Political Science - Fall 2011 Cycle

adaptations

I received notice of admission to the University of Florida Public Policy track of the Ph.D. program today in the mail. No funding for me though, so I will likely be turning it down unless I can somehow negotiate funding.

I received notice of admission to the University of Florida Public Policy track of the Ph.D. program today in the mail. No funding for me though, so I will likely be turning it down unless I can somehow negotiate funding.

It never hurts to ask a school to match the funding package you would get elsewhere...

I saw someone post on the board about Georgetown being done? Is that true? How did the acceptances above here back?

I'm not holding my breath at this point with how many rejections I've gotten, but there's still that little flurry (oh, it's tiny) of hope.

I saw someone post on the board about Georgetown being done? Is that true? How did the acceptances above here back?

I'm not holding my breath at this point with how many rejections I've gotten, but there's still that little flurry (oh, it's tiny) of hope.

From what I hear, Georgetown admits in two waves. The first wave receives funding, the second wave does not. So I don't think they're done at this point.

From what I hear, Georgetown admits in two waves. The first wave receives funding, the second wave does not. So I don't think they're done at this point.

But do you think the first wave is done? I mean, can't really go to Georgetown without funding...

But do you think the first wave is done? I mean, can't really go to Georgetown without funding...

Not sure about the waves. I was accepted over the weekend and was told not sure about funding yet (which means WL for the 2 fellowships/assistantships they give out for each sub-field).

I also applied to G'town (haven't heard anything) despite their dismal funding record and I've often wondered how anyone could afford it. Apparently a lot of people do Ph.Ds without funding, but that must cost over 200K.

Yes, they do admit people without funding, but I don't see enough admits on the board to think they're done with their acceptances with funding.

Congrats to all those with an acceptance by now!!

Does anyone know whether Columbia and MIT have completed their admissions process? Have not heard of anyone getting rejected from these schools yet - but don't know if that means to expect rejection, another round of admissions, a trickle of acceptances, and/or some waitlists... The uncertainty is driving me nuts, though I have to say I'm not feeling optimistic at this stage.

Any insights very much appreciated!!

I got rejection from MIT last week...

Congrats!

I had never heard of that program, and thought what an unwieldy acronym. Then I looked it up, and it's actually CREEES! IMO, acronyms for research centres/institutes should be no longer than 4 letters. When I see CREEES my internal voice renders it like Shatner with KHAAAAAANNNNNNN!!

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming.

Bases on previous results, Maryland seems already done with the admission. People who received offer in March (through mail) for the past years were international students living outside the states. will this year be different? hope so!

Perhaps. But several people in the forum haven't heard anything yet despite rejections being already given out and Maryland going by previous years do not notify their waitlisted applicants on their own (you have to personally ask) until there's a final admit/reject decision.

Congrats!

I had never heard of that program, and thought what an unwieldy acronym. Then I looked it up, and it's actually CREEES! IMO, acronyms for research centres/institutes should be no longer than 4 letters. When I see CREEES my internal voice renders it like Shatner with KHAAAAAANNNNNNN!!

They could have rearranged the letters. Georgetown calls the same program CERES (Center for Eurasian, Russian and Eastern European studies.

Gotta love the hoyas. :)

Gosh, they really enjoying torturing us, don't they? I have been accepted into some other better-ranked school...But I really want this one cuz of the fit.

Exactly the same situation - I think it's just an ego thing for me. And I would have given it a chance on a visit...

Congrats!

Columbia spells their equivalent program MARS, which gets points for creativity.

I see you applied to FIU--you hear from them yet? There's an admit on the results page.