Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill NC

For people that live in the Carrboro/Chapel Hill area, where do you suggest living? I'd like to keep my commute <2miles if possible, though I'm open to living further than that if necessary. Also I'm looking for something <$800/month for a 1br if possible; I definitely prefer living alone as opposed to with someone else. Was looking at GSC properties but from the looks on apartment review websites they're pretty bad.

Also, how scooter/motorcycle friendly is the area? I've been toying with the idea so that I could live further away and not have to deal with the parking prices at UNC for a car.

I had a friend in undergrad who had a 1 bedroom in The Chateau (I believe that's what it was called? It's right off of 15-501 on Poplar in Carrboro) and her rent was around $600/month. Carrboro/Chapel Hill is very bike/scooter/etc friendly. Hawthorne at the View is under $800 I believe and is closer to Durham. Stratford Hills on MLK is also under $800, and there are a few other apartment complexes on that road to look into.

I had a friend in undergrad who had a 1 bedroom in The Chateau (I believe that's what it was called? It's right off of 15-501 on Poplar in Carrboro) and her rent was around $600/month. Carrboro/Chapel Hill is very bike/scooter/etc friendly. Hawthorne at the View is under $800 I believe and is closer to Durham. Stratford Hills on MLK is also under $800, and there are a few other apartment complexes on that road to look into.

How much would you have to add for utilities on top of that?

Edited by EmperorRyker

A ton of grad students live at the Chateau. It's considered one of the more inexpensive and comfortable complexes in CH/Carrboro. Living alone in CH will cost more--in the range of 800+ with utilities, but in Carrboro you can find something for closer to 600-700. 

A ton of grad students live at the Chateau. It's considered one of the more inexpensive and comfortable complexes in CH/Carrboro. Living alone in CH will cost more--in the range of 800+ with utilities, but in Carrboro you can find something for closer to 600-700. 

I don't want to spam, but I'd like to again express the question of how much utilities in general add up to in CH/Carrboro for a 1BR apartment in, say, The Chateau or some other apartment complex.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I'm an international student and most likely will be starting my studies at Duke this Fall. I am trying to get some info on living in Durham and this thread has been really helpful. However, as some of the info is a little dated and other things have not been discussed, I'd like to ask some questions:

1. First of all, accommodation is my concern. I would like to find a place to stay, preferably within max 2 miles from the Chapel (so that I could easily cycle), preferably within duke safe ride's range, and preferably next to a bus line (2 of the 3 are a must ;)) Given those criteria, is it possible to find a studio/1br apartment that will cost no more than 500$ per month INCLUDING utilities? I don't care about the standard too much, and neither do I care about amenities like swimming pool, parking, gym, cable tv, etc. I would prefer there to be a washing machine / dryer but having one in the communal area is fine too. I know this would be difficult, but is it even possible? Or what if i share a 2BR/3BR, can I go down with my budget to 400$ per month including utilities? 

2. How do i get from the airport in Raleigh to Durham? I couldn't find any info on public transportation. Is there a train or bus to the city? 

3. What is the best place stay when searching for accommodation upon arrival? I would prefer not to apply for accommodation over the internet but rather do it in person. Is there a hostel in the vicinity of Duke? I am looking for the cheapest but also most convenient option. 

4. How do I travel around when checking out different apartments? Should I get a bike on day 1 or do agents usually pick you up and drop you off? Or is walking safe enough during day time? 

thanks!

1) Can't help ya with that one since I'm in Raleigh.

2) Bus system - http://www.triangletransit.org/

You might be better off taking a taxi when you get in, so you can travel directly to your destination.

3) Hostels aren't very common in the US. You could look for a budget hotel or motel while you search for accommodations, couchsurf, or maybe get in touch with someone from your department to see if a current student would let you crash for a few days.

4) This may be of help - http://www.gotriangle.org/go-local/partners/duke-transit/

Good luck!

1) Can't help ya with that one since I'm in Raleigh.

2) Bus system - http://www.triangletransit.org/

You might be better off taking a taxi when you get in, so you can travel directly to your destination.

3) Hostels aren't very common in the US. You could look for a budget hotel or motel while you search for accommodations, couchsurf, or maybe get in touch with someone from your department to see if a current student would let you crash for a few days.

4) This may be of help - http://www.gotriangle.org/go-local/partners/duke-transit/

Good luck!

Many thanks!

Perhaps someone from Durham here could help answering (1)? 

Hello, I'm an international student and most likely will be starting my studies at Duke this Fall. I am trying to get some info on living in Durham and this thread has been really helpful. However, as some of the info is a little dated and other things have not been discussed, I'd like to ask some questions:

1. First of all, accommodation is my concern. I would like to find a place to stay, preferably within max 2 miles from the Chapel (so that I could easily cycle), preferably within duke safe ride's range, and preferably next to a bus line (2 of the 3 are a must ;)) Given those criteria, is it possible to find a studio/1br apartment that will cost no more than 500$ per month INCLUDING utilities? I don't care about the standard too much, and neither do I care about amenities like swimming pool, parking, gym, cable tv, etc. I would prefer there to be a washing machine / dryer but having one in the communal area is fine too. I know this would be difficult, but is it even possible? Or what if i share a 2BR/3BR, can I go down with my budget to 400$ per month including utilities? 

2. How do i get from the airport in Raleigh to Durham? I couldn't find any info on public transportation. Is there a train or bus to the city? 

3. What is the best place stay when searching for accommodation upon arrival? I would prefer not to apply for accommodation over the internet but rather do it in person. Is there a hostel in the vicinity of Duke? I am looking for the cheapest but also most convenient option. 

4. How do I travel around when checking out different apartments? Should I get a bike on day 1 or do agents usually pick you up and drop you off? Or is walking safe enough during day time? 

thanks!

Just to add to what 33andathirdRPM already wrote, 

1. Finding something for less than $500 could be pretty difficult. The best way to do this might be to find a roommate, (perhaps in your cohort if you've met a few people already?) and share a 2 bedroom place. Renting is a lot cheaper in Durham than Chapel Hill/Carrboro, but still not cheap. 

2. As already mentioned, bus is possible, but taxi is far easier.

3. Not really sure, can you stay with a current graduate student you've met?

4. I would try zipcar.

On 3/20/2014 at 9:39 PM, EmperorRyker said:

I don't want to spam, but I'd like to again express the question of how much utilities in general add up to in CH/Carrboro for a 1BR apartment in, say, The Chateau or some other apartment complex.

Sorry for the delay -- just saw this. I would say that for basic utilities (electricity, water, and gas) you're looking at under $100. But if you factor in internet and cable TV, this price might double, depending on the type of service (options, speed, etc.) you choose. 

Just to add to what 33andathirdRPM already wrote, 

1. Finding something for less than $500 could be pretty difficult. The best way to do this might be to find a roommate, (perhaps in your cohort if you've met a few people already?) and share a 2 bedroom place. Renting is a lot cheaper in Durham than Chapel Hill/Carrboro, but still not cheap. 

2. As already mentioned, bus is possible, but taxi is far easier.

3. Not really sure, can you stay with a current graduate student you've met?

4. I would try zipcar.

Cheers for the tips, I will look into zipcar. 

Unfortunately, I haven't had a chance to meet anyone from my cohort and I won't until I arrive in Durham. In fact, I don't know anyone at Duke or in Durham, present, past or future student. 

I'm sure taxi would be easiest but I'm looking into options to save some $$

I'll be attending NC State in the fall as well. I'm looking to rent a place on my own and hopefully with manageable rent at around 500-600 (utilities not included). If that sounds way too unrealistic I would consider 2B2B, but I think we all understand the difficulties and problems we may run into with roommate situations. I also want to stay away from the undergrads and stay within the graduate students at least, if not doctoral students. I have to move out of my current place by the end of May and am planning to move to Raleigh right then because I'm going back home to China for the summer and would like to get everything settled before I leave in June.

All advice appreciated!

Is it risky to wait with accommodation hunting till arrival in Durham? I'll be probably coming around end of July/beginning of August and I am wondering if there will be any decent houses/apartments left... 

Durham has a big selection of housing options, but it's always helpful to make contact with potential places ahead of time. I'd also suggest contacting current students and asking them for advice, which is what I did when I moved to the area. 

Cheers for the tips, I will look into zipcar. 

Unfortunately, I haven't had a chance to meet anyone from my cohort and I won't until I arrive in Durham. In fact, I don't know anyone at Duke or in Durham, present, past or future student. 

I'm sure taxi would be easiest but I'm looking into options to save some $$

Regarding looking for housing, it might be helpful to email the head of your program's graduate student organization to see if a current graduate student would be willing to do a walk-through of an apartment you're very interested in renting. (I'm also looking for housing in the Chapel Hill/Durham area, and I've noticed that many landlords require that prospective tenants or someone representing them see the apartment prior to submitting a rental application.)  While I am coming from within the U.S., I am in the same position that I will need to rent without seeing the apartment first. I've found that the current students in my department are happy to attend an apartment showing on my behalf.

This is only my personal opinion, but I would suggest setting up a rental prior to your arrival. This is my first year renting in the Triangle area, but I wouldn't be surprised if properties that are affordable but also in a nice/convenient area are rented prior to early August. Considering the number of students in the Triangle area, I'm sure August rentals are in fairly high demand.

I'll be attending NC State in the fall as well. I'm looking to rent a place on my own and hopefully with manageable rent at around 500-600 (utilities not included). If that sounds way too unrealistic I would consider 2B2B, but I think we all understand the difficulties and problems we may run into with roommate situations. I also want to stay away from the undergrads and stay within the graduate students at least, if not doctoral students. I have to move out of my current place by the end of May and am planning to move to Raleigh right then because I'm going back home to China for the summer and would like to get everything settled before I leave in June.

All advice appreciated!

600 for a one bedroom is possible but somewhat tricky here. Try looking at units along Gorman or Avent Ferry to start.

Edit: Even if you are near undergraduates, I don't think it would be an issue. Things are pretty tame around campus. I was worried about near to the dudebro party scene but, honestly, students here are pretty well behaved.

Edited by 33andathirdRPM

• 11 months later...

I'll be attending Duke in the fall and have officially started my search for housing. It will be me, my girlfriend, and our 40 pound dog.

Based on my research, I'd really like to live near downtown Durham or in Carrboro, but I'm having a hard time finding anything online (Craigslist, Padmapper, etc..) that starts in July/August. I'd really like to secure something soon rather than waiting and having to compete with more and more students.

Does anyone have any advice? Thanks for your time.

600 for a one bedroom is possible but somewhat tricky here. Try looking at units along Gorman or Avent Ferry to start.

Edit: Even if you are near undergraduates, I don't think it would be an issue. Things are pretty tame around campus. I was worried about near to the dudebro party scene but, honestly, students here are pretty well behaved.

^^^^^ 100% True. A lot of places in the price range listed can be all-inclusive if you distance yourself from campus. The closer you get though, the higher the prices go and the more 2/3/4br places you'll find.

I'll be attending Duke in the fall and have officially started my search for housing. It will be me, my girlfriend, and our 40 pound dog.

Based on my research, I'd really like to live near downtown Durham or in Carrboro, but I'm having a hard time finding anything online (Craigslist, Padmapper, etc..) that starts in July/August. I'd really like to secure something soon rather than waiting and having to compete with more and more students.

Does anyone have any advice? Thanks for your time.

Sorry, I don't have any specific advice on places, but living in Carrboro and commuting to Durham is kind of a pain. Unless you REALLY love Carrboro (and I used to live there and I love it), I'd still live in Downtown Durham, which is also really cool. Driving down 54 and 15-501 in rush hour is just brutal.

Sorry, I don't have any specific advice on places, but living in Carrboro and commuting to Durham is kind of a pain. Unless you REALLY love Carrboro (and I used to live there and I love it), I'd still live in Downtown Durham, which is also really cool. Driving down 54 and 15-501 in rush hour is just brutal.

Thanks a lot, that's exactly the type of local knowledge I was looking for  :)

Any idea on whether it's possible to live in/near downtown Durham with a yard for a dog?

Yes definitely. There are a lot of very affordable areas in Durham. They might not be super close to downtown but that's because they are in suburbia, which is why you could afford them. I can't speak to specific places, but I would caution that you do some research on the neighborhoods. There are still some relatively high crime areas in Durham that I'd avoid. But there's also a lot of very nice suburbia that young professionals choose to live in.

Unfortunately there are not any complexes in Carrboro that I would consider within walking distance. However, many would definitely be in biking distance, which is what a lot of people do. I can personally recommend Autumn Woods if you are ok with that. Also keep in mind that the bus lines are fantastic.

Chapel Hill/Carrboro is a great area, but living in walking distance to campus is surprisingly difficult. Most of the immediate area are small houses which get rented by undergrads. Also, as soon as you get outside walking distance things become much, much more affordable to the point where, in my calculation, it is totally worth it. And you quickly escape the undergrads which trust me, you'll want.

I'm an international student and I'm going to be attending Duke. I spent a summer at Duke itself 2 years ago (staying in University Apartments) so I have a vague idea of the area but not much detail...I had a couple of questions:

1. I'm not going to own a car and all the research labs I'm interested are on the edge of West Campus (Science drive/Research drive). So I thought it would be best to stay near there. Does anyone have any tips about apartments in that area?

I've talked to a few people and googled a bit and narrowed it down to 4 places: Heights La Salle, Erwin Terrace, Trinity Commons, and Belmont.Is there anything I should know about any of these 4?

My main concern is safety, then cleanliness (no bedbugs please!). I don't mind noise, and the 'stupider' amenities (swimming pools, etc) I don't care about. I'm willing to spend upto 800 if forced to.

2. Erwin Mill and Station 9 (near East Campus),  and Erwin Terrace all seem to be favoured by undergrads. I've read a lot of complaints about the noise and dirt in undergrad housing -- is it as bad as the hype? And, if I choose these places will I be the only grad student there or is there a small number already there?

3. I'm guessing none of these places are furnished...so how do people generally go about moving in? And to what level do we have to buy our own? Mattress? The solid bed itself? Stove? Or is this all variable?

4. Any other tips (housing/living in Durham/anything!) will be much appreciated  :)

Edited by berba9