Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill NC

Parking in Chapel Hill? Um, non-existent. If you are a grad student living on campus you get a guaranteed space,, but it is only good at your house no where else. As for the rest of the town there are meters & parking decks everywhere but expect to pay well to use them. Nearby Carrboro however has free parking everywhere. Only downtown Chapel Hill & campus is tight. On the bright side Chapel Hill / Carrboro has a great public transportation systems and its completely free. Most anywhere you want to go in town has a bus coming by every 10-20 minutes. Because of this however UNC will not give you a parking permit on campus if you live off campus within range of the public transportation system.

Seriously though you can get by on the buses. I only use my car if I'm going to the grocery store or going out of town.

I'll be commuting from Cary for at least a few months, so what the parking situation be like then? Would out-of-town commuters get a pass then?

So, say I was going to live in Carborro; it would be pretty easy to store a car in the area and use my bicycle and public transportation to get everywhere?

Yes, almost definitely. I've walked to places in Carrboro from the UNC campus before, so it could quite possibly even be within walking distance, depending on where you choose to live.

Yes, almost definitely. I've walked to places in Carrboro from the UNC campus before, so it could quite possibly even be within walking distance, depending on where you choose to live.

awesome! the one final question i have is that i am used to a more urban environment -- nothing on a huge city level, but a nice main street set up with restaurants, bars, and apartments all close together. i know that the chapel hill area is somewhat rural, but is there anywhere in Carrboro which has this main street aesthetic? seems like Franklin St. has it, but from what i can gather, that is more of an undergrad area.

i'll be visiting the area this coming Thursday night through Saturday; is there anywhere i should make sure to check out?

• 3 weeks later...

I'm starting to look for housing in Chapel Hill but can't find anything I like on craiglist. Does anyone know of any landlord's websites for student/grad student housing? Any advice for finding something nice/near campus?

I highly recommend renting from glen greenstreet (coolbluerentals.com) although it looks like there's only two places left for this next year. Both of these have easy access to both the CW/CM routes and are walking distance to weaver street. I live in another of his houses right behind there and really like it. Another place to check other than craigslist is chapelhillrent.com

• 2 weeks later...

For incoming Graduate Students at UNC (and Duke if you don't mind riding the Robertson Scholars bus to their campus/incurring the parking fees to commute) If you are interested in housing - the house where I presently reside is losing a resident (due to graduation from the MBA Program) and the landlord is looking to fill the spot. We are comprised of Graduate Students and working professionals, and within walking distance to campus. For those of you unfamiliar with the area, while one could technically commute to NC State, it would probably be somewhat burdensome if you do. If you are interested

• 9 months later...

Any other suggestions for apartment hunting web sites besides craigslist? It is totally dominated by realtors and condo complexes. I'm looking for just a regular old apartment, say in a two family house in Carrboro. Does that type of housing exist down in NC? I live in Mass now and that 's the type of housing I'm used to.

Any other suggestions for apartment hunting web sites besides craigslist? It is totally dominated by realtors and condo complexes. I'm looking for just a regular old apartment, say in a two family house in Carrboro. Does that type of housing exist down in NC? I live in Mass now and that 's the type of housing I'm used to.

On craigslist, I always go into the apts/housing link and type specifically 'house' in the search so only houses come up..that might help! :) When I was looking for places that's what I did to find houses instead of apartment complexes. If you're ever in the area, another great way is just riding by the area and looking for 'for rent' signs because they're everywhere. Hope that helps somewhat.

The Triangle doesn't have the apartment houses or tenaments that are common in New England. It's also super annoying that craigslist in Raleigh doesn't have subtopics for each of the three cities. And don't get me started on the fact that the leasing agents have overrun the site. They've got to be 90% of the posters.

I would search for Carrboro duplex. Undergrads don't tend to live in duplexes in the Triangle.

Does anyone know anything about Hillmont apartmentsin Carrboro? The descriptions of their apartments seem good and the prices also seem fine and not worringly low. I haven't been able to find any reviews of these apartments.

Also, does anyone know anything about Dunlap Lilley properties(aka Jim Lilley properties) which has rentals all over Chapel Hill? They have interesting things for rent (a cottage!) but I only found one review online and it was pretty negative.

I am very excited to be attending UNC for my Physics Ph.D. next fall. I have two questions for those who can answer:

First, how long does it take to get from say, the west side of Carrboro to to Duke? My wife will be driving. Is she better off on the bus? Assume this is around 7am, perhaps before traffic picks up.

Second, how long would it take to get from the west side of Carrboro to Morrisville, specifically to the Triangle Rock Club? (If anyone has been.) Assume probably 6-7pm.

Thanks in advance, for any help.

On 3/17/2010 at 12:39 AM, ∑FORTRAN=0 said:

I am very excited to be attending UNC for my Physics Ph.D. next fall. I have two questions for those who can answer:

First, how long does it take to get from say, the west side of Carrboro to to Duke? My wife will be driving. Is she better off on the bus? Assume this is around 7am, perhaps before traffic picks up.

Second, how long would it take to get from the west side of Carrboro to Morrisville, specifically to the Triangle Rock Club? (If anyone has been.) Assume probably 6-7pm.

Thanks in advance, for any help.

From Deep Carrborro to Duke I'd say about 20-25 min at that time of the morning. Learn how to use the Old Durham-Chapel Hill Road to bypass the hateful snarl that can be 15-501 and she should be fine. I'm less familiar with the Triangle Rock Club but Morrisville I know. That's longer -- easily 30-40 min depending on evening traffic. There may be some back roads that get you off 40 for that one, too, but I'm not as familiar. I tend to hit 40 for everything outside my comfort zone.

But nothing in the area should typically take you more than 30 minutes.

Good luck and welcome! Chapel Hill is truly one of my favorite places in the world.

On 3/24/2009 at 1:36 PM, presquepartout said:

awesome! the one final question i have is that i am used to a more urban environment -- nothing on a huge city level, but a nice main street set up with restaurants, bars, and apartments all close together. i know that the chapel hill area is somewhat rural, but is there anywhere in Carrboro which has this main street aesthetic? seems like Franklin St. has it, but from what i can gather, that is more of an undergrad area.

i'll be visiting the area this coming Thursday night through Saturday; is there anywhere i should make sure to check out?

Not exactly. Franklin street is really two different atmospheres -- East Franklin and West Franklin. East Franklin is closer to the center of campus and, thus, more UG friendly. But once you cross over to West Franklin it's more community-oriented and grown-up. That's the end that is truly Carrboro versus Chapel Hill. But Franklin is basically it. However, it's a decent size strip with almost everything.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm considering Duke University and want to know a bit more about Durham. What's the atmosphere like in Durham? Is it safe? Is transportation good? Can two people survive on a 20,000 grant? (my spouse is unable to work because he's not US citizen)

Many thanks!

Hi there ,

We live in Durham. The Hubby is at Duke. We moved here from New York city and love it! We have an awesome two bedroom house about a 15 minute walk (Spring/Summer/even early fall) to the East campus for $575.00 a month. As for crime - we haven't had any problems at all - the worst to date has been late night noise from a house - but that ended after a call to the police. As for Duke itself - been here 4 years and it's been an awesome experience.

M

My partner works in IT. I can't help but wondering if Durham is a good town for IT/computer professionals? Are there plenty of job opportunities?

Peanut: The RTP is a few minutes away from Durham. It's considered the biggest research park in the USA as well as only second to Silicon valley in technology. Check out http://www.rtp.org/files/Maps/2008_rtp_map_alpha_081408.pdf for a list of companies in the RTP that your husband could contact.

M

• 1 month later...

I'm considering going to NCSU, and my partner has been offered a job in Winston-Salem. Can anyone comment on how feasible it would be to live in the middle and each commute? Anyone know of good areas to live that might work for both of us?

Thanks!

Somebody early on in this thread asked about beer/drinking in the RDCH area. I just wanted to pop in and say that we live an hour from there and go down several weekends a month specifically to get to Sam's Quick Stop, which is just down the road from Duke and boasts a truly impressive international beer selection, with many hard to find, high end and IPA labels.

Also, in Carrboro, StarrLight Mead has just opened this last year - a full service meadery! YUM.

You will not be disappointed if you are a fermentation connoisseur and choose to head there for graduate school. :)

I'm wondering the same thing. They look nice, but seem a little expensive for the area, although utilities, cable, and internet are included . Can anyone comment on student atmosphere there? I'm waitlisted at the Ashbrook Apartments in Carrboro.

Anybody know anything about baity hill on campus apartments for grad students?

Oh my god there is already a waitlist for apartments?!?

I can't even start looking because I haven't heard back from any of my schools (and it's going to take another while, I think - so I don't even know where I'll be going of if I'll be going anywhere)... Will it be too late to start looking for an apartment in May?

I can't even start looking because I haven't heard back from any of my schools (and it's going to take another while, I think - so I don't even know where I'll be going of if I'll be going anywhere)... Will it be too late to start looking for an apartment in May?

I don't think May is too late, but it would be better to start earlier, maybe April or March (if you know then where you're going). Returning students have already been signing leases for the fall, so we can't wait too long, otherwise there won't be a lot of (good) options left.

You can definitely still find apartments, don't worry! In Durham you can find plenty of complexes with open apartments in mid summer. I moved there in August and had options, although a few were full by then. Chapel Hill real estate is a bit tighter, but May will still give you plenty of time. It may be that specific, very popular complexes have waitlists- I don't know UNC-area apartments well enough to know the complex the previous commenter referred to, but that's not the norm.