Political Science - Fall 2011 Cycle

adaptations

There's probably a thread about this somewhere, so I don't want to make a thread for it.

I'll be visiting campus' coming up. Does anyone have recommendations for questions to ask? I figured on asking each of the professors I speak with what the current direction of their research is. Also asking the head of the graduate programs about summer funding and conferences. What else do you think is good to ask?

Also, I have an interview for a fellowship at one university. I'm figuring they'll want to know who I am specifically wanting to work with, and to make sure that I'm familiar with the work of the professors there. Also they'll want to know what specific things I hope to work on. Is there anything significant that I'm missing?

There's probably a thread about this somewhere, so I don't want to make a thread for it.

I'll be visiting campus' coming up. Does anyone have recommendations for questions to ask? I figured on asking each of the professors I speak with what the current direction of their research is. Also asking the head of the graduate programs about summer funding and conferences. What else do you think is good to ask?

Also, I have an interview for a fellowship at one university. I'm figuring they'll want to know who I am specifically wanting to work with, and to make sure that I'm familiar with the work of the professors there. Also they'll want to know what specific things I hope to work on. Is there anything significant that I'm missing?

I started a thread to try and answer that question over here:

It looks like I have the dubious distinction of being the first person on this board to be rejected by UNC. I came in first in something this year! Yes!

I think someone else beat you to the punch. And I'm still in limbo, which suggests that I may not be far behind you.

No mention of funding at all. Does that mean they have no more to offer? Have other Georgetown admits received funding info yet?

I saw on the results forum that someone received a fellowship. I was waitlisted for funding.

No mention of funding at all. Does that mean they have no more to offer? Have other Georgetown admits received funding info yet?

Georgetown is strapped for funds so full funding is only going to about half of the people who go.

Edited by Count de Monet

Edit:

Just contacted Cornell, out of curiosity.

There were glitches in the grad school's application system; applications didn't reach the Govt dept until recently (far more recently than that last email would have us believe); adcom is meeting this week; decisions begin next week.

Cornell's made decisions; strange timing - they must have pulled up my file or something, after I contacted them.

Umm, I'm in at Cornell - just received an email!!

Does Chicago do rejections before acceptances? I'm just surprised I haven't heard anything yet...I'm still waiting on a couple others...I wish they would just send official rejections. It would be happy to just be done with this and KNOW. -sigh-

Does Chicago do rejections before acceptances? I'm just surprised I haven't heard anything yet...I'm still waiting on a couple others...I wish they would just send official rejections. It would be happy to just be done with this and KNOW. -sigh-

I'm one of those who received a Chicago rejection today. Looks like there were a few acceptances earlier in February, so they may be done, unfortunately.

Same anxiety with GWU here.

yes this process is painful!! however, from last year it looks as though GW really does wait until mid-march to release decisions, so we can postpone severe anxiety for another week or so. by the way, does your GW app say "Under Review" when you log into Apply Yourself?

Edited by Polly_Sigh

I'm one of those who received a Chicago rejection today. Looks like there were a few acceptances earlier in February, so they may be done, unfortunately.

Right after I posted that, I remembered the acceptances from Valentine's Day.

Well, then, hurry up with the official rejection, Chicago!

Just received a reply from an e-mail inquiry to Vanderbilt. Another rejection, though this one was by far the nicest, presumably because it was an individual reply and not just a mass notification. I'm relieved that my application season is almost at an end; have three more to wait on but would be happy to attend the one I have.

better than Boston University I guess...I didn't see anybody being accepted have funding...or one, perhaps.

Yeah, BU is terrible for funding, especially Political Science. I got my Master's in IR there, and that department actually has a lot of graduate assistantships. Not much pay, but it cuts the tuition roughly in half per semester you do it. But my friend who's doing is Ph.D. in Political Science there has had to work his butt off to get funding. Often times you'll have you TA or something from the get-go.

Yeah, BU is terrible for funding, especially Political Science. I got my Master's in IR there, and that department actually has a lot of graduate assistantships. Not much pay, but it cuts the tuition roughly in half per semester you do it. But my friend who's doing is Ph.D. in Political Science there has had to work his butt off to get funding. Often times you'll have you TA or something from the get-go.

Went to BU for undergrad (where they are excellent for funding). It's true, though, then funding for graduate school there is difficult to come by.

Just received a reply from an e-mail inquiry to Vanderbilt. Another rejection, though this one was by far the nicest, presumably because it was an individual reply and not just a mass notification. I'm relieved that my application season is almost at an end; have three more to wait on but would be happy to attend the one I have.

well congrats on the one you have! if you'll be happy to go there, then just think about how easy your decision will be! i am still waiting... waiting... waiting. i just wish i had one in my back pocket at this point, but as time goes on the chances seem slimmer and slimmer.... only one "official" rejection so far though so maybe there is still a glimmer of hope....

One of the reasons I didn't apply to BU was due to the funding thingy. I was discouraged browsing their department website where they kind of strongly state that they want their PhD students to work their butt off and always be scared of losing funding. Florida also does that btw. They explicitly state the funding is not guaranteed but a student should expect to receive funding if they're enrolled in X amount of courses etc etc.

Anyhow, am I the only one in this board who hasn't heard anything from Maryland yet?

well congrats on the one you have! if you'll be happy to go there, then just think about how easy your decision will be! i am still waiting... waiting... waiting. i just wish i had one in my back pocket at this point, but as time goes on the chances seem slimmer and slimmer.... only one "official" rejection so far though so maybe there is still a glimmer of hope....

I would say so. You got waitlisted at LSE, so you must have a quality application; I'm sure you'll receive good news shortly, and then all the agony will be worth it.

Cornell's made decisions; strange timing - they must have pulled up my file or something, after I contacted them.

Umm, I'm in at Cornell - just received an email!!

Also in at Cornell for theory... tough decisions lie ahead.

I would say so. You got waitlisted at LSE, so you must have a quality application; I'm sure you'll receive good news shortly, and then all the agony will be worth it.

thanks... yes i'm trying to stay positive! (stress on trying :) )