Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill NC

When do people generally start finding fall housing in the area? Are students already securing their leases? And do students generally pay for the summer before a term starts or after? That is to say, we're planning on moving to Durham in August and would prefer to not pay for June and July.... Thanks for any insights!

Reposting because I'm in a similar situation. I'm looking for a place in Raleigh, and I'd like to start the search as soon as is feasible.

Thanks in advance for advice on this matter. :)

Most places around the triangle that a typical grad would WANT to live do not do pre-leasing. The places that do pre-leasing are usually more geared for undergraduates moving off campus. In chapel hill, renting close to campus, you will want to start looking now until June, and then pretty much start calling to inquire how far out you can sign a lease. It all depends on when their current tenants are moving out. Most rental units in Durham want immediate leasing, as well as Raleigh. If you are looking for the fall, most tenants don't have to give more than 30 to 60 days notice to vacate at the end of their lease, so you may not find a lot of openings until may or June. It never hurts to call and ask if you have found an apartment or rental home that you are highly interested in. If you go through a property mangement co, often times they will list the available by date on their web listing.

Good luck you guys!

On 3/13/2013 at 11:23 AM, iowaguy said:

Another biking question:  if I bought a house in Old West Durham, is it fairly easy to get to campus via bike?  Looking at a map, I don't see any bike lanes that would take me all the way there...  Do many people bike to campus from there?  Is the highway and railroad crossing safe/easy?

Hoping I can leave my car parked for most of the year and only use it on out-of-town trips!

I'm not sure, but maybe this would help? http://bikeduke.com/biking-at-duke/

Or this? http://nicomachus.net/maps/durham/

Yikes - thanks for the warning!  I ended up in a terrible apartment complex in Houston for part of my MA program...definitely not anxious to repeat that experience! :P

I'm looking for a 1 bedroom apartment that will allow my cat.  Hoping to spend not too much more than $700/month (plus utilities), if possible?  Any suggestions you have would be VERY greatly appreciated! :D Thanks!

I did my undergrad at UNC and I lived at University Apartments for my last 2 years. Its not just for students, its just close to the University so they call it University apartments (I asked). I really liked it. It was super close to campus and everything was included in the rent. Last year they renovated everything so it looks really nice. It comes with the furniture too which I liked because being in college, I wasn't about to spend a ton of money on furniture and I didn't want to get cheap furniture that I would never use again. Its 885 but that includes all the utilities with cable and internet. I know they allow pets too. I had a cat when I lived there. Anyway I looked around a lot before I decided to live there and it definitely is the best place to be. You should check it out.  =)

Oh and I know they do preleasing too because I signed the lease for my apartment way back in April and didn't move in until August. I saw someone had a question about that too

Edited by mandapanda

I did my undergrad at UNC and I lived at University Apartments for my last 2 years. Its not just for students, its just close to the University so they call it University apartments (I asked). I really liked it. It was super close to campus and everything was included in the rent. Last year they renovated everything so it looks really nice. It comes with the furniture too which I liked because being in college, I wasn't about to spend a ton of money on furniture and I didn't want to get cheap furniture that I would never use again. Its 885 but that includes all the utilities with cable and internet. I know they allow pets too. I had a cat when I lived there. Anyway I looked around a lot before I decided to live there and it definitely is the best place to be. You should check it out.  =)

Oh and I know they do preleasing too because I signed the lease for my apartment way back in April and didn't move in until August. I saw someone had a question about that too

Did you walk, bike or drive to campus?

It is almost unheard of for students at UNC to drive to campus on a day-to-day basis. Staff members can barely get parking, much less students. There is limited parking for students living on campus, and a few precious spaces for off-campus and graduate students with demonstrated need. The vast majority of graduate students at UNC take the bus to/from campus. They either live in town on a bus line (routes are designed to serve apartment complexes), or use park and ride lots on the edge of town (free right now, but fees for park and ride start this fall). Some students choose to live close enough to walk, but sacrifice space and amenities for that convenience. Some bike, but bikes seem to be better for getting around campus rather than to/from campus.

Did you walk, bike or drive to campus?

I walked to campus. There's a path behind the building and it takes like 5 minutes to get to campus. There's also a bus stop in front of the building but I never used it because walking was faster and I hate taking the bus. It is really hard to get parking on campus so I figured it would be better to live super close instead. My apartment was pretty much just as close to my classes as any on campus parking spot would have been anyway. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Hopefully this is the appropriate forum to post this!

I'm an alum of UNC and currently working at UNC in the psychology department before shipping off to grad school in late August.  I have a co-worker who is trying to sublet her bedroom (in Carrboro) over the summer for two months, starting near the end of May.  She's extremely flexible with the price and move-in time, and a really pleasant person.

If you're interested or want more information, please PM me and I'll give you her contact information.  Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I'm going to Duke this fall and am currently looking at apartments. Me and my friend are going to share an apartment, we're currently looking at the Georgetown by Trinity, at 1000 Duke Street. It seems like it'll be a 10-minute walk to a bus top then i can take the East-West shuttle to get to my building. Does anyone have any opinions about this area? I read the housing report on it, but it was based on only 6 residents and I'd like to hear more if possible. Neither of us have a car, so I'm really looking at closeby places where we can take the bus. I'm mainly concerned about safety - I know it's been said that Durham can be a bit shady, but I just wonder... how shady is shady? Can I still walk from the bus stop home safely if it's not dark yet? Thanks a ton for any suggestion/ help!

Hi all,

I'm going to Duke this fall and am currently looking at apartments. Me and my friend are going to share an apartment, we're currently looking at the Georgetown by Trinity, at 1000 Duke Street. It seems like it'll be a 10-minute walk to a bus top then i can take the East-West shuttle to get to my building. Does anyone have any opinions about this area? I read the housing report on it, but it was based on only 6 residents and I'd like to hear more if possible. Neither of us have a car, so I'm really looking at closeby places where we can take the bus. I'm mainly concerned about safety - I know it's been said that Durham can be a bit shady, but I just wonder... how shady is shady? Can I still walk from the bus stop home safely if it's not dark yet? Thanks a ton for any suggestion/ help!

I can't be of much help, since I myself am foreign to the area. I was actually wondering if you could post a link to the report you're talking about. I would love to have something like that to refer to...

Hi all,

I'm mainly concerned about safety - I know it's been said that Durham can be a bit shady, but I just wonder... how shady is shady? Can I still walk from the bus stop home safely if it's not dark yet?

Yes you can walk home from the bus stop in the daytime safely...as you can in pretty much any city in the US.

I can't be of much help, since I myself am foreign to the area. I was actually wondering if you could post a link to the report you're talking about. I would love to have something like that to refer to...

Sure, here they are:

http://econ.duke.edu/uploads/assets/2009ApartmentSurvey.pdf

http://studentaffairs.duke.edu/sites/default/files/2008%20Apartment%20Complex%20Report_2.pdf

Anyone still looking for housing for the fall? I live in Southwest Durham, 15-20 minutes from UNC/10-15 minutes from Duke & I'm moving away for grad school and want to rent this place out. It's a 3 yr old completely furnished townhome 2 bed/2 bath in a nice area in Durham - around Hope Valley & down the street from Southpoint with close access to 40 & 15-501. Let me know if you're interested! 

• 3 weeks later...

33andathird: PM Sent!

I've been looking for housing options within walking distance of NCSU.

In general, I've just been looking around on Craigslist.  It seems like things are nice and more expensive just north of campus, and cheap and a bit sketchy just west of campus.  I've never seen an area where rent varies between one neighborhood and another by 100% when they're right next to each other, so I'm kinda surprised.

I was able to go drive around and walk around a bit when I visited, and it seems like there are lots of housing options and neighborhoods are really... how shall I put this... pockety?  As in, you'll have a couple blocks where it feels nice, and then there will be a few blocks near a convenience score that seem a bit sketchy, and then a block with a run-down-apartment complex, and then a bit later an area with some nicely maintained cute houses.  Not so easy to just say "live in this area!"

Apparently I'm near the end of a large waitlist for the brand new housing they're building on centennial campus (which has a graduate-exclusive area) so I'm pretty much giving up on that.

Edited by JPeterman

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Hey All,

It's looking more and more like I will be ending up at NCSU for the next few years. Has anyone had any experience with Western Manor or E.S. King apartments in the past year or so that you wouldn't mind sharing? I will be moving with my wife, our 2 year old, and we're hoping to have another child in the next year or so. Are these apartments close enough to walk/bike to campus? Are the bus lines in the area convenient for travel overall? We will have 1 car but I would like to use public transit for the most part.

We were hoping to get a 3BR in our price range but I'm not sure if that is feasible. My quick read through of the thread focused mostly on Chapel Hill and I'm quickly running out of time on my lunch break. If anyone has suggestions for 3BR apartments or houses in Raleigh, that would be wonderful too!

Thanks!

Hi Meanyus! I'm piggybacking off your question because I am in the same boat and some of the information here is pretty outdated. (This thread started in 2006 and a LOT has changed since then!) I am also looking at E.S. King at the moment, and I will let you know a little more what it's like when I go and visit pretty soon! 

I have never been to North Carolina, much less Raleigh, so if this thread had a revival, it would be very much appreciated!!

Hey All,

It's looking more and more like I will be ending up at NCSU for the next few years. Has anyone had any experience with Western Manor or E.S. King apartments in the past year or so that you wouldn't mind sharing? I will be moving with my wife, our 2 year old, and we're hoping to have another child in the next year or so. Are these apartments close enough to walk/bike to campus? Are the bus lines in the area convenient for travel overall? We will have 1 car but I would like to use public transit for the most part.

We were hoping to get a 3BR in our price range but I'm not sure if that is feasible. My quick read through of the thread focused mostly on Chapel Hill and I'm quickly running out of time on my lunch break. If anyone has suggestions for 3BR apartments or houses in Raleigh, that would be wonderful too!

Thanks!

You can easily walk to class from those apartments. Also, there are multiple bus lines that pass near the intersection of Western Blvd and Avent Ferry Rd. Biking is possible but less than optimal because drivers here are neither pedestrian friendly nor biker friendly.

Note that the campus bus system (WolfLine) is dependable and expedient, particularly during rush hour. Using public transportation to get around Raleigh or to the other cities in "the Triangle" is at times a headache but is possible. A combination of walking, biking, and public transportation along with a car for longer trips or what not should serve you well.

If anyone has any lingering questions about Raleigh or the NCSU campus area, feel free to post them here or, if necessary, send me a pm.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! I've lived in Durham for the past five years, and in the central NC region for my whole life. So also feel free to ask me any questions. Cost of living here is amazingly low, I wish I wasn't moving to such an expensive city (Seattle)!

The weather here is pretty bipolar. And the humidity in the summer can be killer. Other than that, Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill aren't big cities, but I think there's always something fun to do!

• 2 weeks later...

I will be attending Duke this Fall. Anyone knows good places to rent apartment at walking distance to Duke West Campus? Is it safe living around Duke? i heard it is a bit shady? Thanks :D

Edited by proboy92

I work at Duke, and the non-university owned apartments by campus are pretty shady. The Ticon property someone mentioned is nice- I was going to apply to live there, but they didn't have any available units. Further out are Featherstone Village (never been, but know people who like it) and the Phillips Park RTP apartments (about a 10 minute drive to campus). If possible, I recommend you get a car- public transportation in Durham isn't very good, and it's not as easy to get around the triangle via bus. I actually ended up living in Chapel Hill by the outskirts of Durham, since I travel a lot between Durham, Chapel Hill, and Carrboro.