Few questions

Hello,

I have completed my SOP but I am still unsure about a few things:

For one, I haven’t mentioned that with which professor I would like to work and why. I have mentioned the research I would like to pursue and what I would like to do but I haven’t specifically named any professor because I read somewhere that there is no need to get specific because what if that professor is leaving etc etc

Also, I have almost two years of professional experience and no teaching experience, is it a bad thing or a good thing?

Also it would be really helpful if anyone would be willing to go over my SOP and give suggestions as I don’t have anyone around me to help me out with the critique

Regards

For one, I haven’t mentioned that with which professor I would like to work and why. I have mentioned the research I would like to pursue and what I would like to do but I haven’t specifically named any professor because I read somewhere that there is no need to get specific because what if that professor is leaving etc etc

Regards

First, it depends a lot on your field of study. I have recently found out that those applying to PhD programs in English must not try to contact professors. On the other hand, if you are in sciences, you are strongly recommended to do so.

Second, that is exactly why you should contact professors - to learn if they are leaving the year you hope to enroll! If they are - just do not apply to this school, you will save time and money.

Hey speed,

It can be useful to mention the prof(s) you want to work with, particularly in the sciences (In Humanities - such as English, I don't think it's necessary from what I've heard). The reason for this is that in the sciences, often times you will have to be aligned with a group or lab during your grad studies, and therefore the prof in charge of the group(s) you are interested in would have to look at your application to decide if they want to have you in their group (assuming, of course, your application is good enough to get accepted). If there is no prof that has space for you in their group or who thinks you would be a good fit for their group then you will probably be rejected even though your application is good enough to be accepted. Sometimes, applications can 'fall through the cracks' and the profs in the group you want to work with don't see your application and you end up getting rejected. Mentioning the prof(s) you want to work with helps to ensure that the profs in the area you want to work with look at your application. At one school, a prof advised me to email him when I had applied so that he could make sure to look out for my application.

If you still need someone to look over your SoP, I will be happy to do so.

Some places where I am applying you need to address the professor. It's all about who has money because in the end that person will be the one who says I want him/her. If the larger program has a few people focusing on like issues I'll articulate like you did.

First, it depends a lot on your field of study. I have recently found out that those applying to PhD programs in English must not try to contact professors.

I know this is off topic from the original question, and I know that contacting profs pre-application in English is a contentious topic, but I just feel compelled to throw this out there.

I disagree that English applicants "must not" contact potential professors. Certainly applicants are safest not contacting anyone, because they do not run the risk of "pulling a boner" (as my grandfather would hilariously say). But it can in some cases and in certain circumstances be quite helpful; I know for a fact that contacting professors helped me (with regard to admission in one case and fellowship awards alongside admission in two other cases), because the profs whom I contacted and who advocated for my application told me so. And I only contacted professors in the first place because of advice from my own undergrad mentors.

Nevertheless, I wouldn't go out advising all (or most) applicants to contact professors. It's true that it is a risky move, and in most cases is not worth it (frankly, I am lucky that I managed to not screw it up, especially considering how clueless I was before applying). It is equally true that it can pay off in particular circumstances, with particular faculty members and particular applicants.

Just to go confusing the poor applicants even more!! Sorry.

Edited by Pamphilia