Political Science - Fall 2011 Cycle

adaptations

Is anyone still in Chicago Limbo? I haven't heard anything yet, so I am assuming it's a rejection.

I am. I think Chicago is normally late responding to rejected applicants, but they could also be reviewing them for the MA program.

That said, they gave 1 March as the response day, so we might hear something tonight.

What the hell is going on with Cornell?:angry:

This was the message sent by Cornell some time ago: "We should have our decisions made the first week in March. If you do not hear from the online system by the 2nd week in March, please contact me."

I am. I think Chicago is normally late responding to rejected applicants, but they could also be reviewing them for the MA program.

That said, they gave 1 March as the response day, so we might hear something tonight.

Me three. On the online application it says we'll receive it by e-mail in the first two weeks of March, so let's hope for something this week. Then again, acceptances will probably not come by e-mail since no one else actually follow their protocol.

Apparently UNC is starting to send out rejection e-mails now; I have yet to receive one, or any news in general (the site says that my decision is not yet available). That probably just means that they haven't gotten around to e-mailing me the rejection yet :huh:

Apparently UNC is starting to send out rejection e-mails now; I have yet to receive one, or any news in general (the site says that my decision is not yet available). That probably just means that they haven't gotten around to e-mailing me the rejection yet :huh:

I haven't received anything yet either. What are your sources?

That post on the board wasn't mine, but I did receive a rejection email this morning, so that's at least two firm "no" responses.

Ah sorry to hear that, hope another program works out for you :)

March 1st: still nothing. no news is good news. keep my fingers and toes crossed.

Trying to keep this mindset, but more thinking that no news is the same as bad news...i hope not though!

Emailed a Berkeley prof I was in contact with and still haven't gotten any feedback. Maybe they're still making decisions...

OK, I checked

http://thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?q=%28politics|government|political%29+Columbia&t=a&pp=25

and

http://thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?q=%28politics|government|political%29+GWU&t=a&pp=25

seems that both Columbia Univ. and NYU have done with PhD admissions. I am definitely rejected. Now I hope the pain ends sooner.

I just had a question for the Harvard admits: Does Harvard not want a writing sample? Did all you Harvard admits not submit any of your work? This seems strange...

On the Government admissions website <http://www.gsas.harv.../government.php>, it says "Applicants are requested not to submit writing samples".

Same goes for the Yale admits. A writing sample is not required, says the FAQ here: <http://www.yale.edu/...m/applying.html>

What gives?

I mentioned this to my LOR writer, who was shocked. He mentioned it to a colleague in the Harvard Government department, who didn't know that this was department policy. Apparently, approximately one fourth of applicants send in samples anyway (way to follow directions), but he was very surprised, and decided to look into it.

I think the concern regarding the absence of samples is that additional emphasis is then placed on GRE scores and, well, pedigree, diminishing the opportunity for non-traditional applicants or applicants from less well-known schools to stand out from the pack.

(I didn't apply to Harvard, btw)

In other news, it's getting very quiet around here. Eerily so. Where in the world are the remaining responses? It's crazy how many posters' signatures indicate that they're still waiting on the majority of their expected responses. I keep trying to will my inbox to fill up, but the force is not strong in me.