PhD/DrPH (Public Health) Fall 2024 - The Grad Cafe Forums

PHD-DRPH

Re: patterns with JHU results, it seems to me that acceptances are being released in batches by concentration/track. The first few acceptances posted this morning were for Environmental, then a bit later someone posted an acceptance for Global Health, then the most recent acceptances were for Health Policy & Management. I imagine we might hear from some folks about acceptances for Implementation Science and Women's and Repro Health before the end of the day.

For those of us who are still "under review" for those concentrations/tracks that have already released some acceptances, I think it's likely bad news. I'm personally planning to stock up on my favorite sweet treats in preparation for a rejection notice tomorrow. I'll allow myself to be disappointed for a day or two. But there is always another cycle next year if some of us choose to apply again!

Another heartfelt congratulations to those who were accepted today! You should all be very proud!

8 minutes ago, hoping_for_hopkins said:

Re: patterns with JHU results, it seems to me that acceptances are being released in batches by concentration/track. The first few acceptances posted this morning were for Environmental, then a bit later someone posted an acceptance for Global Health, then the most recent acceptances were for Health Policy & Management. I imagine we might hear from some folks about acceptances for Implementation Science and Women's and Repro Health before the end of the day.

For those of us who are still "under review" for those concentrations/tracks that have already released some acceptances, I think it's likely bad news. I'm personally planning to stock up on my favorite sweet treats in preparation for a rejection notice tomorrow. I'll allow myself to be disappointed for a day or two. But there is always another cycle next year if some of us choose to apply again!

Another heartfelt congratulations to those who were accepted today! You should all be very proud!

That's my expectation too. Maybe they left a few slots in some of the concentrations to later "argue it out," For instance, there may be people who the admissions committee maybe be really struggling to make a determination between, but in general, I think it's a no for most of us waiting.

43 minutes ago, hoping_for_hopkins said:

I agree with you re: bad news. I'm just surprised, I guess. I thought I was a really good fit both in my experience and my career vision. Alas. I wonder if it's possible to know what would make a stronger candidate. 

6 hours ago, DelaineTheBrain said:

Not yet :( My husband sent me to a spa for the day where they are locking up my phone because I'm losing it...  Hopefully, we'll all know something by my return tonight 🫠

Received an email to check portal at 1:09 pm CST. Accepted into the HE & SJ Concentration. No interview. Good luck to all! ❤️ 

14 minutes ago, DelaineTheBrain said:

Received an email to check portal at 1:09 pm CST. Accepted into the HE & SJ Concentration. No interview. Good luck to all! ❤️ 

Congratulations! That's wonderful. 

1 hour ago, Maydayx said:

Does anyone know how many DrPH students JHU admits each year?

90-110 per cohort, per JHU DrPH website

Edited by wurtzite

Received a rejection from USF this morning. I was devastated because I was looking forward to studying at USF as an in-state student.

Now, I have received an email from JHU to check the portal. I'm at work, and very scared of opening the portal.

3 hours ago, sandia_sunflower said:

I'm hoping that they are just giving the latest possible date, just in case - but that decisions will come a bit earlier. fingers crossed 🤞 Good luck to you as well :)

I just emailed UNMC admissions today about their timeline. They said the reviewers for the Advocacy and Leadership concentration are hoping to have decisions by April 1, with the admissions office communicating decisions soon afterward. So hopefully we will hear something in the beginning of April, at least for that concentration (not sure about the other two concentrations).

11 minutes ago, DrPHhopeful2024 said:

Long time lurker here. I was waitlisted for JHU DrPH - Implementation Science concentration. Checked the portal around 2:30pm and saw the status was updated. No interview. Good luck to all those still waiting!

Sorry about being waitlisted. I just checked the portal and mine still says Application Under Review. No email. I don’t think it’s good news for me unfortunately but I guess tomorrow will tell. 

2 hours ago, Maydayx said:

Does anyone know how many DrPH students JHU admits each year?

My colleague is in the JHU DrPH program and she heard that they admitted 110 students this year. I think most years it is in the 100-110 range, with varying numbers in each concentration.

40 minutes ago, Squashplayer000 said:

Received a rejection from USF this morning. I was devastated because I was looking forward to studying at USF as an in-state student.

Now, I have received an email from JHU to check the portal. I'm at work, and very scared of opening the portal.

Rooting for you! ❤️

20 minutes ago, EpiCurvesandCrochet said:

How are my JHU “under review” peeps feeling? I don’t know how I’m supposed to sleep tonight. 

I cried a bunch. My husband ordered takeout for solace. I'll try again next year. 

42 minutes ago, EpiCurvesandCrochet said:

How are my JHU “under review” peeps feeling? I don’t know how I’m supposed to sleep tonight. 

Like I want to throw up and cry. No sleep for me. My PI will be thrilled at my productivity…. 😢😖

2 hours ago, Squashplayer000 said:

I’m almost certain you’re accepted or WL by jhu considering the pattern of them sending out emails (non-rejections today apparently) 

3 minutes ago, Ikigai1896 said:

I’m almost certain you’re accepted or WL by jhu considering the pattern of them sending out emails (non-rejections today apparently) 

Wait, JHU sent out only acceptance letters today for the DrPH programs?

5 minutes ago, PublicSci said:

Wait, JHU sent out only acceptance letters today for the DrPH programs?

I haven’t seen any JHU DrPH postings here about a rejection yet- correct me if I may have missed it