Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill NC

Can't comment on the individual places. But best of luck living in Durham w/out a car! NC is not very public transportation friendly.

Every apartment I've ever been to (that's unfurnished) will come with your basic appliances -- stove, fridge, and maybe a washer/dryer, but that is not certain. If it's unfurnished you'll very likely need to provide everything else including a bed/mattress. However, you're in a high-density college area so Craigslist is your friend. you'll be able to find some awesome deals, but you may have to rent a truck to move the furniture!

I'm an international student and I'm going to be attending Duke. I spent a summer at Duke itself 2 years ago (staying in University Apartments) so I have a vague idea of the area but not much detail...I had a couple of questions:

1. I'm not going to own a car and all the research labs I'm interested are on the edge of West Campus (Science drive/Research drive). So I thought it would be best to stay near there. Does anyone have any tips about apartments in that area?

I've talked to a few people and googled a bit and narrowed it down to 4 places: Heights La Salle, Erwin Terrace, Trinity Commons, and Belmont.Is there anything I should know about any of these 4?

My main concern is safety, then cleanliness (no bedbugs please!). I don't mind noise, and the 'stupider' amenities (swimming pools, etc) I don't care about. I'm willing to spend upto 800 if forced to.

2. Erwin Mill and Station 9 (near East Campus),  and Erwin Terrace all seem to be favoured by undergrads. I've read a lot of complaints about the noise and dirt in undergrad housing -- is it as bad as the hype? And, if I choose these places will I be the only grad student there or is there a small number already there?

3. I'm guessing none of these places are furnished...so how do people generally go about moving in? And to what level do we have to buy our own? Mattress? The solid bed itself? Stove? Or is this all variable?

4. Any other tips (housing/living in Durham/anything!) will be much appreciated  :)

Hey!

I did my undergrad at Duke and am originally from NC, so I can comment on a few of these. I didn't live off campus, but had several friends do this. 

As for those four apartments, my vote would be for the Belmont. It's nice and relatively affordable. I think Erwin Terrace is pretty expensive but if your price range is flexible, then Erwin Terrace is definitely a nice option. 

I didn't have a car during my first year and had one for the final three, and in my opinion, you really need a car or friends who have cars. While you can walk all over campus and science drive is close to the Bryan Center and the LSRC, getting off campus will be a hassle unless you want to be confined to that area near Chipotle on west or Ninth Street on east. I think the Robertson bus still runs to UNC-CH and sometimes, we'd take a UNC bus from there to Southpoint Mall. But, there are a lot of connecting buses and plates in the air, so you might find yourself waiting.

Durham does have DATA buses, but I've never taken them. I don't think Durham is very public transportation friendly in general. 

Apartments in NC are generally unfurnished and you'll have to get your own mattress and box spring and bed frame, but it'll come with a stove/oven, and fridge, I believe, in general. 

For moving in, I think a lot of people store their stuff with friends or storage facilities in the area. They're usually pretty cheap and most people will share one. People also pool their money together to rent Uhaul trucks. 

I hope this helps! 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks a lot, I got really late in replying because of my exams and presentations...

I've seen quite a few ads for  Belmont on the international house mailing list and will try for that. From what I remember, 9th street pretty much had everything so I don't mind being confined to that area...Other than that I guess I'll have to make do with DATA buses whenever they come around!

On 5/8/2015 at 10:44 AM, berba9 said:

Thanks a lot, I got really late in replying because of my exams and presentations...

I've seen quite a few ads for  Belmont on the international house mailing list and will try for that. From what I remember, 9th street pretty much had everything so I don't mind being confined to that area...Other than that I guess I'll have to make do with DATA buses whenever they come around!

Uber is in the Triangle too now! I've taken it a number of times in NC.

Raleigh is a great place to live if you're ok with a car-centric city. It's very, very easy to drive around, it's a very affordable place to live, and there's lots of culture. Tons of young people choose to move there because of the economy. It's in a great part of the state, halfway between the beach and mountains. People, in general, who don't like Raleigh don't like having to drive everywhere. I would happily move back to Raleigh if that was where my career brought me.

• 1 month later...

Oh boo. I'll be car-less while I'm there. Thankfully there is the wolfline (I hope it's a decent service)!

Yeah it's not bad if you stay in the immediate vicinity of NC state, but having a car is really the way to go. Pretty much every undergrad has one. Not having one definitely limits your options on where you can live, though.

Yeah it's not bad if you stay in the immediate vicinity of NC state, but having a car is really the way to go. Pretty much every undergrad has one. Not having one definitely limits your options on where you can live, though.

I live right on Hillsborough a few steps away from my department (well now I just remembered one of the core lessons I taught myself during my master's about separating work and home life lol oh well!). How about shopping and food in Raleigh?

I live right on Hillsborough a few steps away from my department (well now I just remembered one of the core lessons I taught myself during my master's about separating work and home life lol oh well!). How about shopping and food in Raleigh?

Well, like I said you can take buses pretty much everywhere nearby state, and you can probably watch to most of your necessary shopping, but to get anywhere outside of the immediate campus area will be pretty much impossible without driving, unfortunately. Uber does run in Raleigh now so that's always an option.

Oh boo. I'll be car-less while I'm there. Thankfully there is the wolfline (I hope it's a decent service)!

The wolfline is pretty good once classes are in session. Right now only a few routes are running. The CAT/GoRaleigh bus system is decent if you need it, but obviously takes some time; the good thing is that, as a student, you can get a calendar-year long bus pass (for Raleigh and Triangle Transit routes). It takes a while to get around but you're not paying for every trip. 

If you live near campus on Hillsborough, you can walk to Cameron Village (which has a few restaurants, public library, and a grocery store) until the wolfline route to CV is running again.

• 4 weeks later...

Not a ton of options. You're pretty much stuck between Time Warner and maybe AT&T Uverse. I don't think Verizon is there yet. I do know Google Fiber is currently being installed in some places in Raleigh.

Not to scare anyone, but there's one particular homeless person who tends to hang out around (not on, but just off of or across the street from) campus and harass people. The student facebook group has a very useful discussion: facebook.com/groups/wolfpackstudents/permalink/1005034936195556/. (That group is pretty useful, too, though full of undergrads.)

Basically, don't engage. Don't answer anyone asking for the time, because it's usually him.

Not to scare anyone, but there's one particular homeless person who tends to hang out around (not on, but just off of or across the street from) campus and harass people. The student facebook group has a very useful discussion: facebook.com/groups/wolfpackstudents/permalink/1005034936195556/. (That group is pretty useful, too, though full of undergrads.)

Basically, don't engage. Don't answer anyone asking for the time, because it's usually him. 

Is it the guy who always asks for change to get "a coffee, a water, or something"?  He's usually in a light brown down winter coat, I think.  I swear, he's given me the same song and dance 5 times in a row.  Is there anything the cops can do to get this guy help or are there some rules he's breaking that will stop the panhandling?

Is it the guy who always asks for change to get "a coffee, a water, or something"?  He's usually in a light brown down winter coat, I think.  I swear, he's given me the same song and dance 5 times in a row.  Is there anything the cops can do to get this guy help or are there some rules he's breaking that will stop the panhandling?

Probably. I've only encountered him a few times (one of which involved being propositioned), and I just keep going. I don't even respond.

He tends to be just off campus and moves around a lot, which makes it harder for campus and city police. City police don't patrol around campus as much as they do downtown (which is why he stays out of downtown), and campus police can't do anything about his off-campus behavior. I keep campus and city emergency (and non-emergency) numbers saved in my phone, because calling Raleigh Fire Department or NCSU campus police is more efficient than 911 -- and knowing about a particular organization that is very helpful for homeless folks (Love Wins). Which reminds me that I need to get an idea of the bus route to their new location in case someone needs it...

• 6 months later...

Hi everyone!

I am probably going to graduate studies at UNC and my partner to Duke, of Fall 2016. What are your opinions on housing locations? We would like to get an apartment close to main streets or walkable distance to restaurants or shops, where there is a greater presence of graduate students.

We are aware that we will still need a car in order to go to either university. 

Would you recommend living in Chapel Hill, Carrboro or Durham? Which areas? 

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi @jc2404 - I lived in Chapel Hill for undergrad and for a few years afterward, though I moved to Durham two years ago (although I still work in CH). This is a really wonderful area with a lot to offer - progressive community with great food, beer and culture, coupled with a laid-back Southern lifestyle.

I always recommend that grad students live in downtown Durham rather than in Chapel Hill/Carrboro - though you won't be able to drive to the UNC campus due to very competitive/expensive parking options. There are buses that run directly between CH and Durham regularly throughout the day. I'm spoiled because my office has a parking lot, but I do know grad students who go to UNC but live in Durham, so it is doable. Of course, most UNC grad students do live in Chapel Hill or Carrboro (Carrboro is more hippie, so it depends on the vibe you're interested in).

Most young professionals tend to gravitate to Durham because it is getting very hip these days, and CH/Carrboro is pretty overrun with undergrad students. There are also a lot of apartment complexes on the main road that runs between the two towns, though none of those would be walkable to good areas for restaurants or shopping. I prefer to live downtown where I can walk to fun places rather than live 10-15 minutes closer to CH.

Feel free to PM me if you want recommendations for a Durham housing search - it is getting pretty competitive, though rents are relatively low compared to most bigger cities. 

I'd suggest Durham if your partner is going to Duke. Chapel Hill/Carrboro is a very nice place to live, but you'll eventually feel the smallness of those two towns. I'm still at UNC, and I live in Durham. I don't commute to campus very often, since I'm barely on campus. But the commute isn't bad. There are bus options between Durham and Chapel Hill, either Triangle Transit or Robertson Scholars. The latter is a bus line that runs exclusively between UNC and Duke, and is free for Duke and UNC students. You can also drive part of the way to a park-and-ride lot, and then take Chapel Hill Transit, a free line that runs throughout Chapel Hill and Carrboro. Duke has their own bus line that will take around campus, but not much beyond. There's also the free Bull City Connector, which runs between Duke's campus, through downtown, to East Durham.

As for where to live in Durham, there are plenty of apartment complexes near Duke's campus, if that's what you want, generally around Erwin road. But if you want a house, I'd check out the following neighborhoods: Lakewood (parts of this neighborhood, at least), Old West, Watts-Hillendale, or Trinity Park. These are all relatively close to Duke's campus, though the rental market is very competitive. If you're willing to be a little further from Duke's campus, I'd recommend Northgate Park, Duke Park, Old East, or Cleveland-Holloway. The last two are probably the least gentrified of what I have mentioned, and are generally going to be cheaper.

If you do decide on Chapel Hill/Carrboro, I'd suggest going with Carrboro. You can find a great place to live in Chapel Hill, but you're probably going to be living near a lot of undergrads. Carrboro's vibe isn't for everyone, but you're generally going to be living around a more age appropriate crowd.

As long as you avoid apartment complexes, you will generally be within walking/biking distance of things to do, either in Durham or Chapel Hill/Carrboro. Durham is more spread out, but that's because it is also bigger. So if you live in Durham, you will drive more often within Durham. But if you live in Chapel Hill/Carrboro, you will find yourself driving to Durham, Raleigh, etc. more often.

• 1 month later...

Any recommendations for reasonably priced 1-bedroom apartments within walking or bus distance of NCSU's Centennial campus? I'd prefer something that's relatively quiet and not too undergrad-y, but otherwise I'm flexible.

Hello!

Does anyone have any advice on buying cars in the Triangle area? I'm getting my masters at UNC and will move in Aug. 1st, and will need a very very cheap car to get me through the two/three years there. Any good dealerships or knowing anyone selling?

Thanks!

On 3/21/2016 at 7:10 PM, mhb30 said:

Any recommendations for reasonably priced 1-bedroom apartments within walking or bus distance of NCSU's Centennial campus? I'd prefer something that's relatively quiet and not too undergrad-y, but otherwise I'm flexible.

If you're okay with renting from a homeowner, my current room will be open in June. (This is open to anyone looking for housing in Raleigh, really.)

A few miles from campus, reasonable bus ride, roommate/homeowner rents one of the three rooms (plus bathroom), lives in the other room, and the third bedroom is a guest room. Rent is very reasonable -- less than most of the student apartments. Nice, usually quiet neighborhood (mix of retirees and families). Roommate has a cat, and my/your room can be fully furnished. 

On 3/29/2016 at 10:51 AM, WriteAndKnit said:

If you're okay with renting from a homeowner, my current room will be open in June. (This is open to anyone looking for housing in Raleigh, really.)

A few miles from campus, reasonable bus ride, roommate/homeowner rents one of the three rooms (plus bathroom), lives in the other room, and the third bedroom is a guest room. Rent is very reasonable -- less than most of the student apartments. Nice, usually quiet neighborhood (mix of retirees and families). Roommate has a cat, and my/your room can be fully furnished. 

Hi WriteAndKnit - I'm actually looking for a standalone apartment, as opposed to a room (since both my husband and I need housing). If you hear of anything opening up, it would be great if you could shoot me a note!

Sure! My roommate wouldn't mind a couple, but since he owns the place he already claimed the master. However, there's a really good complex not far from campus -- I'll send you a pm :)

On March 31, 2016 at 0:11 PM, mhb30 said:

Hi WriteAndKnit - I'm actually looking for a standalone apartment, as opposed to a room (since both my husband and I need housing). If you hear of anything opening up, it would be great if you could shoot me a note!

I went to UNC undergrad and I'm familiar with the area if you have any questions. I would suggest trying the housing board or I can tell you where I lived in undergrad. It was called Alta Springs. If you split rent with your husband, it would not be bad. And it has more younger professional types because you have to be 21 to rent there. I noticed professionals and MBA students living there. 

On March 24, 2016 at 3:23 PM, lib1845 said:

Hello!

Does anyone have any advice on buying cars in the Triangle area? I'm getting my masters at UNC and will move in Aug. 1st, and will need a very very cheap car to get me through the two/three years there. Any good dealerships or knowing anyone selling?

Thanks!

I messaged you about cars but I'm not selling one. Check CarMax. You can also view classifieds on newsobserver.com. That's the newspaper here.

Hey all - I was accepted off the wait list into UNC over the weekend and am going to accept the offer. I'm very excited and have just started looking into housing etc. for me and my boyfriend (we are looking to rent a pet-friendly house together), but we have never been to the area and live overseas so will not be able to visit before renting.

Does anyone know anything about living a bit further from campus (we are looking at Hillsborough for example) to save money?
Is it worth it given that I will have to drive a bit further into campus every day? 

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

14 hours ago, kwils76 said:

Hey all - I was accepted off the wait list into UNC over the weekend and am going to accept the offer. I'm very excited and have just started looking into housing etc. for me and my boyfriend (we are looking to rent a pet-friendly house together), but we have never been to the area and live overseas so will not be able to visit before renting.

Does anyone know anything about living a bit further from campus (we are looking at Hillsborough for example) to save money?
Is it worth it given that I will have to drive a bit further into campus every day? 

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

I messaged you. it depends what you're looking for. I haven't been to Hillsborough personally. I lived in Downing Creek one year. My ex boyfriend used Acorn + Oak property management I think for his place. I didn't live with him. http://www.acorn-oak.com/en/

He lived on Cotton Street one year. I didn't know anyone who lived that far away from campus but I wasn't a grad student. Another year he lived on Brookside Dr. Both are close to campus. If you want to be more part of the college town atmosphere, then I would probably live closer to the campus. Like I said, I have never been to Hillsborough so I cannot comment on it. @kwils76