Political Science - Fall 2011 Cycle

adaptations

Not sure about the Harvard acceptance. I guess it's feasible that a prof did it through private communication, but I was under the impression that they were one school where it was all centralized through GSAS...?

Note: I'm a Harvard app and I haven't heard anything.

Edit: Whoever added the Duke acceptance on top of the Stanford, congratulations. Should be an interesting choice, depending on your subfield.

Edited by balderdash

Just emailed Thom Wall about the Harvard acceptance. Unfortunately, " some admits are out" is definitely fake.

Good to know, but that might be policy to keep the decisions quiet. It's in their interest to not let people know that admits are out, otherwise they get a flurry of frantic emails/calls from the de facto rejects.

Edited by balderdash

Good to know, but that might be policy to keep the decisions quiet. It's in their interest to not let people know that admits are out, otherwise they get a flurry of frantic emails/calls from the de facto rejects.

My interpretation is that there isn't rejection per se, but that each applicant gets ranked, and the offers go to their top choices. As the top choices decline, they move to the next candidates. So there's no reason to reject a candidate this early, when that would preclude making him an offer if the next guy says no. Besides, isn't it better to still consider yourself in the running?

I just called University of Michigan and they said they are planning on notifying decisions to all applicants by the end of next week.

My heart definitely stopped for a few seconds when I heard that.

Good luck. I thought about applying to UMich even though it would've been a reach for me.

PS I love the University of Phoenix admittee who attempted to defend the school's standing...and made rather conspicuous grammatical errors in doing so. Oops.

To the previous poster who said online school doesn't mean nothing - I only applied to Phoenix University Online bc I had to care my kids while staying at home. How am I sposed to find time for collage when I need to care my kids?

Edited by firefly28

In at Washington University in St. Louis. E-mail came today. $20,000 stipend first year. Assistantship of about 16 hours per week in future years. Pretty relieved and excited after the Duke ding. Letter says they are aiming for a class size under 10.

Edited by Viking

In at Washington University in St. Louis. E-mail came today. $20,000 stipend first year. Assistantship of about 16 hours per week in future years. Pretty relieved and excited after the Duke ding.

Congratulations! I didn't apply, but I'm curious - what's your subfield? Research interests?

PS I love the University of Phoenix admittee who attempted to defend the school's standing...and made rather conspicuous grammatical errors in doing so. Oops.

There is also this one on the results page:

University Of Phoenix Online

English, PhD (F11)

Rejected via E-mail on 3 Feb 2011

A 3 Feb 2011

I can not believe they did not except me.

In at Washington University in St. Louis. E-mail came today. $20,000 stipend first year. Assistantship of about 16 hours per week in future years. Pretty relieved and excited after the Duke ding. Letter says they are aiming for a class size under 10.

Me, too. Very happy because my research interests (judicial politics/empirical legal studies) match up very well.

Congratulations! I didn't apply, but I'm curious - what's your subfield? Research interests?

Thanks. I'm American Politics. I'm in the institutions camp, and I want to study Congress primarily.

Edited by Viking

Just FYI Harvard only makes a single round of admissions decisions. I can't imagine, based on some personal information, that they are out this early. Someone may have gotten a phone call or informal communication from a faculty member, but official offers have almost certainly not been made. When they are made, they will all come

Came around noon EST for me.

Also in at WUSTL (Comparative) same package as described above. Research interest comparative elections/legislatures (main regional focus Africa) surprised WUSTL liked that! Email came in at 12.16 EST.

In at Duke this morning. My field is African Political Economy...somewhere between Comparative and IR.

Sorry, but I have to ask: your name seems awfully similar to mine, especially since we're in the same subfield...

Anyway, I have to say that the waiting is driving me bonkers. I don't know about you guys, but I keep swinging back and forth between "I'm going to get accepted lots of places" to "God I hope just get in somewhere."