PhD/DrPH (Public Health) Fall 2024 - The Grad Cafe Forums

PHD-DRPH

17 hours ago, Mamitis said:

Just received my rejection to Tulane. 

4 out of 4 rejections.

As my DrPH cycle comes to a close, I sincerely wish all of you the utmost success and joy in your academic endeavors. 

May you be blessed with the continued ability to protect and promote the public's health and wellbeing in your work. 

Receiving a rejection can be disappointing, but please know that your qualifications and dedication are admirable. Keep believing in yourself and exploring other opportunities. You are a true gem in this forum. 

Dear all, it has been quite a journey. You are an amazing group! Congratulations to all of you who got into their dream programs, my best wishes for the ones who got waitlisted and the ones who will apply next year. I would like to offer an additional piece of advice from my own experience and after talking to applicants admitted PhD Epi programs at JHU, Harvard, Yale, and Columbia. First, most of them did their undergrad and masters at top 10 schools but there were a few exceptions (international and/or low ranked programs in the US). Second, having an affiliation/experience at UN organizations definetely helps. Third, publications and work experience help a lot if they are closely related to the program you are applying to. Fourth, it is pivotal to build a comprenhensive trajectory that clearly speaks to why the PhD (in your chosen track) is a logical step in your career. Fifth, significant research experience (maybe 2+ years) that is well aligned to your desired program. Overall, in everything you do, try to related it to your area/track of interest and specific area of interest and population of interest. Avoid spreading all around (i.e. adults + children + hiv + cancer, etc). This is what quality over quantity would mean in this context. Sixth, align your career goals to your specific area of interest. Dream big but also be realistic. For instance, if you want to lead a UN agency you should at least have some exposure to it through an internship/work, current collaborators, etc. Be specific and have a realistic plan in your head. Also, break your overall goal into short, medium and long term sub goals.

I believe that the stronger factor would be the real world impact (specific to your track) your were able to achieve with your work/publications. For example, a policy being started/changed based on your research. Resources being allocated to a program/emergency situation based on your advocacy work, etc. 

@Mamitis Hope this is a bit helpful 😃

Edited by Qantu

2 hours ago, Qantu said:

Dear all, it has been quite a journey. You are an amazing group! Congratulations to all of you who got into their dream programs, my best wishes for the ones who got waitlisted and the ones who will apply next year. I would like to offer an additional piece of advice from my own experience and after talking to applicants admitted PhD Epi programs at JHU, Harvard, Yale, and Columbia. First, most of them did their undergrad and masters at top 10 schools but there were a few exceptions (international and/or low ranked programs in the US). Second, having an affiliation/experience at UN organizations definetely helps. Third, publications and work experience help a lot if they are closely related to the program you are applying to. Fourth, it is pivotal to build a comprenhensive trajectory that clearly speaks to why the PhD (in your chosen track) is a logical step in your career. Fifth, significant research experience (maybe 2+ years) that is well aligned to your desired program. Overall, in everything you do, try to related it to your area/track of interest and specific area of interest and population of interest. Avoid spreading all around (i.e. adults + children + hiv + cancer, etc). This is what quality over quantity would mean in this context. Sixth, align your career goals to your specific area of interest. Dream big but also be realistic. For instance, if you want to lead a UN agency you should at least have some exposure to it through an internship/work, current collaborators, etc. Be specific and have a realistic plan in your head. Also, break your overall goal into short, medium and long term sub goals.

I believe that the stronger factor would be the real world impact (specific to your track) your were able to achieve with your work/publications. For example, a policy being started/changed based on your research. Resources being allocated to a program/emergency situation based on your advocacy work, etc. 

@Mamitis Hope this is a bit helpful 😃

This is wonderful Qantu, thanks so much. I’ve been reflecting on my Harvard app a lot, considering that it is my dream school. I’ll get in touch after I hear back from all my schools. Thanks again! 

6 hours ago, drphpharm said:

Has anyone interviewed at Indiana's Richard M. Fairbanks School of Public health for the DrPH program? I would like to connect as I have an interview coming up. Also curious to know if UIC is done with sending their DrPH admission decisions. I applied. My portal just says the application is being reviewed.

I interviewed back in Jan and was accepted.

1 hour ago, texaspublichealthgirl said:

Great! Would you mind sharing on what they look for during the interview? What would be the best way to prepare for it? Thanks.

1 hour ago, texaspublichealthgirl said:

8 hours ago, drphpharm said:

Has anyone interviewed at Indiana's Richard M. Fairbanks School of Public health for the DrPH program? I would like to connect as I have an interview coming up. Also curious to know if UIC is done with sending their DrPH admission decisions. I applied. My portal just says the application is being reviewed.

In the same boat with UIC - not sure if they plan to send out any more acceptances or if not being accepted yet is a soft waitlist/rejection. 

1 hour ago, drphpharm said:

Great! Would you mind sharing on what they look for during the interview? What would be the best way to prepare for it? Thanks.

Sure thing. They asked about public health work experience, research interest and future career interests. They asked about MPH courses and personality. I think they are really trying to see if you are a good fit for the program, so I encourage you to be yourself! 
@sp05 and @dreamland_83 anything else to add?

@drphpharm I agree with all @texaspublichealthgirl shared. Summarize your core MPH coursework, public health work experience, leadership experience, research experience, and how DrPH fits in to your career goals. Ensure your leadership style and skills are evident in your responses. Definitely be yourself and try to relax. I know that’s easier said than done. Wishing you luck!

On 3/8/2024 at 3:41 PM, MiggyMigs said:

Add me toooo! Only waiting to hear back from BU and Southern Georgia, now. But rejected from Harvard, UC-Berkeley, Tulane, and Texas A&M. TAMU, btw was the most odd. The DrPH chair reached out to me mid-Jan to ask me about research interests - they aligned with hers, so I thought I had it in the bag. The response was that they could NOT take me under their advisorship - another professor I chose QUIT & the other that was available would reach out to me. The professor never reached out to me and I got a rejection 3 days after I emailed them. I feel like I dodged a bullet with that program, tbh.

This rejection (Tulane) was a hard pill to swallow for me - but in the same time that I applied to grad school, I also applied to other jobs and now I’m waiting to onboard (starting in a 2-4 weeks) with a Public Health org that is bumping my current salary by 50% - this is “life changing” for me. I know money shouldn’t be the motive, but at this salary and with the impact that I’ll be able to make now, grad school (DrPH or PhD) seems unreasonable for me to pursue, now. Keep your head up, everyone - when one door closes, another one opens. And sometimes that door has 30 to choose from once you cross it. I wish everyone much success in everything. Best of luck 🤞🏻

I haven't heard back from UIC. Just got rejected from Georgia Southern. It was my top school 😔. 3 rejections out of 5. I still have one more school to apply too.

19 minutes ago, BZG said:

I haven't heard back from UIC. Just got rejected from Georgia Southern. It was my top school 😔. 3 rejections out of 5. I still have one more school to apply too.

I’m sorry to hear that @BZG. Do you mind sharing when you applied to GSU? 

if it makes a difference - it seems like some(most) successful applicants were accepted after their 2nd or 3rd app cycle. I know it’s not optimal, but there’s some motivation and hope for next year. 

To my friends who applied to Tulane..I emailed the director personally friday, as she was who encouraged me to apply when I was hesitant and still contemplating. This is what she told me

The applicant pool for Fall 2024 was highly talented and competitive. Of the 202 applications that we received, we were able to offer admissions to 35 students. Of the admitted students, their average GPA was above a 3.5 and the years of work experience for the pool was 13 years of work experience.

I hope this info helps applicants for future cycles! Best of luck ❤️

That's what I was realizing myself and also the fact I'm coming straight out of graduate school probably makes me looks less attractive as a candidate.

I have work experience But not enough I feel like. 

I applied to Georgia Southern Jan 15th before the deadline. So much for applying early  in hopes to get accepted 😅🥲 .

5 minutes ago, BZG said:

That's what I was realizing myself and also the fact I'm coming straight out of graduate school probably makes me looks less attractive as a candidate.

I have work experience But not enough I feel like. 

I applied to Georgia Southern Jan 15th before the deadline. So much for applying early  in hopes to get accepted 😅🥲 .

Yeah…when she said 13 years I was like 😳 lol I’m 2 years post grad school as well. And I really think DrPH programs are starting to emphasize experience a lot. So it’s good to know 🙂

29 minutes ago, mandycandy said:

To my friends who applied to Tulane..I emailed the director personally friday, as she was who encouraged me to apply when I was hesitant and still contemplating. This is what she told me

The applicant pool for Fall 2024 was highly talented and competitive. Of the 202 applications that we received, we were able to offer admissions to 35 students. Of the admitted students, their average GPA was above a 3.5 and the years of work experience for the pool was 13 years of work experience.

I hope this info helps applicants for future cycles! Best of luck ❤️

Thank you @mandycandy - this is incredibly helpful to know! Given how competitive DrPH program admissions are for many programs, I wish more programs would share admitted students stats like this in their info sessions for prospective students. It would be really helpful for potential applicants to get a more realistic sense of what the admissions committee is actually looking for in terms of work experience (on average), not just the minimums stated on program websites.

2 hours ago, MiggyMigs said:

if it makes a difference - it seems like some(most) successful applicants were accepted after their 2nd or 3rd app cycle. I know it’s not optimal, but there’s some motivation and hope for next year. 

1 hour ago, DrPHhopeful2024 said:

Thank you @mandycandy - this is incredibly helpful to know! Given how competitive DrPH program admissions are for many programs, I wish more programs would share admitted students stats like this in their info sessions for prospective students. It would be really helpful for potential applicants to get a more realistic sense of what the admissions committee is actually looking for in terms of work experience (on average), not just the minimums stated on program websites.

I agree. It would help saved on applications fees 🫠😩.  UGA and UNC kinda straightforward and requested experience post MPH. But to have known that even though I meet the requirement the prospect candidate they are looking forward are someone with x amount of experience. 

Has anyone heard from UMN epi phd? There's only 1 from the result page. Admission said phase 2 took longer than expected, but it's almost a month from the original time they sent in the email. 

5 hours ago, MiggyMigs said:

4 hours ago, DrPHhopeful2024 said:

I agree. It would help saved on applications fees 🫠😩.  UGA and UNC kinda straightforward and requested experience post MPH. But to have known that even though I meet the requirement the prospect candidate they are looking forward are someone with x amount of experience. 

Is it better to call or email the program director about reason why my application was denied?

On 3/11/2024 at 6:20 AM, Pubmed22 said:

Has anyone heard back from Yale for the PhD in public health SBS concentration ? 

Nope! I know their interview day was last month but was not invited. Crickets since December. I'm wondering if they send all acceptances and rejections at the same time, or maybe have an internal waitlist?