University of Arizona

Indiana University

University of Georgia

Cranbrook

MassART

CalArts

University of Nevada, Reno

San Jose State

This is my second try. Last year I applied to fewer schools and only two of them on this years list are a repeat. I also was able to visit a lot of schools in person this year which strongly changed my impression of them!

Some look good on paper but are not great in person and vice versa. Good luck everyone.

Can you expand on what programs you changed your mind on after visiting and what caused you to have a better impression of them?

I sure can.

First of all I do not believe in "bad" MFA programs/schools I only believe in finding the right ones for you. This all comes down to the kind of work you do, the work that the other students are producing in the program, and the teachers.

So I have visited ASU, OSU, Indiana University, Univ. of Arizona, Cranbrook, Columbia, and SAIC (this year).

In two of the visits I got to sit in on some of the critques too. (I got to see a critique at Indiana and at Cranbrook).

I have got to say I am honestly no longer a fan of a majority of the private art schools. After seeing them in person, I felt trapped in a small narrow environment. I like to have diversity around me, meaning I prefer to be in schools that have more than just art majors.

Of course as you can see I am still applying to a few private schools though....

I also find the assistantships to be less professional than the public schools. I feel that a program should have a strong teaching assitantship because some of us may go on to become teachers and we should at least get 2 or 3 years of experience before we go into the real world.

Having said that I am just one person with an opinion. I don't want to discourage you if you are applying to a lot private art schools.

Just got email notification of an interview for Yale.

Excellent! I hope it goes well for you. Let me know what kind of questions they ask you.

I thought about applying to Yale, RISID, and all these other well known programs but I figured

my chances are slim to non of getting into a program like Yale. My personal top choice

(based on visiting schools this year) is ASU.

YAY for your interview !! I showed my friend your work and we are both very impressed, I think you are on to something. Good luck!

March 10th. A whole month of having a new thing to worry about!

Congrats on your Yale interview. That's pretty awesome.

I'm 8 years out of undergrad with a non-visual art background (Film studies major, theatre minor). Although the last 2 years i've done two semester's worth of photography and art history at various schools.

I'm probably a bit of a wild card as candidates go.

Slightly wilder with a UK BSc from '98 and no semesters worth of photo or art history. Most of the below that I applied to inferred it was pretty much all on the portfolio:

Pratt

Parsons

NYU

SVA

ICP-Bard

Some info through from Pratt but still trying to understand what it means

Well what do you know, rit emailed and have got everything.

Everything, that is except a toefl - presumably because people in the uk don't speak english obv.

Theys Yanks is avin a larff innit bruv!

ICP-Bard gave me an exemption from TOEFL and a phone conversation with a member of the admissions team. Did have a handy excuse that I'm in the sticks in 'Frika tho ;)

Any words from RISD yet?

Anybody applied to MassArt?

just curious....

I haven't heard anything from any school I applied to, other than rejection from Yale... ><;

Edited by bubuli

I'm right there with ya, no word from RISD. But March is coming quick...the month of reckoning right? :-) Fingers crossed for ya! (for me too! lol)

Any words from RISD yet?

Anybody applied to MassArt?

just curious....

I haven't heard anything from any school I applied to, other than rejection from Yale... ><;