Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill NC

Guest Guest
Bwahaha said:
Aaargh! I am so nervous! Where does an international student stay while looking for housing? Are there any Youth Hostels in Durham? I would not want to chose a house ove the internet :?

There are no hostels around here (definitely not a tourist attracting area). I would see if your program could arrange for a current student to host you and show you around. Otherwise, time to find a hotel!

I'm just looking for a reasonably-priced 1 bdr that's not too far from campus (preferably the south part where all the health sciences are)...

I'd try anything along the Northbound side of the J-route. The J is an excellent bus line (it is the one I'm currently on) and has service every 15 minutes to campus every morning and afternoon. While school is in session, the J bus service continues until midnight (very rare for the Chapel Hill bus service!). Additionally, when school is in session, on the weekends is a "Saferide" bus that takes (most) of that portion of the J-route to bring the incapacitated back from Franklin Street.

There are a few options out that way including but not limited to...

Sterling Bluff Apartments (kinda pricey)

Rock Creek Apartments

University Apartments

Highland Hills Apartments

The Villages Apartments

Kingswood Apartments (on Hwy 54, no Saferide service)

Laurel Ridge Apartments (also Hwy 54, no Saferide service)

The first stops on campus for this bus route are on the Med school/Health campus side...the second stop on campus is the Health Science Library. It is very convienent and this is my second year living on this route. If I were to stay here for a PhD I'd continue to live on this route.

I don't know how the residence halls are, but I was visiting this past weekend, and the married student housing isn't bad. They're pretty much brand new, and they're like little apartment buildings. I know a lot of international students live there.

But as the name implies, I believe they're only available to someone who is married or who has a family.

Guest Bwahaha

Thanks bittergrrl! It's good to hear from someone who has been there. Now I wonder whether their exhorbitant rents include utilities :? Their website doesn't give much info on that.

Guest Guest
[quote="

Avoid the University housing. Overpriced and slated for demolition in the coming years.

Is it really that bad? Does anyone know whether the rates they charge include utilities (water, elec etc.? As an international student my optionsare rather slim. I'm thinking of university housing for 1 semester while I get my nearings. Any thoughts on that?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest megoestoDuke

Hello all! I am an international student who will be attending Duke in fall 2006. I had been looking for a place to live near the Duke medical centre. I will not have a car. So I am basically looking at 2 bed/2 bath apartments which are at walking distance from Duke university medical centre (I have already found a roomie - another international student who knows my mother tongue :)). We dont want to live in an individual house as we would then be isolated from other students. In an apartment we might get a chance to meet other students and get to interact with them. Our budget is like 300 - 400$ per month, per person.

Can any of you suggest suitable apartments for us? We are both grad students and not party freaks. While we dont have any problem with the undergrads throwing parties where we live, we dont want to end up at a place where we can not sleep owing to the noise. So, may be a place with more grad students and less undergrads will suit us better? I have no idea really. Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks!

PS: I had been looking at places like Campus walk Apts, Duke manor (dropped this after reading a few horror stories in forums), Belmont (seems costly) etc.

Guest Guest
Hello all! I am an international student who will be attending Duke in fall 2006. I had been looking for a place to live near the Duke medical centre. I will not have a car. So I am basically looking at 2 bed/2 bath apartments which are at walking distance from Duke university medical centre (I have already found a roomie - another international student who knows my mother tongue :)). We dont want to live in an individual house as we would then be isolated from other students. In an apartment we might get a chance to meet other students and get to interact with them. Our budget is like 300 - 400$ per month, per person.

Can any of you suggest suitable apartments for us? We are both grad students and not party freaks. While we dont have any problem with the undergrads throwing parties where we live, we dont want to end up at a place where we can not sleep owing to the noise. So, may be a place with more grad students and less undergrads will suit us better? I have no idea really. Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks!

PS: I had been looking at places like Campus walk Apts, Duke manor (dropped this after reading a few horror stories in forums), Belmont (seems costly) etc.

Campus Walk might be your best bet. The Belmont is convenient but as you mention pricey. There are a few other places nearby (Station Nine, Erwin Terrace) that will likely be just as expensive as the Belmont or even pricier. These are the best complexes for walking distance to the Medical Center. I would also consider renting in a house or apartment building around East Campus (Old West Durham, Trinity Park, etc.). It's still walking distance to the MC if you don't mind a slightly longer walk and is easily bikeable. You can also grab the campus shuttles from East that will take you over to West Campus and Central Campus.

Guest weakknees

Hey, does anybody know anything about a building called 'the University Apartments' at 1500 Duke University Road near the Nasher Museum? I'm looking at possibly buying an apartment/condo in the building, but before I get serious I thought I'd see if this is an outright 'no' based on the area/reputation (I've only been to Durham for 2 quick days!).

Thanks!

Guest megoestoduke
Campus Walk might be your best bet. The Belmont is convenient but as you mention pricey. There are a few other places nearby (Station Nine, Erwin Terrace) that will likely be just as expensive as the Belmont or even pricier. These are the best complexes for walking distance to the Medical Center. I would also consider renting in a house or apartment building around East Campus (Old West Durham, Trinity Park, etc.). It's still walking distance to the MC if you don't mind a slightly longer walk and is easily bikeable. You can also grab the campus shuttles from East that will take you over to West Campus and Central Campus.
Thanks a lot! Campus walk does seem to be the best place for us. I will also check out where the other grad students of my department stay to make sure that I am not 'left out' :)

Guest Guest
Hey, does anybody know anything about a building called 'the University Apartments' at 1500 Duke University Road near the Nasher Museum? I'm looking at possibly buying an apartment/condo in the building, but before I get serious I thought I'd see if this is an outright 'no' based on the area/reputation (I've only been to Durham for 2 quick days!).

Thanks!

Sure. Old buildings maybe a half-mile to mile off campus. They have "character" in that the building most resemble urban apartment buildings you would find in an older city and are fairly worn in. They're pretty big for the cost (rent) and convenient to a lot of things, including the Durham Food Co-op about a third of mile to the East. There are some negatives, too. Across the street is an apartment complex known for crime problems. As you head east on Duke Univ. Road and it becomes Chapel Hill Road you go through a bit of a rougher area. I friend who lived there had some negative experiences walking to and from the Co-op rom his apartment. I would consider renting there being well aware of the rough edges.

As far as buying there... I think you'd be best served by speaking with an area realtor, and not one from the listing agency, for an assesment of how good an investment this would be. My inclination leans towards this not being a good buy based upon the area and the market in Durham in general (compare it to other developments to get a good gauge of what people can get and might expect for their money). Plus, they continue to rent these units so the complex might never reach a good mass of invested owner-occupiers which can create complications in the management and maintenance of the complex.

Guest weakknees

Hey, thanks for all the info on the University Apartments. It's really appreciated. Since I posted here, the realtor told me that there are condo fees of $200/month there, but you get very little for that money so I've decided to keep looking. It's too bad because the price was totally right ($82,000) and from what you say I think I would be okay there (not great, but okay!). Anyway, thanks again for the useful info.

• 10 months later...
  • 11 months later...

I'm seriously considering attending UNC this fall. For those familiar with the area, how necessary is a car?

Also, is housing readily available in walking distance to the campus (Hospital/Public Health part of campus, particularly)? I know they have a great bus system, but walking distance would be nice. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I did undergrad at UNC (2000-04). Having a car isnt a must, but very helpful for things like grocery shopping. Buses run throughout the city, and are free which is great. UNC is a very big school located in a not very big town, so housing is at a premium. It is expensive to live off campus. It would be hard to find a place not 'infested' with undergrads as well. Carrboro would probably be the best option. I had some good friends who lived there for a while, and it was a great place. Buses ran nearby, and it was walkable to Franklin St, campus. Senior year I lived in a small apartment near campus on Hillsborough St. It was in a nice spot, walkable to campus, also right on a bus line. Anyways, not sure what else to say, but if you have questions, let me know.

I've been accepted to UNC and am trying to decide whether I want to go there. I liked the program, campus, etc. a lot when I interviewed. I also got accepted to Emory, though, and found the faculty, program, etc. just as impressive, so I feel like "quality of life" stuff like the feel of the city, cost of living, job opportunities for my partner and so on will be factors as I decide between them. (I have one school left to visit, so I'm not making a final decision yet, but I should start trying to decide b/t UNC and Emory now, I think, so I can decline one of the offers in a timely manner.)

As far as stuff to do in the city, is Franklin St. the main deal? Do people from UNC ever go into Durham or Raleigh to do stuff? I haven't been to those cities at all. Chapel Hill seems like the kind of hippie/yuppie town that would have good farmer's markets and possibly CSAs: true or false? I know that smoking is allowed in bars/restaurants in NC -- the school took us to a nonsmoking bar for recruitment. Are there many of these, or will my asthma keep me from participating in most of the city's nightlife? (Lame I know, but one of the things I'm considering.)

Ideally I'd want to live walking/biking distance from campus or on a bus line, in a house (single family or multi family is OK) rather than an apt. complex. Craigslist makes this seem doable for our price range, assuming my partner can find a job with a salary comparable to what he earns now, which Craiglist also seems to support.

How is the job market in Chapel Hill itself? If my partner has to commute from the UNC area to RTP/Raleigh for work, will it suck? (Could it suck more than commuting in ATLANTA?)

Thanks in advance!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I am considering UNC. Does anyone know anything about living in Odum village on campus? I am coming from the other side of the country and I am really freaked out about having to look for an apartment and having to furnish it.

Their graduate student housing and it's pretty pathetic. The walls are brick, the floors are a cheap dark colored tile. The furniture is the typical cheap university furniture. You'll have a roommate, they are small, you wont be able to park in front of your building (if you have a car) and they are overpriced.

If you plan on being their for a few years go ahead and bite the buck an buy some furniture. You can always get a good deal from someone selling furniture on Craigslist.com and when you're done with it you can sell it.

Best of Luck!!!

I just got my stipend info from Duke and it's less than I expected -- $15k for the academic year. That's going to mean $1500 a month considering that I'll have to get there early to look for a place. Is that a doable budget? I have been working for a few years and am used to a proper wage! I hear that a car's essential, plus I have to fork out $3k a year for medical insurance, so I'm having a little freakout episode.

• 1 month later...

I am moving to this area in the fall. Does anyone know how difficult it is to get a NC drivers license and to register your car in the area? I am buying a car before I move, and I am trying to decide whether to register the car in NC or in my current state. I think I need a NC drivers license to register the car in NC. I have a current drivers license in another state. If anyone has more info, your help will be greatly appreciated.

• 8 months later...

Here's some of my suggestions about the Triangle. I have lived here for about 12 years now and have lived in several parts of the area and went to undergrad in UNC-CH.

Housing:

Chapel Hill: Unless you are made of money or want to live in a dump, don't. This is very, very expensive. If you want to live near to the University but don't want the huge rent/purchase price, there are 3 possibilities:

(1) Just inside Chatham County. This is just south of Southern Village and only maybe 10 minutes from campus by car. Plus there's a park and ride in Southern Village. Why do I suggest here? A postdoc at work purchased only a couple years ago a very nice, new townhouse in Chatham County for about $200k. The same place just 5 miles north would be closer to $350-400k.

(2) Carrboro. This is the hippiest place in the Triangle (They have a "Really Free Market" on weekends and a coffee shop that sells only fair trade drinks). Prices here are just slightly better than Chapel Hill. There's very well priced homes in "West Carrboro", which is maybe 5-10 minutes west along Highway 54.

(3) Hillsborough. This is the western tip of what you can consider the Triangle. Home prices here have always been very, very fair. It's got the nice, small town feel. There's a shuttle bus that runs between a park and ride here to UNC-CH. Otherwise you can take I-40 into the rest of the Triangle.

Durham: I would only suggest someone to live in Durham if they're near I-40 (which Chapel Hillians refer to as "Near Durham"). This means near the Highway 15-501 exit of I-40 (has a lot of very nice shopping centers), near the Highway 54 exit of I-40 (fairly underdeveloped, but there are a few new constructions), and near Southpoint Mall (an absolutely beautiful location filled with lots of expensive looking houses and pretty apartments). There's the old tabacco factory and storehouse areas of Durham that have been converted to residential and office space, but the further I get from I-40, the less safe I generally feel. Durham is known for its gang activity, and I personally feel uncomfortable driving around most of Durham. But that's just my opinion.

Raleigh: Don't live inside I-440. Most of it is either for the extremely rich or for someone who wants to be in a drug neighborhood. They're working on making Downtown Raleigh a 'happening' place, but they've still got awhile to go before it's there.

North Raleigh (north of I-440 and south of I-540) is very pleasant, pricing is actually on the cheap side. I might not want to be near Capital Blvd or Highway 401, there's a lot of ghettoness there. Falls of Neuse, Six Forks, Creedmoar, and Leesville Rds have lots of nice neighborhoods around them.

Wake Forest is about as far away from the 3 major universities as you can get, but it's a pleasant area. A lot of the houses are for the very rich, though. I never looked into apartments here. Not worth the commute, in my opinion.

Cary/Apex/Holly Springs might be nice to live in, if you're going to NC State. It's a bit of a drive for UNC-CH or Duke, at least until they complete a few new sections of Highway 540.

Garner would be a good place to live if you're going to NC State, it's just south of Raleigh with I-40 easily accessible. Just don't go too far and end up in Johnston County. People get in car wrecks with drunk drivers in Johnston County.

Morrisville/Brier Creek is absolutely a great place to live (can you tell where I am now?). Morrisville is the center of the Triangle geographically, so you can easily get anywhere. Brier Creek is a new area, less than a decade old, with lots of nice shopping. The prices on apartments and homes are fair as well.

Housing.gif

Shopping:

There are lots of malls and shopping centers throughout the area, but I'm going to just hit on the highlights:

Northgate Mall: drug haven, people get shot here

Southpoint Mall: My favorite mall, it's very, very new, and has lots of the shops you'd normally find in a good mall.

University Mall: This place is very small, but it's saving grace is A Southern Season, which is a wonderful place to go for gourmet foods.

Crabtree Valley Mall: Before the new malls were constructed, this was THE place to go. Still is a nice mall, a nightmare during Christmas though. They've got a lot of the usual stores. Girls, if you like baths, there's a Lush soap store here, just opened a couple months ago.

Triangle Town Center: Another of the very new malls, has the usual shops. Of interest, they have a strict minor curfew because a few months ago there was a 200 person brawl.

Cary Town Center and Crossroads at Cary: Cary Town Center is similar to Triangle Town Center, owned by the same people. Crossroads at Cary is more like a super stripmall. It takes up the space of maybe 2 malls, including parking, but it's multiple buildings. Very interesting place.

North Hills: This is the newly designated "Midtown" of Raleigh. For the past 6 years it's been getting a facelift. Very posh now, lots of nice stores. They're currently working on residential and office space.

New Hope Commons: One of the major Duke/UNC-CH shopping spots (it has a Walmart!).

Brier Creek: Big shopping center, still being built in some spots. All it needs is an electronics store (they're currently building a Best Buy) and a hardware store, then you wouldn't have to go anywhere else.

Shopping.gif

Food:

You can find everything here. But I'll quickly list off my favorites in each of the areas (although you'll have to look at a blank map to get an idea of where).

Chapel Hill/Carrboro: Cosmic Cantina (burrito), Carrburittos (duh), Elmo's Diner (diner food), Top of the Hill (American food and they brew their own beer, Chapel Hill staple), Breadman's (Southern), Spotted Dog (pub), El Rodeo (Mexican), Lime and Basil (Vietnamese), 35 Chinese (also duh)

Durham: Carolina Ale House (American, lots of beers), Ted's Montana Grill (bison burgers), Rockfish (seafood), Maggiano's (Italian), Doc Green's (salad), Tomato Jake's (pizzeria), Moe's (burrito)

Morrisville/Brier Creek: Serena's (American with a Spanish twist), Randy's (pizza), Champa's (Thai), Solomon's (Mediterranean), Trali's (Irish pub), Carolina Ale House, Moe's, Uno's (Chicago pizza), El Dorado (Mexican), Wild Wings (wings), Angus Barn (ok, I have never been, but it's the most expensive and famous steakhouse here)

Downtown Raleigh: Caffe Luna (Italian (actually, we had our wedding reception here)), Tir Na Nog (Irish pub), Bogart's (really fancy American, martini bar), Mellow Mushroom (pizza)

North Raleigh/Wake Forest: Ted's Montana Grill, Twisted Fork (gourmet deli), Bella Italia (pizzeria)

Raleigh: State Farmer's Market Restaurant (Southern)

Map1.gif