds like acceptance communications would have started by today.

No news here either from UNMC. I'm hoping they are just behind schedule, especially if the admissions director was out of the office for a couple of days. It seems like at least one of us would have heard something if they had started extending offers?

I just got a phone call from GW's admissions counselor welcoming me into the DrPH program!! I'm shaking, I was expecting to get rejected. Thank you to everyone on this sub for being so wonderful and supportive throughout this entire process. This is a fantastic community, and I wish you all the best! 

On 3/22/2024 at 4:45 PM, Ikigai1896 said:

Does anyone have any estimate for stipend at UNC in the cancer epi department? And funding sources in general?

The stipend in epi department seems to be the same as the NIH predoctoral level salary, which is around 27000. Confirmed by the current student in pharmacoepi, but not sure if it's the same in cancer epi

20 hours ago, ARPH said:

I just got a phone call from GW's admissions counselor welcoming me into the DrPH program!! I'm shaking, I was expecting to get rejected. Thank you to everyone on this sub for being so wonderful and supportive throughout this entire process. This is a fantastic community, and I wish you all the best! 

Congratulations!!! I'm expecting to be rejected there too so now I have maybe a little hope! My counselor told me I'd hear by 4/12. 

22 hours ago, cpkepi said:

The stipend in epi department seems to be the same as the NIH predoctoral level salary, which is around 27000. Confirmed by the current student in pharmacoepi, but not sure if it's the same in cancer epi

One thing is that 27k includes summer earnings. The school-year stipend is 20k so depending on your specialty area/how you plan to spend the summer you could theoretically get more or less than 27k.